Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 massive lies the Bible tells re Jesus

seeder

Were you drunk when you wrote that^?

http://dwindlinginun...s-in-bible.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Inquisition

Not even mentioning how horrible it is for all the people living in a "house of God", it is not like the t.v. show 7th Heaven, which is so not like how things really are. I have never seen a house even remotely close to that.

What you guy's think you are:

220px-MotherTeresa_094.jpg

What you guy's are actually more like:

220px-KKK_night_rally_in_Chicago_c1920_cph.3b12355.jpg

I can't believe you would liken us to the disgusting Mother Teresa.

My favorite site for all things Christian ~ modern ancient classic and definitive :

The mission of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL) is to build up the church by making classic Christian literature widely available and promoting its use for edification and study by interested Christians, seekers and scholars. The CCEL accomplishes this by selecting, collecting, distributing, and promoting valuable literature through the World Wide Web and other media.

There is an extensive MP3 library those who are more inclined to listen rather than read ~

~

• Like 2

I do feel, you have replied with a pretty good description to how there is a term of 'children' in there. I can see that.

But, if children are all humble, then I'm seeing the wrong children. Including my own at that age. I would think it's up to parents to get them humbled. ( you and I as mamas of grown children have done that, right? )

But then again, the point of views back then most likely does not mirror today's. In fact, I remember reading somewhere, during the 16th century, children were considered little adults and had to act like them. 'be seen and not heard'

I'm just reflecting here.

I understand, that maybe you have had some real life situations to occur for you to have the 'reflections' ( to put it mildly :D ) I see in your posts. But, I feel sometimes, nothing is an excuse.

I do see you as very grounded, but as this is a board for skeptics and spiritualists I would think we should take everyone's belief or lack there of in consideration.

I would agree, being told to grow up ( and I know I have done it myself. :o ) can be a bit put offing. Sorry Barbco.

I think some people can sense their end and how. It could be where they live to what they do. I like to think MC wont be murdered, I feel he 'know' something within him. I have done this myself, predict my end. I have told people I work with, that I see myself, when the time comes, clutching my heart, squeezing out a whispery and vocal "Quelp!" before I hit the floor with not some much of the grace one sees fainting characters do in the movies. Yup, I see my end will be with a heart attack. I wouldn't be a surprise.

Edit: Had to

Reason for edit: I hate my computer!!!!

I made that comment because Mystic clearly misunderstood what Jesus was saying about requiring us to become 'like little children' He was the one that first quoted that in an earlier post, followed by his incorrect translation and his definition of a 'man child'. His repeated attempts at boxing all Christians into his horrible experiences is getting old and at his age, he should know better.

• Like 1

You must try to understand from a perspective outside of the the box (even though it is about the perspective inside the box):

the-holy-bible.jpg

B.T.W., I am approaching forty. And to be Christ-like, is to be child-like (I don't think acting like a two year old is productive to humanity):

1 John 2:6

He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Matthew 18:3

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Revelation 12:5

And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

manchild

An adult male who still posesses psychological traits of a child. Traits include, but are not necessarily limited to:

- whining

- pettyness

- trying to pass the blame for their own underdeveloped judgement

- not "stepping up to the plate" when it's their role to.

- secretly still finds 3rd grade bathroom humor amusing.

- is able to connect with his children, but only as another child, not as a father.

- not to mention an overall insecurity in who he is as a man, from which similar traits sprout.

ML, here is the comment I'm referring to ^

I made that comment because Mystic clearly misunderstood what Jesus was saying about requiring us to become 'like little children' He was the one that first quoted that in an earlier post, followed by his incorrect translation and his definition of a 'man child'. His repeated attempts at boxing all Christians into his horrible experiences is getting old and at his age, he should know better.

You think I am having an ego contest? I am not. I am trying to get people to wake up. This world could be so much better without the poisonous teachings of the bible(s).

You think I am having an ego contest? I am not. I am trying to get people to wake up. This world could be so much better without the poisonous teachings of the bible(s).

