Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 massive lies the Bible tells re Jesus

seeder

Controversial post I know

If you saw somebody flying up into heaven in a cloud of magic sparkles, you’d probably at least Instagram it, right?

So how come 2,000 years ago, no historian seemed to notice when Jesus did the same – despite ‘dozens of eye-witnesses’ seeing him do it?

A San Francisco-based atheist writer has argued in a series of controversial essays and books that there’s something distinctly fishy about the whole Jesus story.

Fitzgerald, an atheist activist, says, ‘There is a paradox that Jesus did all these amazing things and taught all these amazing things yet no one heard of him outside his immediate cult for nearly 100 years.

‘Or it means he didn’t do all these things at all…’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/22/5-massive-lies-the-bible-tells-about-jesus-5769183/#ixzz43fKRMZCv

• Like 2

Oh for ****'s sake, not another smartarse atheist who deliberately doesn't understand symbolic language just so he can mock religion. :sleepy:

• Like 6

Where in the New Testament does Jesus actually say, "I am the Messiah."?

Edited by Elsupremo
  • Like 1

Jesus' story is fishy? That's not news. Critical thinkers have been able to conclude the same thing for millenia. Any story with that much magic, smiting, and talking animals should be viewed with skepticism. Or, y'know, as a work of fiction.

• Like 7

Oh for ****'s sake, not another smartarse atheist who deliberately doesn't understand symbolic language just so he can mock religion. :sleepy:

I agree, nothing is more ripe for mere symbolism than ideas like 'salvation' and 'resurrection'. But atheists aren't the ones you need to lecture to about those mere symbols.

• Like 6

There are plenty of people who take religious texts, literally, and that tends to cause a whole lot of turmoil when they clash with each other. The facts are that there is no historical evidence for any of that stuff that was discussed..and a whole lot more that wasn't discussed. Saying so is just being truthful, not mocking. If it wasn't for smartarses telling it like it is, we'd probably still think the Earth is flat and that the universe revolves around us. I'm sure it was considered a mockery of the bible when it was discovered that wasn't the case.

• Like 6

1-jesus was just a foot note for hist. just a rabbi who was crucified.

2-yes. again only a dozen people saw him do it.

3-what to mention about a man who said to pay your taxes.

4-herod would have stopped anyone from mentioning the killing of the children.

5-you have to what the star is for. herod saw it but didn't what it meant.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Like 1

Almost every culture has/had a God/s... and its not just Jesus and the Father

whose God is right tho?

Yep, the one that says you cant worship any other God but him apparently....and the churches which pass round a collection bowl/hat at the end of the service even tho Jesus allegedly freaked out at money in the house of God (churches).... and lord knows, pardon the pun, how rich religion is, just ask the Pope

12 Greek Gods and Goddesses

http://www.britannica.com/list/12-greek-gods-and-goddesses

Major Gods of the Roman Pantheon

http://www.unrv.com/culture/major-roman-god-list.php

Hindu Gods & Goddesses

http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm#.VvHD8XphfIU

• Like 2

The 10 Richest Religions in the World

(No-1. is the Roman Catholic Church)

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/world/the-10-richest-religions-in-the-world/?view=all

• Like 1

do listen.... objectively pls

• Like 6

People two millennia ago kept quiet for the same reason many do today: fear and ridicule. We can speak freely about the supernatural today, but they didn't have that freedom in Jesus' day. We may still get ridiculed for speaking, but we don't fear death by recounting our tales.

• Like 1

I must admit, I find all five points very good points.

And the bible has the introduction that says, 'take this as symbolic'?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Oh for crying out loud! The article mentions cake, you mention cake, now I want cake!!!
  • Like 2

I belonged to the Teamsters Union when I drove trucks for a living. Utah was a Right-To-Work state, meaning that Union membership was not a condition of employment. Union members paid monthly dues to the union, and our Union solidarity led to good wages and decent working hours. Non-union workers were exempt from paying dues, though by law they enjoyed the same good wages and decent working hours that the dues-paying Union members enjoyed. But make no mistake: if for some insane reason we had "voted out" the Union, we would all have been working for minimum wage the very next day.

Western Civilization is similar. The Judeo/Christian ideology that we adopted centuries ago has led to the highest levels of justice and equality in the world. And like the Teamsters, citizens don't have to be Jewish or Christian to enjoy all the benefits that a Judeo/Christian society offers. But again, if we continue diluting our society with anything other than Judeo/Christian ideology, we will become like the Middle East or China or Albania. As we can see playing out in Europe, there is no in-between. Secular society is a myth.

10,000 years of recorded human history has proven that Judeo/Christian ideology is the one most likely to lead to greater freedom and justice for all of us. Look around the world: we don't have time to experiment any longer! If we don't regain our solidarity soon, the enemies of Western Civilization will go through us like a hot knife through butter.

