Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Digital images can now be stored in DNA

seeder

Radical breakthrough stores digital pictures in DNA for first time - and could revolutionise computer storage

Converted long strings of 1's and 0's in digital data into 4 basic DNA blocks

Chopped data into pieces and stored by synthesizing tiny DNA molecules

To retrieve, they encoded the equivalent of zip codes and street addresses

The 'digital universe' is expected to hit 44 trillion gigabytes by 2020, which exceeds our storage capabilities. In order to make up for this lack of space, researchers have developed a technique that stores digital information within DNA.

While the idea has been tried before, now researchers have encoded digital data from image files into a nucleotide sequence of synthetic DNA snippets and reversed the process to retrieve them – with zero data loss.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3530591/Radical-breakthrough-stores-digital-pictures-DNA-time-revolutionise-computer-storage.html#ixzz45Ni6gYQb

• Like 1

Get back to me when science has established the ability to save entire movie scenes in DNA.

So that I can write the "are you talking me" scene with the alterations of it being me, and further asking "yeah, I am talking to you scientists from the future. You get outta my DNA and get back to whatever weird decadence you are normally up to".

we are about to be able to use our computer to talk to our computer code.

maybe one day we could achieve all of our sexual desire with the technology, every time we want

Maybe Kodak will get into this. Didn't they have a tag line about bring pictures to life some years ago?

Living pictures - kinda scary

Wait so what if DNA already does have images of are ancestors stored inside that we could digitally recreate? Maybe we could even rediscover who made DNA in the 1 st place

I think pumping more effort into medical nanobots is more important. With longer lives we could see more into the future!