Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI is seeking ET around red dwarf stars

The SETI Institute is aiming to find evidence of aliens in a place where nobody had thought to look.

Red dwarf stars are much smaller and cooler than our sun, properties that at first glance might seem to rule them out as promising places to look for planets capable of supporting alien life.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/293262/seti-is-seeking-et-around-red-dwarf-stars

This is great, but I hope they don't plan on waving a flag to let them know we are here. I admit, I do worry about that part.

:alien:

• Like 1

SHUT UP! About Seti. It is a scam to deflect attention on possibilities. It is a multi-million dollar joke. Stop waisting everybodys time.

SHUT! THE **** UP! About Seti. It is a scam to deflect attention on possibilities. It is a multi-million dollar joke. Stop waisting everybodys time.

Care to explain your position a bit more?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

I know this answer but someone who has the lingo and time please reiterate the simple reason why we aren't hearing ETs like we thought we would have by now?

Of course the main reason being that the universe and galaxies and stars within are all moving at the speed of light proportionally from one another...therefore a radio signal would never "catch" up to a receiver that's listening for one.

Please explain SETI folks.......

Edited by Atuke

It is reasonably certain that life on other planets is scarce. It is also reasonably certain that intelligent life on other planets is even more scarce. If such intelligent life exists, there is no guarantee that they use radio. It may not have been invented yet and the aliens are still in a stone age, or it may be that they retired it centuries ago except for some special purposes, eg mobile phone signals which are quite weak.

What this all means is that planets with intelligent aliens who use powerful radio transmitters will probably be very rare indeed. if you distribute them evenly throughout the habitable part of this galaxy, even if there are hundreds of them, they will be thousands of light years apart.

Now, consider the situation on Earth. In front of you there is a receiver and transmitter of information. You can "tune in" to almost any reasonably sized radio network on Earth, whether it is in Germany, Brazil or South Africa on the internet. The internet is making large radio transmitters redundant. So an advanced alien civilisation may be radio quiet.

SBS radio Australia at the link

http://www.sbs.com.a...Chill-2-out-now

Even if it is not radio quiet, all broadcast radio & TV antennas are designed to transmit most of the power out as horizontally as possible, since there are few customers in space. An AM or FM transmitter with 100,000 watt input to the final amplifier will struggle to put 35,000 watts into the antenna and maintain low distortion. Of that, as much as possible is sent out sideways. Whatever gets out of whatever atmosphere they have will be as little as possible.

Galaxies and big stars are massively more powerful than radio transmitters. It is only with great patience, huge antennas, receivers cooled to way below freezing and long scanning can radio astronomers detect the whispers of radio noise from them. If some alien is transmitting more or less directly to us, from within our cosmic backyard we might detect it. Otherwise, looking for their TV and radio signals is close to futile.

Edited by Codenwarra
  • Like 2

Care to explain your position a bit more?

Cheers,

Badeskov

SETI is a smokescreen for whats Really Going On. The government knows about Teh Alienz already and has been using their tech for years. How else can you explain things like the leap from VHS to DVD?

• Like 6

I know this answer but someone who has the lingo and time please reiterate the simple reason why we aren't hearing ETs like we thought we would have by now?

Of course the main reason being that the universe and galaxies and stars within are all moving at the speed of light proportionally from one another...therefore a radio signal would never "catch" up to a receiver that's listening for one.

You should first ask someone to explain the expansion to you, since you have an incorrect view of it.

Harte

• Like 2

The internet is making large radio transmitters redundant. So an advanced alien civilisation may be radio quiet.

Even our web is partially based on radio waves and the web cannot, and will never, replace radio transmitter/receiver

communication technology. Or have you ever heard that the ISS1 and all other orbiting satellites and exploring space

probes are connected with the Earth by glass fibre cables?

Even if it is not radio quiet, all broadcast radio & TV antennas are designed to transmit most of the power out as horizontally

as possible, since there are few customers in space. An AM or FM transmitter with 100,000 watt input to the final amplifier will

struggle to put 35,000 watts into the antenna and maintain low distortion. Of that, as much as possible is sent out sideways.

Whatever gets out of whatever atmosphere they have will be as little as possible.

Galaxies and big stars are massively more powerful than radio transmitters. It is only with great patience, huge antennas, receivers

cooled to way below freezing and long scanning can radio astronomers detect the whispers of radio noise from them. If some alien

is transmitting more or less directly to us, from within our cosmic backyard we might detect it. Otherwise, looking for their TV and

radio signals is close to futile.

Above statement is based on the general misunderstanding that SETI is looking for alien TV quiz show broadcasts and the weather

forecast of NGC7662. Of course, maybe such signals might be detectable someday but such signals are not the main target of the

SETI research program. Key target is the detection of alien originated radio signals/messages that were send out for the reason of

contact, in the same way we did that a few times already, like by the Arecibo Message in 1974 and a lot of others within the METI program .

Even our web is partially based on radio waves and the web cannot, and will never, replace radio transmitter/receiver

communication technology. Or have you ever heard that the ISS1 and all other orbiting satellites and exploring space

probes are connected with the Earth by glass fibre cables?

Above statement is based on the general misunderstanding that SETI is looking for alien TV quiz show broadcasts and the weather

forecast of NGC7662. Of course, maybe such signals might be detectable someday but such signals are not the main target of the

SETI research program. Key target is the detection of alien originated radio signals/messages that were send out for the reason of

contact, in the same way we did that a few times already, like by the Arecibo Message in 1974 and a lot of others within the METI program .

I did NOT write that radio would be entirely abandoned by some advanced aliens. I wrote that it might be retired except for some special purposes. That would include space communications.

