Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snowboarder filmed herself 'chased by a bear'

Still Waters

Kelly Murphy was snowboarding in Japan's Hakuba 47 Winter Sports Park near the city of Nagano when what is believed to have been an Asian black bear jumped out from behind the top of a mountain and began chasing her down the slope.

Murphy, humming Rihanna's "Work," was completely unaware throughout the experience as she filmed herself going down the mountain.

https://www.yahoo.co...-122900543.html

• Like 4

Yeah, this is a great video... poor bear.

• Like 2

Seems a hoax to me. The video is far too smooth for it to be a hand-held. Also, her image seems much clearer than the surroundings, but I would expect - given the apparent weather conditions - to at least see some loss of clarity at even such a short distance. Plus, nothing sticks on her goggles - no moisture, no snow particles, nothing. And her breath doesn't seem to "fog" when she breathes. I don't think she was in the environment shown in the background when she was filmed. In the snow, yes, but on a much clearer day.

Edited by Leonardo

When I googled this story there were a lot of comments about how the audio pointed towards it being a hoax. Apparently, the sounds the bear was making should not have been as loud and clear if this was a real event.

• Like 1

Hope it's real. And I hope the bear was upset about having to listen to people's 'music' (it was Rihanna) screech from their earphones.

• Like 1

Looks real to me though can't rule out cgi. What I would say though is I've seen multi million dollar Hollywood efforts with far less believable cgi.

Cgi is a easy bandwagon to jump on, making it convincing is far harder than people give it credit for, someone who can do it this well must surely have better ways to employ their skills than you tube fakes. Just another angle to view things from....

• Like 2

When I googled this story there were a lot of comments about how the audio pointed towards it being a hoax. Apparently, the sounds the bear was making should not have been as loud and clear if this was a real event.

The bear's boom mic was well-hidden in all of the shots.

• Like 3

It's odd that a bear would wake up during its hibernation period. It would have to have been disturbed in its cave to come out, because he does look like Yogi or Boo-Boo. They never seemed to hibernate.

• Like 4

How can this be real, the damn woman is wearing headphones and not earmuffs. Besides bears, there are other dangers people should hear out for while skiing

• Like 1

It's odd that a bear would wake up during its hibernation period. It would have to have been disturbed in its cave to come out, because he does look like Yogi or Boo-Boo. They never seemed to hibernate.

Bears don't go into hibernation if they don't fatten up enough before winter.

I mispoke on that last, the fact is they don't go into hibernation if there is an abundance of food such as if they are living in captivity or if they live where winter is not severe. Also bears do occasionally get up in the winter and wander around, I myself have come across bear tracks in the late winter.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I'm surprised by how close it mamaged to get to her, assuming it was real. Granted, u always start slow. As a skier myself. Snowboarders do often have trouble starting unless they r already on a hill. So, let's assume bears can run at 30mph, it should have either caught up with her right at the start or been left behind far more quickly than it was. I guess we would have to reconstruct the run... I'll ask the bear if he's okay with trying again a few times

• Like 3

That's impressive CG if not real!

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 3

Bears don't go into hibernation if they don't fatten up enough before winter.

That might have been yogi the bear, smarter knowing that there are skiers and snowboarders able to be caught unawares.

• Like 1

Either way, the attached info states that this happened in japan, where brown bears aren't known to exist. So maybe the info is wrong?

I could see a few still living on the main land, but she did stop shortly after and no brown bear.

Edited by EnderOTD

Not your typical bear habitat on a ski slope. Bears prefer wooded and brushy areas.

• Like 1

Not your typical bear habitat on a ski slope. Bears prefer wooded and brushy areas.

Maybe he wasn't just the average bear.

• Like 2