Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 massive lies the Bible tells re Jesus

seeder

The 10 Richest Religions in the World

(No-1. is the Roman Catholic Church)

http://www.theriches...world/?view=all

I wonder how much the lawsuits have eaten away, and how many people they have left filling the pews.

• Like 1

TML:

Seeder started the topic with this statement: "Controversial post I know".

I believe my contoversial reply added some balance.

Not that I can possibly connect your first bit, and then maybe the second bit of your post, but you didn't really answer my question. ( I don't believe I'm even going to think how controversial seeder's post or your's might happen to be. )

So is there any point to this thread other than to provide a vehicle for Seeder's hatred of religion? He posts a video entitled "Religion is bullsh*t", and says "please listen... objectively pls". Right, so a video entitled Religion is bullsh*t" is really going to approach the subject from an objective viewpoint isn't it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

So is there any point to this thread other than to provide a vehicle for Seeder's hatred of religion? He posts a video entitled "Religion is bullsh*t", and says "please listen... objectively pls". Right, so a video entitled Religion is bullsh*t" is really going to approach the subject from an objective viewpoint isn't it. :rolleyes:

If someone one can't stand up and say this is bullsh*t, then all discussion ends. As a Pagan I am told my religion is bullsh*t on a regular basis, I am amoral and going to hell for my sins by people who have know idea as to what it is about. Fine with me, I'll have lot of friends there. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If your faith can't stand up to opposing points of view, then maybe it is bullsh*t. It hurts me to no end when Abrahamics say the Earth is a place of evil and Satan's kingdom. You're talking about my mother. We have created the societies we live in, if the Earth is Satan's kingdom it is because we have made it so. By saying the Earth is Satan's kingdom it was given permission to those who way waste to her for their own proposes of greed. You have every right to your opinion, but don't think I don't have a right to mine.

• Like 7

Oh for ****'s sake, not another smartarse atheist who deliberately doesn't understand symbolic language just so he can mock religion. :sleepy:

I am an atheist and I understand symbolism. But religion is merely the opinion of the people, it should never be taken as a scientific truth.

• Like 3

As irreverent as he might have been, George Carlin made some very good points. Of course, if you're afraid they might shake the foundations of your belief system...don't watch.

• Like 6

i have said this before the catholic church is not a christian church, it is a pagan one. some of it's members may be but the church isn't.

As pagan as Mormonism right?
  • Like 2

Oh for ****'s sake, not another smartarse atheist who deliberately doesn't understand symbolic language just so he can mock religion. :sleepy:

You should tell all those Christians every word of their Bible is just symbolic.
  • Like 2

As pagan as Mormonism right?

How does anybody know that Joseph Smith didn't just want to convince his wife that it was ok to have a harem? I mean, really. Seer stones. How dense does someone have to be?

• Like 1

Atheism, the new religion. :rolleyes:

Atheists are just as bad, if not worse, than those who follow various religions. Why protest so much against something you don't believe even exists?

Edited by WoIverine

Hey, as the resident Pagan I am offended. Catholics and Mormons are not Pagans. :sm

• Like 3

Just as bad, if not worse, than those who follow various religions.

Criticizing religion is now a religion. I see you put a lot of thought into that.
  • Like 3

How does anybody know that Joseph Smith didn't just want to convince his wife that it was ok to have a harem? I mean, really. Seer stones. How dense does someone have to be?

He best thing that guy did was getting shot.

Atheists are just as bad, if not worse, than those who follow various religions. Why protest so much against something you don't believe even exists?

Well, gee...if you haven't looked around lately, it kind of affects the world.

• Like 2

Criticizing religion is now a religion. I see you put a lot of thought into that.

Here's the thought I put into that:

Now tell me it's not becoming it's own religion.

He best thing that guy did was getting shot.

The brown rock that is supposedly Joseph Smith's seer stone is as much a relic as the supposed bones of any saint. I'd like the Mormons to try and claim there is no reverence for it. Idolaters!

The OP's link is promoting this how?

Besides I'm not sure how this can be worse than worshiping a jealous and petty god who polices your thoughts.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

You act like humanists are a new thing. People crave social contact, and music, and coffee. Like-minded individuals sometimes gather together. These people have decided to do charitable things just for the sake of doing charitable things, and not with some weakly veiled underlying motive of conversion.