I promise you, no one needs your words of 'wisdom'. You never have anything nice or positive to say. Tell me how the world needs more of that?! In your case, I don't think it is ego. I think you are a product of a crappy environment. Your views on God and The Bible have been perverted by your experiences. Maybe you should wipe the slate clean and try again.

• Like 2

If the world were more like the teachings attributed to Jesus, it would be a better place. I never heard Jesus say...you're poor? Work harder you lazy moocher!"

• Like 2

If the world were more like the teachings attributed to Jesus, it would be a better place. I never heard Jesus say...you're poor? Work harder you lazy moocher!"

He just flat out shunned them:

Matthew 26:

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

6While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, 7a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

8When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. 9“This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”

10Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11The poor you will always have with you,a but you will not always have me. 12When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Edited by Mystic Crusader

Whatever happened to "Live and Let Live?"

Turn the other cheek...yep, normally I would but MC continually interjects with the words: YOU GUYS. He's entitled to his opinion, he's entitled to write his opinion. When that opinion sticks me in a box with horrible people that have done horrible things, I take offense and will say something.

• Like 2

He just flat out shunned them:

Matthew 26:

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

6While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, 7a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

8When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. 9“This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”

10Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11The poor you will always have with you,a but you will not always have me. 12When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Hmmmm:

Perfume is holy, dogs are not.

Matthew 7:6

Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Revelation 22:15

Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

f41bc99e768b4b1036c2bdad28ed02c8.jpg

Hmmmm:

Perfume is holy, dogs are not.

Matthew 7:6

Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Revelation 22:15

Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

f41bc99e768b4b1036c2bdad28ed02c8.jpg

I can tell you used to be Christian. You are doing some serious theology. You are reading what you want into those verses and defining words to fit your narrative.

• Like 1

This is a book of stories written by nomadic sheepherders 2500 years ago that everyone is getting up in arms about, right? I mean, some of the stories are pretty cool, but is it really worth getting all bent out of shape about? Maybe we should talk about other books. Anyone read any Eco recently? I just got his "Book of Legendary Lands" recently. I'm only about 30 pages in, but it is AMAZING.

I can tell you used to be Christian. You are doing some serious theology. You are reading what you want into those verses and defining words to fit your narrative.

That sign is/was located in my hometown.

Edited by Mystic Crusader

That sign is/was located in my hometown.

You are confusing the Conservative and Capitalistic ideology with teachings attributed to Jesus. They are very different.

• Like 2

Don't worry about that , most Sunday Morning Church goers don't get it either ~

THe Bible is made up of many books but the Bible is but one ~ though many no longer looks upon it as THE source as an entirety but more as in regards towards inspirational as a whole ~ but opinions and sentiments vary as much and as wide as there are individuals ... unless of course you are curious about the official or authoritative view as accordingly to the different sects ... that there is a lifetime of confusion that awaits the curious ... :lol:

~

You see, this is pretty much I have heard through the grapevine. ;)

So you are saying, and I'm not critical or confused or anything, that one particular book was enough? ( kind of like if it still works why update it?

Yes, one useful way I saw suggested how to look at it was to think of it as showing how humanity's view of God and their relationship to God developed, from a tribal god like many others to one whose concern is with humanity as a whole. Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 2

This is a book of stories written by nomadic sheepherders 2500 years ago that everyone is getting up in arms about, right? I mean, some of the stories are pretty cool, but is it really worth getting all bent out of shape about? Maybe we should talk about other books. Anyone read any Eco recently? I just got his "Book of Legendary Lands" recently. I'm only about 30 pages in, but it is AMAZING.

But this thread is all about...the bible.... not books in general

Turn the other cheek...yep, normally I would but MC continually interjects with the words: YOU GUYS. He's entitled to his opinion, he's entitled to write his opinion. When that opinion sticks me in a box with horrible people that have done horrible things, I take offense and will say something.

I agree with you Barbco, there is a lot of diversity in religion and while not every experience of religion is good, neither are they all bad.

There are some posters who are religious and I would hold them up as examples of astounding human beings that I am inspired by. Sharon is one, so is Die checker, Robbie, and HalfAnidiot.

