Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We know NOTHING!

acute

our tiny human brains

You mean, the most complex thing in the known universe?

You mean, the most complex thing in the known universe?

Doesn't comparing our brains to the known universe just illustrate the point perfectly though? It's the same level of arrogance - generally speaking, not meaning your personal viewpiont - that was held by those who refuted heliocentrism for centuries. We're still essentially the same. As a species, most of us may accept now that we aren't physically at the centre of the universe, but mentally we still act like we're the pinnacle of creation.

We steadily progress, but how much do we actually know within the known universe? There's the old adage that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do about the surface of the oceans on our own planet. The knowledge of our solar system changes all the time. What is it, around twenty years since the Kuiper belt was observed? As far as my own extremely limited knowledge of astrophysics goes, isn't the Oort cloud still only theoretical too? Then you move on to understanding of gravity, time, etc.

Back on earth, what do we do with these incredible brains of ours? Don't get me wrong, I love the advances in science and technology that may mean I see a fellow human set foot on Mars within my lifetime, but then you have to ask whether, if we're so smart, shouldn't we perhaps solve the issues in our own part of the universe before we start looking where to move next; children dying of starvation and preventable diseases, man killing man. Maybe we need to learn to walk before we try to run, let alone fly?

If the brain is indeed the most complex thing in the known universe, I'd say it has a lot of testing to undergo before it gets too carried away with its own brilliance.

Edited by LV-426

If the brain is indeed the most complex thing in the known universe, I'd say it has a lot of testing to undergo before it gets too carried away with its own brilliance.

Wow, that was a rather large rant against things that were never said.

The number of connections between synapses in the human brain does indeed make it the most complex thing in the know universe. That's not arrogance, that's no claim of brilliance, just a cold, hard fact.

• Like 3

Wow, that was a rather large rant against things that were never said.

The number of connections between synapses in the human brain does indeed make it the most complex thing in the know universe. That's not arrogance, that's no claim of brilliance, just a cold, hard fact.

Hey, come on now, "rant" is a bit harsh, and I hope I made it clear that "arrogance" was aimed at mankind, not Emma ;)

I know we're in the Space Exploration, Spaceflight and Astronomy section, but bear in the context of the topic in the OP.

Perhaps the brain is the most complex thing we know within our own limited scope, but that in no way guarantees it to be the most complex thing in the universe. It might be utterly primitive compared to the unknown, which is the point I believe was being made in the OP.

Apologies if you thought it was a rant though. I spend too much time in the political sections :blush:

Edited by LV-426

Perhaps the brain is the most complex thing we know within our own limited scope, but that in no way guarantees it to be the most complex thing in the universe.

But no-one implied or said otherwise. So who exactly is this point supposed to be aimed at?

But no-one implied or said otherwise. So who exactly is this point supposed to be aimed at?

Why does it have to be aimed at someone in particular?

Man alive... it's just an opinion, to go along with the memes, God and salary discussion amongst the other posts!

I feel like I've just stumbled into a science convention after a beer or two, only to watch tumbleweeds blow across the floor as I'm met with disapproving glares through thick-rimmed glasses :no:

Uh-oh... I can already feel the incoming storm from the glasses comment...

I'll get my coat...

Thanks.

$100,000+ are the highest salaries though. That's like saying that because my CEO is on $900k, that graphic designers receive "fat paychecks". We don't. And the average researcher at Caltech is on $50k.

And to be honest, $100k is £60k - I don't know about where you are, but in London that's not that fat.

I earn more then most researches at Caltech :)

Gods I love mining..