If it's a church, shouldn't they be worshiping a god? It's pretty clear that they're just celebrating life and trying to help other people.

• Like 2

Hey, as the resident Pagan I am offended. Catholics and Mormons are not Pagans. :sm

I dunno...the Catholics have Brighid and the Mormons have seer stones. They should quit throwing stones at each other while they're living in glass houses.

• Like 3

The OP's link is promoting this how?

From the OP: "A San Francisco-based atheist writer has argued in a series of controversial essays and books that there’s something distinctly fishy about the whole Jesus story."

Stands to reason that his whole shtick stems from his atheistic viewpoint, that much is obvious. Nice dissuasion of a valid point though, props for that.

You act like humanists are a new thing. People crave social contact, and music, and coffee. Like-minded individuals sometimes gather together. These people have decided to do charitable things just for the sake of doing charitable things, and not with some weakly veiled underlying motive of conversion.

If it's a church, shouldn't they be worshiping a god? It's pretty clear that they're just celebrating life and trying to help other people.

Exercises in apologetics.

From the OP: "A San Francisco-based atheist writer has argued in a series of controversial essays and books that there’s something distinctly fishy about the whole Jesus story."

Stands to reason that his whole shtick stems from his atheistic viewpoint, that much is obvious. Nice dissuasion of a valid point though, props for that.

So refute the claims that were made by the writer with your overwhelming evidence and an abundance of historical records indicating the opposite.

All this person is doing is showing the glaring lack of evidence for these particular claims. Show them to be wrong about it, or you're guilty of attacking the source and not addressing the questions.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

They're an atheist? Yeah, that's not what I asked.

Where is the writer promoting the church from your video?

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

Not that I can possibly connect your first bit, and then maybe the second bit of your post, but you didn't really answer my question. ( I don't believe I'm even going to think how controversial seeder's post or your's might happen to be. )

TML-

The battle for Western Civilization is ultimately about restraint, and not specifically about Islamic vs. Judeo/Christian ideology. The natural tendency of humankind is to throw off restraint and live according to whatever one's passions lead to. That sounds good to someone who equates unrestrained passion with freedom, but it inevitably leads to societal corruption. (Unrestrained sexuality, for example, has led us back to slavery: just a few days ago, Congress passed a bill mandating special training for airline Flight Attendants, to help identify victims of sex trafficking on commercial flights. It took centuries for us to abolish Western-style slave labor, and only one generation to enable another type of slavery. This is happening right now, right here in America.)

Judeo/Christian ideology is bound by the Biblical injunction to "do unto others as you would have others do unto you." That alone should be enough to lead us to a society that demands freedom and justice for all, but the principle must be grounded in a unifying ideology or we begin to "do what is right in our own eyes." Thus far, Judeo/Christian ideology, when held accountable to its own principles, has proven to be the ideology that is most able to unify us and to lead to "freedom and justice for all".

The word "progressive" is a word used mostly in politics, though it should be used to compare the differences in various ideologies throughout the world: which ideology has shown the most progress going forward? Yes, there are differences in doctrine among Jewish and Christian denominations, but we've progressed to the point where we no longer behead one another. The "do unto others" principle has compelled us to live peacefully side-by-side. We no longer engage in violent battles for dominance.

Yes, there are peaceful Muslims. Unfortunately, the battle for dominance in Islam now appears to be progressing toward the unrestrained violence and sexuality of ISIS-type jihadists, and peaceful Muslims are being murdered along with everyone else.

Murderous jihadists won't defeat us with religion; they have merely to join forces with like-minded individuals who enjoy a life without restraint. The jihadists have found the perfect combination to appease the consciences of their followers: murder and rape to your heart's content, and you will be greatly rewarded in Heaven! An internet search for angry young men will supply them with all the recruits necessary to destroy our society. That is what is being played out in Europe.

The internet has given us "social change on steroids". There is no time left to discuss which ideology is best for society. We choose now, or the choice will be made for us. I'm not saying that to scare people into belief in God. I'm just stating the reality of what is happening in the world today.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

No really...if it's a church, tell me which god they're worshiping. Share the hymns and prayers with us. Poetry and secular music doesn't count. Show me they're praying to some higher power, and then you can call it a religion.

• Like 2