Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Planet 9 a threat?

BigD1998

http://www.space.com/images/i/000/052/736/original/planet-nine-160120c-02.jpg

Well, it hasn't been yet confirmed (i.e. observed directly), however a few scientists at Caltech have said that there is a planet somewhere out there that has a strange elliptical orbit. From NONE of these official sources did it ever dispute whether or not it's going to hit us. Btw, I provided a link above, and if that map is correct, is it directly on a collisional path with earth? I've heard it'll bring doom upon us on March 26, this year supposedly, but you can't always trust these people. Some of them are either insane, don't know what they're talking about, or something along those lines. Some sources (particularly the doomsayers) are saying that it is coming from behind the sun and will destroy earth relatively soon. Is this even possible?

Some sources (particularly the doomsayers) are saying that it is coming from behind the sun and will destroy earth relatively soon. Is this even possible?

No.

It is said by the researchers who made the calculations that it's closest approach to the sun would be 7 times farther than Neptune and passing every 15.000 years. As for the speculations on the mystery of Planet X, some claims that we have found no less than Nibiru, the home of the Anunnaki, our supposed creator according to Zecharia Sitchin's interpretation of Sumerian mythology. But needless to say these kinds of theories aren't well-regarded in the scientific community.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 5

Jim Green and others from NASA give a hypothetical overview on so called (possible) 'Planet X'...I take more notice of what NASA has to say - rather than silly conspiracy drama queens who 'want to believe' the world is going to end nearly every year.

http://solarsystem.n...planets/planetx

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 4

People like you really are the small hope for humanity that we have left. This doomsday BS has been going on for TOO LONG NOW! First, there are people out there killing themselves because of such trash as this! In fact, a few years ago, I read a story of a teenage Indian schoolgirl who had drank pesticide out of fear for what may or may not have come in 2012. And she's not alone either.

This type of pessimism really is affecting people, but in the most negative ways you could imagine! They claim that NASA are liars when they have contributed more to our knowledge than these doomsayers, who have only brought psychological warfare, mindless propaganda lies, and ultimately fear itself. In fact, I'm going to quote Pat Condell for a minute when I say that religion is fear dressed up as virtue. I mean think about it, what is one thing that EVERY major religion promises? LIFE AFTER DEATH! In fact, I would even go as far as to say that religion in general as a whole is built upon the very fear of death itself. Am I wrong? Fear is what these people preach, fear is what these people bring and fear is what drives them in the first place! This stone age way of thinking is a perfect explanation for why almost every major religion was written in the stone age! Sure, while there may have been a few recent, but the thing is, we can actually confirm that these people were either con artists looking for profit (see L Ron Hubbard of the $cientology clique) or people who are just simply insane and have no logical or even rational basis (see Joseph Smith of the Mormon fame).

And furthermore, trying to give an exact date when the world is going to end and even going as far as to give a single cause for it is like trying to pinpoint an exact date and time when your great great great granddaughter is going to get married, even going as far as to predict the ethnic background of her husband. It's pointless and will get you nowhere. Even people with the highest IQs in the world can't even figure out exactly when the world is going to end. The reason is because human knowledge as a whole, regardless of how high it is, will ALWAYS be limited. We cannot always predict nature. Nature sometimes is something that will only reveal itself when the time is right. Why do you think weather reporters can be wrong sometimes? How come we cannot predict an exact time when a tornado is going to touch down before it even happens (unless it already has, of course) or even be correct that a tornado is present? Why do you think they always have a watch before a warning? Why does it not happen sometimes even when there was a watch? It's because we can never be sure! Nature will figure out when the time is right for us to go. It won't happen all in one day, it'll happen SLOWLY over a long period of time!

If something the size of a planet were only 48 hours distant from earth I imagine we'd already be experiencing some effects. The moon is only 240,000 miles away and it regularly heave trillions of tons of water up and down around this planet. It's roughly 1/6 the size of earth if I remember correctly. So unless this planet is traveling incredibly fast, we'd have felt it's approach by now.

No.

It is said by the researchers who made the calculations that it's closest approach to the sun would be 7 times farther than Neptune and passing every 15.000 years. As for the speculations on the mystery of Planet X, some claims that we have found no less than Nibiru, the home of the Anunnaki, our supposed creator according to Zecharia Sitchin's interpretation of Sumerian mythology. But needless to say these kinds of theories aren't well-regarded in the scientific community.

I'd have to agree, it is so far away that other then tossing the occasional Oort Cloud bit toward the inner solar system, it is unlikely to have any effect at all.

'Planet X'...

Although now with Pluto being a dwarf planet, this mystery planet would be Planet IX, now, right?

• Like 3

I'd have to agree, it is so far away that other then tossing the occasional Oort Cloud bit toward the inner solar system, it is unlikely to have any effect at all.

Although now with Pluto being a dwarf planet, this mystery planet would be Planet IX, now, right?

no, planet x is the unknown planet.

Just so everyone knows, IX indicates the number 9 in Roman Numerals.

Oh, and the mythical Planet X (or Nibiru) of Sitchin fame has not been demonstrated to exist.

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 4

I've heard it'll bring doom upon us on March 26, this year supposedly, but you can't always trust these people.

You can never trust "these people". All this doom and gloom about comets colliding with earth, planet X causing tidal waves and catastrophes, Nibiru returning and destroying earth, etc. are complete and total BS.

Put it this way, how many times have they been right? This stuff comes from silly websites like beforeitsnews.com where trolls, hoaxers, con artists, cranks, etc. just post utter nonsense with no editorial control. There's a constant stream of these articles claiming that some terrible astronomical event is about to happen, they give a date, the date goes by and nothing happens.

I've read dozens and dozens of these articles claiming to predict the end of the world and apart from the obvious fact that they never turn out to be true, they are clearly written by cranks, references are never given, or references to scientists or institutes are given who don't appear to exist according to a Google search, or the only reference is to an actual genuine piece of astronomical research which they have hilariously distorted and turned into something else.

You can safely ignore this story just like you can safely ignore any claim that Planet X, Nibiru or something else silly is going to cause the end of the world on a specific date at some point in the near future.

• Like 2

^^^exactly what Jesse said about sites like beforeitsnews. There are tons of similar sites who appear like a news source. Truth is, they publish pretty much whatever is submitted to them. Then those articles get spread around the internet. And too many people accept it as a true news story, not even questioning the source or using any logic as to the story. Sad times indeed...

Um, why did you post that link? It's just clips some from random basketball match.

If something the size of a planet were only 48 hours distant from earth I imagine we'd already be experiencing some effects. The moon is only 240,000 miles away and it regularly heave trillions of tons of water up and down around this planet. It's roughly 1/6 the size of earth if I remember correctly. So unless this planet is traveling incredibly fast, we'd have felt it's approach by now.

Never mind feeling the effects of its approach - we'd be able to see it.

This is obviously something a lot of people have trouble visualising, but from any point on the surface of the Earth, you can see half the sky. Thus, in theory, two people on opposite sides of the Earth can see the whole sky.

There is simply no way an object can approach the Earth without being seen. (Unless it's small, in which case it isn't going to be a major threat.)

Wrong link, srry.

Can you tell us something about the video, please, so we can choose whether to click on it?

• Like 1

Wrong link, srry.

Meh, a few minutes into this video and this is just typical pseudoscientific Youtube nonsense.

Is there anything in specific you find convincing or interesting in this video? Videos like this with a talking head making wild claims in front of cheap graphics are a dime a dozen on YouTube. What is exactly interesting about this video that you think makes anyone should actually watch it?

Edited by JesseCuster

People complain that we don't see every 100 meter wide asteroid, but expect a planet sized body to sneak across the solar system and rush on by us??? This is either naive to the extreme, or just simply stupid.

• Like 2

if planet 9 were a threat we would have known about it years ago.. the planet that the babalionies reported seeing, i think was halley's comet.

People complain that we don't see every 100 meter wide asteroid, but expect a planet sized body to sneak across the solar system and rush on by us??? This is either naive to the extreme, or just simply stupid.

|Not only that but to report that a possible planet in the outer extremes of the solar system is going to swing by us on March 26th? In 2 days? It would literally need to be travelling at relativistic speeds or even faster than the speed of light to get from where it's suspected to be to earth by the predicted date, i.e. tomorrow.
  • Like 1

|Not only that but to report that a possible planet in the outer extremes of the solar system is going to swing by us on March 26th? In 2 days? It would literally need to be travelling at relativistic speeds or even faster than the speed of light to get from where it's suspected to be to earth by the predicted date, i.e. tomorrow.

From what I've read this mystery planet is supposed to be between 200 and 1200 AUs out. We'll call it 600 for discussion purposes. To travel 600 AUs in two days would require a speed in excess of the speed of light. For light to reach 600 AUs it would take (c/AU*600) = 83 hours = approximately 3.5 days.

So Kirk, Spock and Scotty could get from Planet 9 to Earth in 48 hours at Warp 1.7.

• Like 1

Well thats not a collision course but when you say it passes every 15,000 years i think it is an obvious possibility that it could be causing the upset that seems to happen about every 14,000 years. So possibly meteor showers and altered weather.

Well thats not a collision course but when you say it passes every 15,000 years i think it is an obvious possibility that it could be causing the upset that seems to happen about every 14,000 years. So possibly meteor showers and altered weather.

It's estimated to be just over half the mass of Neptune and it hypothesized orbit, at it's closest point is about 7 times further away than Neptune. How exactly is that going to alter the weather?
  • Like 3

It's estimated to be just over half the mass of Neptune and it hypothesized orbit, at it's closest point is about 7 times further away than Neptune. How exactly is that going to alter the weather?

it won't directly. consider this tho no matter how big it is, it is still a dwarf planet.

planet 9 would have to come in as close as Saturn, in order to be able to see it by eye.

it won't directly. consider this tho no matter how big it is, it is still a dwarf planet.

No it isn't. It is estimated to have a mass 10 times that of earth. How is that a "dwarf planet"?

No it isn't. It is estimated to have a mass 10 times that of earth. How is that a "dwarf planet"?

according to the new rules, a dwarf planet has not cleaned out its orbit. which also makes earth a dwarf planet.