I am one of those that was raised in an ugly version of religion who has since worked through it and what helped me was the compassion, understanding, and validation that indeed religion can be harmful. It was the empathy and willingness of those that were religious who could listen without the need to defend or demean me and in part it was my efforts to see from other perspectives too.

Now a days, I approach learning about religion as one that recognizes and values the diversity of beliefs and convictions within as well as among religions and world views. I enjoy learning about different paths, I am fortunate to be involved in fruitful discussions.

It was the patience and empathy of my religious friends that helped me the most, it don't help me being called names, or told I needed to grow up, for whatever it is worth it only served to polarize the situation all that much more.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

You mean you can make some sense of it?
  • Like 1

You mean you can make some sense of it?

I can read the words without imposing an opinion of what they mean.

• Like 1

If you check out what got added to the Bible and when, you'll find that the "magical Jesus" got more and more magical with repetition. He started out pretty much like anybody else, but as the story got retold, he started becoming more "godlike." That is not a bad argument for there actually having been a "HISTORICAL" Jesus.

The Bible is not really lying - those folks believed they were telling the truth.

Doug

• Like 5

This is a book of stories written by nomadic sheepherders 2500 years ago that everyone is getting up in arms about, right? I mean, some of the stories are pretty cool, but is it really worth getting all bent out of shape about?

TOG -

The reason it's important for some of us is because of where we are in World History. At this point in time, there are really only two choices: the "fairy tales" of the sheepheerders or the "fairy tales" of the camel herders. I don't mean that derogatively, it's just meant to point out that those primitive "fairy tales" have evolved into modern-day ideologies that oppose one another.

Do we want to live in a world of Judeo/Christian jurisprudence or Sharia jurisprudence? Are the lessons drawn from the sheepherders' "fairy tales" better than the lessons drawn from the camel herders' "fairy tales"?

Western Civilization has had a good run, but now it's being challenged by an ideology that wants to rule the world their way instead of ours. This is the endgame for them. We can bomb them, welcome them, bribe them, etc., but nothing we do will deter them from their goal unless we agree among ourselves that the sheepherders' values are better than the camel herders' values, and we draw a line in the sand. We have to accept that not all ideologies are created equal.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

Thread cleaned

Let's try to keep this discussion civil please folks.

• Like 5

I promise you, no one needs your words of 'wisdom'. You never have anything nice or positive to say. Tell me how the world needs more of that?! In your case, I don't think it is ego. I think you are a product of a crappy environment. Your views on God and The Bible have been perverted by your experiences. Maybe you should wipe the slate clean and try again.

irony-alert-ironic.jpg

Just to be clear regarding your first paragraph: Are you saying that Christians are showing love to non-believers by proselytizing? In the same way a non-smoker tells a smoker that they may die from smoking?

Absolutely It is all subjective of course, but if i know another person is doing anything which might harm themselves, especially if it also has a harm or cost to others, then I have a duty to tell them this. if i didn't love them or care about them from a religious or spiritual understanding, I would still have the duty of secular humanism to another human being, but to do this out of love or compassion is different to just acting from duty/responsibility

In general, adults have a right to hurt themselves if they don't also hurt others who are not consenting, but this doesn't mean I shouldn't try and talk them out of hurting themselves or, in extreme cases, physically prevent them from doing so. it is also true that if i have knowledge of how a person can live a happier healthier life, then i should tell them and not keep that knowledge to myself.

Asimov's first law. One can't let a human come to harm by inaction, either.

I tell other people that, if the open themselves to the cosmic consciousness (or, if you prefer, an inner level of raised self consciousness)they can live a life without fear, loneliness, anger hate etc

That is true, but all i can do is TELL them.

If i didn't give a damn about others i would just live my life as happy as I am and let so many other humans live a half life, fulfilling only a small part of their true potential.

I cant speak for all proselytisers on any subject, but hat s why I bother.

Acting is more important than words, of course, as my mother and wife always remind me it is not enough ONLY to love and to care, if you never act to help others due to that love and compassion. .

Edited by Mr Walker