Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

civil or religious oath

back to earth

All are bound by defined civil laws, whereas only those of faith are bound by "God's laws", and even then somewhat selectively, and open to interpretation.

Civil should be the only option, regardless of faith.

This makes a lot of sense.
  • Like 1

I dont think it is in there .

Maybe you mean matt 5;34 , but this needs to be read in context with 5 33 where it is said not to break one's oath .

So, seems a bit contradictory ( in the Bible ??? surprise surprise ! )

yes that is true but the rest of the chapoter is about not swearing.

Seems like cursing, swearing, oaths and vows have gotten all mixed up, somehow.

• Like 1

Oh no ........ Danial lost has it all worked out ^

and dont swear in court either :su

• Like 1

Seems like cursing, swearing, oaths and vows have gotten all mixed up, somehow.

cursing was not a consideration. the other three are the same thing.

I swear to tell the truth, and the whole truth because jail food is lousy.

• Like 3

Oh no ........ Danial lost has it all worked out ^

and dont swear in court either :su

courts allow you the term I affirm I will tell the truth. no swearing.

courts allow you the term I affirm I will tell the truth. no swearing.

So, if you call a sin by another name, it's no longer a sin? You must think God is stupid.
  • Like 2

I swear to tell the truth, and the whole truth because jail food is lousy.

There you go!!!!!! This should be the accepted alternative!!!!

(Then again, a lot of us have been conditioned cruelly by the high school cafeteria lunches!!! :o )

• Like 1

or the worst of them all hospital food! :wacko:

• Like 1

So, if you call a sin by another name, it's no longer a sin? You must think God is stupid.

it isn't swearing or an oath at least not on the bible or god. your just making a promise not to lie.

it isn't swearing or an oath at least not on the bible or god. your just making a promise not to lie.

That's what vowing a vow and swearing an oath IS, Charlie Brown. I don't think God is at all concerned with what word we use for it, or that we do it. God isn't even God's name, so you'd really have to do some research to take that in vain, too.
  • Like 2

That's the way the courts do not. Daniel is just reporting the facts. Call it what you want.

Doug

• Like 1

That's the way the courts do It. Daniel is just reporting the facts. Call it what you want.

Doug

There. All fixed, now. Yeah, call it what you want, except call it one thing and it's a sin and by another name it is not.
  • Like 2

There. All fixed, now. Yeah, call it what you want, except call it one thing and it's a sin and by another name it is not.

I should read what I post.

The very existence of an oath is an implication that the person is a liar. Even an "affirmation" is just a word game.

Doug

• Like 1

The very existence of an oath is an implication that the person is a liar. Even an "affirmation" is just a word game.

Doug

An oath is just a ritual promise. I don't think God troubles himself overmuch over the syntax and semantics of one of his minor creations.
  • Like 1

Don't get me started. <_<

I may go on about how miraculous the experience of having my son at a particular civilian hospital, and that is, it pretty much was. To the care, and the stay there. But, why bother giving me a menu to choose from, when you don't HONOR IT!!!

So, yeah, too conditioned from high school cafeteria food and

Doug

:hmm: A very interesting thought.

yes that is true but the rest of the chapoter is about not swearing.

i thought it was about repealing the old covenant and teplacing with the new
  • Like 1

I did manage to lose close to 30kgs over a 8 week stay in hospital. Largely due to the food. The Convalescence Diet is for anyone at anytime.

• Like 2

Still in court - it goes on and on and on (at least this time , I get paid ! ) .

Each witness gets asked to make a civil or religious ( to 'almighty God' ) oath .... 'almighty' ? ? ?

Sounds funny to me in court . Anyway, you can choose. Thing is, it seems BS to me and, as I thought I observed, also to a VERY sus criminal guy .... ( I say that as he has convictions already) who took the religious oath.

It seems pointless, if you dont believe in 'almighty God' and take that oath by choice, you would be laughing inside.

Yeah sure guys .... I will swear to Bugs Bunny that this is the truth .

Which version would you swear to ?

I swear on the constitution, because that is one document that I cherish and try to protect.

• Like 1