Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 massive lies the Bible tells re Jesus

seeder

Someone tries to respond with some reasonable points and that's the response they're met with? I mean, don't bother to try to respond to any of the points, will you. An offhand dismissal is much more effective.

Is this comment directed at me or MC?

There's no debating going on here. Practically everyone has staked their ground and are skirmishing at the borders. Funny how some Atheists claim religion doesn't rule their lives, yet constantly talk about God and Christianity, all day, everyday.

I think that's a good thing.

Not that "Christ" was against slavery either.

What?

Is this comment directed at me or MC?

You were the one whose quote I posted. or post I quoted.

In that case, I made that comment because I felt it was relevant. MC is just a lost teenage boy and his commentary rarely leads to understanding.

• Like 1

First: Is that a subjective or objective point of view? Do you think everybody thinks this.

Second: Why don't you go ahead, post that context of the four gospels and compare with the various sayings that is also within the contexts of other religions and of an Atheist point of view.

Let's see if everyone agrees with what is better than the other.

So how is it, that one can choose in which one is the right one and which is the wrong one? If it's still part of the bible, then we're still talking about the bible, all of it.

Since practically all the punishments for crimes and sins under Mosaic law are against the law or non sequitur in practically ever predominantly Christian country in the world, those choices have already been made. The Bible is not Christianity. I t is a collection of documents on which Christianity is, partially, based. Picking and choosing has always been an option.
  • Like 1

Wrong. Tell Mr. Salty he's incorrect.

Again...I have to ask if you've read your bible. Indeed, there is a belief that Jesus descended into Hell after his death to release the souls that had gone there prior to his salvation. The Apostle's Creed, which is widely used by many Christian denominations clearly states this.

The Apostles' Creed (Latin: Symbolum Apostolorum or Symbolum Apostolicum), sometimes titled Symbol of the Apostles, is an early statement ofChristian belief—a creed or "symbol".[a] It is widely used by a number of Christian denominations for both liturgical and catechetical purposes, most visibly by liturgical Churches of Western tradition, including the Roman Catholic Church, Lutheranism and Anglicanism. It is also used byPresbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists.

Here is part of the Creed with the line that he descended into Hell...

I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,

suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, died, and was buried;

he descended into hell.

On the third day he rose again;

he ascended into heaven,

he is seated at the right hand of the Father,

and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

It seems the more posts I see from you, the more apparent it is that you don't know a lot about your religion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj90NGO9dnLAhXC5SYKHUl0BfAQFgg5MAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHarrowing_of_Hell&usg=AFQjCNF26VhxNS5eJrWWWefy7uYJZhgrJw

Edited by ChaosRose

In that case, I made that comment because I felt it was relevant. MC is just a lost teenage boy and his commentary rarely leads to understanding.

You must try to understand from a perspective outside of the the box (even though it is about the perspective inside the box):

the-holy-bible.jpg

B.T.W., I am approaching forty. And to be Christ-like, is to be child-like (I don't think acting like a two year old is productive to humanity):

1 John 2:6

He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Matthew 18:3

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Revelation 12:5

And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

manchild

An adult male who still posesses psychological traits of a child. Traits include, but are not necessarily limited to:

- whining

- pettyness

- trying to pass the blame for their own underdeveloped judgement

- not "stepping up to the plate" when it's their role to.

- secretly still finds 3rd grade bathroom humor amusing.

- is able to connect with his children, but only as another child, not as a father.

- not to mention an overall insecurity in who he is as a man, from which similar traits sprout.

• Like 1

Since practically all the punishments for crimes and sins under Mosaic law are against the law or non sequitur in practically ever predominantly Christian country in the world, those choices have already been made. The Bible is not Christianity. I t is a collection of documents on which Christianity is, partially, based. Picking and choosing has always been an option.

It seems to me, you can correct me of course, that you are stating the positives and negatives of this. So, in a sense, are you agreeing with me? I know, that is how I have felt about it, what you post. Edited by TheMustardLady
  • Like 1

MC does seem to know more about your bible than you do, barbco.

• Like 2

manchild

An adult male who still possesses psychological traits of a child. Traits include, but are not necessarily limited to:

- whining

- pettiness

- is able to connect with his children, but only as another child, not as a father.

- not to mention an overall insecurity in who he is as a man, from which similar traits sprout.

Sounds like a confession, MC. a Freudian slip on your part, perhaps?
  • Like 1

So maybe Christians should quit picking and choosing Leviticus. That would be really great. They were willing to let go of all the other stuff. There aren't many Christians out there still thinking that shrimp and poly-cotton blends are an abomination.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

It seems to me, you can correct me of course, that you are stating the positives and negatives of this. So, in a sense, are you agreeing with me? I know, that is how I have felt about it, what you post.

We make choices concerning the Bible, everyday. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life, or eschew retaliation and vengeance and turn the other cheek is one we make most often.
  • Like 1

Again...I have to ask if you've read your bible. Indeed, there is a belief that Jesus descended into Hell after his death to release the souls that had gone there prior to his salvation. The Apostle's Creed, which is widely used by many Christian denominations clearly states this.

The Apostles' Creed (Latin: Symbolum Apostolorum or Symbolum Apostolicum), sometimes titled Symbol of the Apostles, is an early statement ofChristian belief—a creed or "symbol".[a] It is widely used by a number of Christian denominations for both liturgical and catechetical purposes, most visibly by liturgical Churches of Western tradition, including the Roman Catholic Church, Lutheranism and Anglicanism. It is also used byPresbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists.

Here is part of the Creed with the line that he descended into Hell...

I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,

suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, died, and was buried;

he descended into hell.