The ISS is at an altitude of 350 - 450 km with nothing between it and a ground station except for air. Such distances are easily covered on the ground, with hills, trees etc in between with a 25 watt VHF amateur transceiver, if antennae of transmitter and receiver are modestly effective. They do not have to be gigantic arrays, just adequately high and something perhaps a little better than a quarter wave vertical.

Reaching the ISS with such a signal using a homemade antenna is easy. I have received an amateur band signal from the ISS right here on a Yaesu FT290R on the 144 - 148 Mhz band with the internal wand of the transceiver. Since the astronaut was already talking to someone in Sydney, I did not butt in.

Yaesu FT290R portable amateur transceiver, introduced 1981.

http://radiopics.com...FT-290R.htm Â

Obviously signals sent to Mars, the Voyagers or New Horizons need more power, but the transmitters on those probes are quite low power and depend on great sensitivity of receivers here on Earth. The chances of aliens intercepting uplinks to probes are slim indeed.

Fair enough, but unless the aliens are transmitting continuously with high power, are relatively nearby in cosmic distances, eg within about 150 light years (optimistic) and directing their transmissions in our direction we are most unlikely to receive them.

Edited by Codenwarra
  • Like 1

Fair enough, but unless the aliens are transmitting continuously with high power, are relatively nearby in cosmic distances, eg within about 150 light years (optimistic) and directing their transmissions in our direction we are most unlikely to receive them.

Which we are doing, pretty much, with high powered radars. Much higher power density but, of course, not spherically broadcasted as you point out about radio.

Such a signal, if received here, would (or could) be confirmation of alien intelligence. But, again, unlikely like you said because of signal fade and the directional broadcast.

Harte

SHUT UP! About Seti. It is a scam to deflect attention on possibilities. It is a multi-million dollar joke. Stop waisting everybodys time.

Since SETI is a completely privately funded programme, why do you care what people use their money and time on ?

Oh and why did you even read a thread about SETI if you resent any mention of SETI ?

Where did you get that idea from ?

The solar system is moving at about 220 km/s and the speed of light is 300000 km/s. You do know that 220 is more than a thousand times less than 300000 right ?

• Like 1

Which we are doing, pretty much, with high powered radars. Much higher power density but, of course, not spherically broadcasted as you point out about radio.

Such a signal, if received here, would (or could) be confirmation of alien intelligence. But, again, unlikely like you said because of signal fade and the directional broadcast.

Harte

Omni-directional signals are pretty much gone by the edge of the solar system, so ET is going to have a hard time watching Lucy - or anything else that was broadcast.

The strongest radio signals emitted on a continuous basis are the radar signals from the BMEWS (ballistic missile early warning system) and theoretically they are detectable out to a range of 100-200 light years. The annoying part, I am sure that ET would think, is that not only do they not carry any information, they are also doing frequency hopping to avoid jamming. Oh, the joys....

Just an old thread from years ago for those interested.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 2

I read about this a while back. Supposedly the Red Dwarfs still put out enough energy to have a Goldilocks Zone. And with Red Dwarfs being the most common type of star, and with planets perhaps around every single star. Then this means they are excellent targets to check for signs of technology.

From November of last year...

http://www.space.com/23772-red-dwarf-stars.html

• Like 1

If they find a planet with the potential for life can we call it Krypton? Of course we'd need to ask Warner Bros/DC Comics if it's OK.

What an utter waste of time and resources! .... We already know that there's life around [and in] Red Dwarfs!!

red.dwarf04.jpg

..... and pretty jolly life too. :w00t:

Cheers.

• Like 3

Often wonder if the carpet matches the curtains with red headed dwarfs.

Errr at least I hope that's what we're talking about here.

If what you said was true and the galaxies and stars were all moving at the speed of light proportionally to each other and thus a radio signal would never catch up to a receiver, then it would also be true that we wouldn't be able to *see* stars and galaxies because the light from them could never catch up to us.

In fact what you said is quite wrong. Any stars or galaxies we can observe from earth are obviously not receding at the speed of light or faster because we can in fact see them.

• Like 3

I read about this a while back. Supposedly the Red Dwarfs still put out enough energy to have a Goldilocks Zone. And with Red Dwarfs being the most common type of star, and with planets perhaps around every single star. Then this means they are excellent targets to check for signs of technology.

From November of last year...

http://www.space.com/23772-red-dwarf-stars.html

I read about the increased possibility of life around red dwarfs being a likely place of intelligence because they also would have much longer evolutionary periods without more frequent destructive periods like other types of stars. Cooler and darker but more condusive to evolution of an intelligent species. Probably not mammals and having eyes that would be larger and way more sensitive to light than ours. I read about them in Scientific American a few years back.

It's a good place for SETI to look.

Edited by White Unicorn

Is it the only place left for seti to search?

Well, their method makes about as much sense as smoke signals, so, probably.

Edited by Sweetpumper

Is it the only place left for seti to search?

Well estimates are that there is roughly 100 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy (our galaxy). And if we were to try to check all of those stars one at a time, with only one second per star, that would take 3100 years. I think perhaps they spend quite a lot of time on each star, though I don't know how long exactly... minutes, hours? But certainly it is more then a single second. And they've only been checking Sun type stars to date, not giants or dwarfs.

So, no, they haven't run out of places to check. They're just trying to figure out the most likely ones to check first.

Well, their method makes about as much sense as smoke signals, so, probably.

Whose method?

• 2 weeks later...

I run SETI on my computer when I'm not using it. I even bought this years T-shirt. Anyway, I'd recommend anyone else who wants to help, go ahead and run SETI/BOINC as well.

• Like 1

I run SETI on my computer when I'm not using it. I even bought this years T-shirt. Anyway, I'd recommend anyone else who wants to help, go ahead and run SETI/BOINC as well.

I used to run the BOINC app, but it tended to interfere with some of the other technical programs I was using for work :- so I gave up -(

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov