Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thylacine sighted in Australian coastal town

UM-Bot

Being extinct hasn't stopped the elusive Tasmanian tiger from making an appearance every once in a while.

One of the best known examples of a species that was driven to extinction by human hunting, these striped carnivorous marsupials have been the subject of numerous unconfirmed sightings over the years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...an-coastal-town

• Like 1

What a shame he hasn't got a dashcam.

• Like 1

Maybe there are a few of them in hiding. If you were hunted, you'd hide too.

• Like 2

:clap: I hope this is true. To bad he wasn't able to get a picture of it. They need to set up some camera traps in the area it was seen. Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 4

There have been a number of such sightings over the years on the mainland, but it is pretty unlikely to say the least.

• Like 1

I have read about so many sightings of these animals over the last decade that I have doubts they are extinct.

• Like 1

I hope this is true and that they are not extinct. It would be wonderful.

• Like 3

It might still be around, or not. Cos it just looks like a common dog..

I heard that on the News about a year or two ago... At first we thought it might be a Dingo, but then there were reports that Kangeroo's heads were being ripped off (which is what that does). It being extinct over 60 years ago might mean it never was extinct. Maybe there was a couple left, and now there are more coming back.

• Like 2

The very fact he didn't capture it on camera in this day and age, refutes it entirely

Hardly, but without it, it is nothing more than talk.

The very fact he didn't capture it on camera in this day and age, refutes it entirely

Not at all. He was driving. I see cool things while driving all the time. I never have my camera ready though.

Now if he said it was in his back yard for a bit, a pic should have been taken.

I still hold out some hope of this animal still being around. Very little hope because history shows us that it wasn't very shy.

Well I hope it lives. Even though I'm not an Aussie, I've always felt badly for this animal, driving to extinction and then allowing the last one in a zoo to die of exposure. A real testament to man's poor treatment of nature.

This doesn't surprise me, although the location does. Maybe these are the descendants of the few dozen Thylacine that Neo-conservationists secured decades ago before the last died in a zoo.

A tiger sighting on Tasmania is improbable, but possible. But on the Australian mainland where they went extinct over two thousand years ago? That's just wishful thinking.

This doesn't surprise me, although the location does. Maybe these are the descendants of the few dozen Thylacine that Neo-conservationists secured decades ago before the last died in a zoo.

That is highly unlikely but I like the sentiment.

If they found one they could just clone the bloody thing nowadays

We already have it's DNA. It's just down to how to repopulate them. Clone them or artificially inseminating a close relative and have a hybrid.

There have been a number of such sightings. I do hope it is not just a dingo that's bred with some brindle coat dog....