On the third day he rose again;

he ascended into heaven,

he is seated at the right hand of the Father,

and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

It seems the more posts I see from you, the more apparent it is that you don't know a lot about your religion.

https://www.google.c...WWefy7uYJZhgrJw

Again, I'm going to be kind because I realize you continually ask me if I've read my Bible because YOU clearly have not. The Apostles Creed in NOT in The Bible. Furthermore, you say it is apparent I don't know a lot about my religion: that's interesting, considering I don't claim to have one. So, what religion is it that I don't know much about?

We make choices concerning the Bible, everyday. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life, or eschew retaliation and vengeance and turn the other cheek is one we make most often.

The ideologies of vengeance and wrath just don't seem very divinely inspired to me. I wonder how people reconcile those ideals with turning the other cheek. They're completely in opposition to each other.

• Like 1

MC does seem to know more about your bible than you do, barbco.

Uh huh. It seems you are young as well. I will forgive all of your juvenile comments on this basis.

Again, I'm going to be kind because I realize you continually ask me if I've read my Bible because YOU clearly have not. The Apostles Creed in NOT in The Bible. Furthermore, you say it is apparent I don't know a lot about my religion: that's interesting, considering I don't claim to have one. So, what religion is it that I don't know much about?

Derp. Did I say it was in the bible? No. There are passages in the bible that people are getting these ideas from, and they are widely held Christian beliefs.

If you actually looked at the link which I already posted, it lists every verse from the bible that talks about the supposed descent into Hell to free the just who were deprived of getting into heaven until Jesus released them.

https://www.google.c...117604692,d.dmo

Again posted for you.

If you believe a savior was needed...have you asked yourself why? If there was no savior yet to take away the sins of the world, where do you think the dead would go?

This is all hypothetical to me, of course. But I can't understand you not having some concept of this as a Christian.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Uh huh. It seems you are young as well. I will forgive all of your juvenile comments on this basis.

I'm probably older than you, honestly. But your ageism is duly noted.

It's obviously juvenile to post links to the biblical quotes you're trying to deny exist.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Derp. Did I say it was in the bible? No. There are passages in the bible that people are getting these ideas from, and they are widely held Christian beliefs.

If you actually looked at the link which I already posted, it lists every verse from the bible that talks about the supposed descent into Hell to free the just who were deprived of getting into heaven until Jesus released them.

https://www.google.c...117604692,d.dmo

Again posted for you.

If you believe a savior was needed...have you asked yourself why? If there was no savior yet to take away the sins of the world, where do you think the dead would go?

This is all hypothetical to me, of course. But I can't understand you not having some concept of this as a Christian.

You start a comment by asking, again, if I have read The Bible; followed by something not even in The Bible. How does that make sense? I don't care what OTHER Christians read or believe. What does that have to do with me? If YOU open a Bible, you will see in 1Peter 3:19-20, it does NOT say hell. Quit googling, read the book.

Why didn't you quote my whole post?

You start a comment by asking, again, if I have read The Bible; followed by something not even in The Bible. How does that make sense? I don't care what OTHER Christians read or believe. What does that have to do with me? If YOU open a Bible, you will see in 1Peter 3:19-20, it does NOT say hell. Quit googling, read the book.

You keep demonstrating to me that you haven't. And yet you sound so certain in your faith, when you don't even seem to know what it is.

I have read the book. Plenty. I was forced to. And that was the first mistake...actually making me read it.

You can look at different translations, but the best thing to do is see what it originally said. For the Jews it was Sheol, and everyone went there.

Maybe you should ask yourself why it's such an unfathomable thing to you that Jesus might descend into Hell to bring the righteous people to heaven. Is it just that it's me bearing the news for you?

I have to ask again...why do you think a savior was needed? Where do you think the dead would go if there was not yet a savior who had died for them?

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

You must try to understand from a perspective outside of the the box (even though it is about the perspective inside the box):

the-holy-bible.jpg

B.T.W., I am approaching forty. And to be Christ-like, is to be child-like (I don't think acting like a two year old is productive to humanity):

1 John 2:6

He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Matthew 18:3

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Revelation 12:5

And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

manchild

An adult male who still posesses psychological traits of a child. Traits include, but are not necessarily limited to:

- whining

- pettyness

A better translation for Hammer's post:

i_know_you_are_but_what_am_i.jpg

The ideologies of vengeance and wrath just don't seem very divinely inspired to me. I wonder how people reconcile those ideals with turning the other cheek. They're completely in opposition to each other.

Yes. Sounds like something written by man, which it was. If there is a God, and admittedly, from a purely rational and scientific perspective, a very big if, everything we know concerning the creator is filtered through our own humanity and innate biases. Picking and choosing isn't only an option--it's an absolute necessity.

A better translation for Hammer's post:

i_know_you_are_but_what_am_i.jpg

5471277387_f55c9254c7.jpgThe real MC.
  • Like 1

hey athiests. nice try. we see you are trying to proselytize here. why try? just ignore the christians and others and let us be? OHHHHHH I GET IT, you want to persecute us.......ahhhhhhh just go mind your own business.

• Like 1

attention christians: stop posting here. atheists will cry about this being some kind of spirited debate (pun intended) all about educating and understanding, but its really not. its about trying to get us to doubt our faith........and that is pure evil.

atheists who do this are evil. whats that like atheists? to be evil? does it make you sleep good at night? knowing that you caused someone to get their head's mixed up?

jesus would have said that we love our enemies and forgive you. but that makes you writhe with hate doesnt it? the idea that someone would need or feel the need or desire to forgive YOU? that you are somehow wrong for what you are doing?

thats what separates many of us from many of you, that you do not understand evil, or that evil could even exist at all. that you may be guilty of this evil. this is why you do in fact need god.

good day