• Like 2

I belonged to the Teamsters Union when I drove trucks for a living. Utah was a Right-To-Work state, meaning that Union membership was not a condition of employment. Union members paid monthly dues to the union, and our Union solidarity led to good wages and decent working hours. Non-union workers were exempt from paying dues, though by law they enjoyed the same good wages and decent working hours that the dues-paying Union members enjoyed. But make no mistake: if for some insane reason we had "voted out" the Union, we would all have been working for minimum wage the very next day.

Western Civilization is similar. The Judeo/Christian ideology that we adopted centuries ago has led to the highest levels of justice and equality in the world. And like the Teamsters, citizens don't have to be Jewish or Christian to enjoy all the benefits that a Judeo/Christian society offers. But again, if we continue diluting our society with anything other than Judeo/Christian ideology, we will become like the Middle East or China or Albania. As we can see playing out in Europe, there is no in-between. Secular society is a myth.

10,000 years of recorded human history has proven that Judeo/Christian ideology is the one most likely to lead to greater freedom and justice for all of us. Look around the world: we don't have time to experiment any longer! If we don't regain our solidarity soon, the enemies of Western Civilization will go through us like a hot knife through butter.

So, are you saying we should believe they are not lies? I don't think you needed to have the side story here.

Frankly, North America, in my feeling and what I have come to understand through reading and such, would have done well, if it hadn't been taken over by our ancestors. I have come by these thinking and realized to myself how they had been going on like that for thousands of years.

Right now, there seems to be a division in this country, and it seems half of it is fueled by varying versions of the Judeo/Christian ideology. I even see it in these threads. In fact, we should have had our solidarity a long time ago, if this was the case.

The 10 Richest Religions in the World

(No-1. is the Roman Catholic Church)

http://www.theriches...world/?view=all

i have said this before the catholic church is not a christian church, it is a pagan one. some of it's members may be but the church isn't.

It's really sad that you can look at theocracy in action...and all the horrors that it brings...and still claim that theocracy is the solution.

• Like 5

It's really sad that you can look at theocracy in action...and all the horrors that it brings...and still claim that theocracy is the solution.

It's beyond ludicrous.

• Like 2

I know what the ancient meant in their terms. Jesus soon did die after surviving the cross and went to heaven.

I agree, nothing is more ripe for mere symbolism than ideas like 'salvation' and 'resurrection'. But atheists aren't the ones you need to lecture to about those mere symbols.

True

The other possibility is that christ worked real physical miracles including the manipulation of matter and energy. I have had many worked on me, so I know they are possible.

I tend to attribute them to advanced technologies

I would suspect that at least some humans know first hand the miraculous powers of "gods' and how they can connect to a human mind and body, and thus write about them and accept the stories of others who write about them It is always dangerous to simply assume ANYTHING is impossible as modern science is beginning to show us. On the other hand IF something is possible, it is made possible by natural abilty or technology, not by magic or the supernatural/mystical.

So, are you saying we should believe they are not lies?

TML:

Seeder started the topic with this statement: "Controversial post I know".

I believe my contoversial reply added some balance.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

Almost every culture has/had a God/s... and its not just Jesus and the Father

whose God is right tho?

Yep, the one that says you cant worship any other God but him apparently....and the churches which pass round a collection bowl/hat at the end of the service even tho Jesus allegedly freaked out at money in the house of God (churches).... and lord knows, pardon the pun, how rich religion is, just ask the Pope

12 Greek Gods and Goddesses

http://www.britannic...s-and-goddesses

Major Gods of the Roman Pantheon

http://www.unrv.com/...an-god-list.php

Hindu Gods & Goddesses

http://www.sanatanso...tm#.VvHD8XphfIU

The "right" god is the one by whom, following its instructions, you improve your life and that of your fellow human beings in measurable outcomes .

In a sense any god can be right or wrong depending how you perceive its instructions, and how you follow them.

Edited by Mr Walker

if we continue diluting our society with anything other than Judeo/Christian ideology, we will become like the Middle East

What you're not seeming to grasp is that Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions. It all springs from the same source. The ideology really isn't very different if you're going to take the texts literally. A Christian theocracy here, still honoring the Old Testament code, would look much like the Middle East does today.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 5

i have said this before the catholic church is not a christian church, it is a pagan one. some of it's members may be but the church isn't.

You say you don't worship Joseph Smith, and they say they don't worship the saints. And on and on it goes. Everyone pointing the finger at everyone else and claiming to be the one true group of Christians. It really doesn't improve your image to talk each other into the dirt. If you asked yourself what Jesus would do...I don't think it would be that.

• Like 3