Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive undersea crab swarm caught on video

Still Waters

When three scientists descended more than a thousand feet underwater in an exploration vessel off the coast of Panama, they expected to see many kinds of life. They'd chosen to explore the Hannibal Seamount, a flat-topped undersea mountain that's the ocean equivalent of a tropical jungle, rich with a diversity of animals and plants found nowhere else.

Their submersible, the Deep Rover 2, has the look of a giant, transparent bubble; with the help of spotlights, they could peer out from every angle. But as they approached the northwest flank of the seamount, they saw something inexplicable on the ocean floor.

http://arstechnica.c...the-first-time/

• Like 2

From the article: "We'll need to do more research to know for sure why the red crabs were swarming when and where they did."

Who concert.

• Like 1

When three scientists descended more than a thousand feet underwater in an exploration vessel off the coast of Panama, they expected to see many kinds of life. They'd chosen to explore the Hannibal Seamount, a flat-topped undersea mountain that's the ocean equivalent of a tropical jungle, rich with a diversity of animals and plants found nowhere else.

Their submersible, the Deep Rover 2, has the look of a giant, transparent bubble; with the help of spotlights, they could peer out from every angle. But as they approached the northwest flank of the seamount, they saw something inexplicable on the ocean floor.

http://arstechnica.c...the-first-time/

But have they ever been witness to a massed sponge migration?

• Like 1

But have they ever been witness to a massed sponge migration?

Now now, no need to bring Trump voters into this.

• Like 1

I'll get my Old Bay seasoning ready for the next time.

• Like 1

Hopefully there's a mass of melted butter moving towards them in the opposite direction. :yes:

• Like 2

It's probably a mass migration fleeing from the rise of Cthulhu.

• Like 1

This is recorded for other crab species, they gather in masse to molt and mate.

Edited by AustinHinton

I saw this yesterday and shared it with my 4 and 8 year olds and they thought it was super cool and asked like 15 minutes of questions.

I thought it was super cool also. Maybe they are mass feeding on something?

I also noticed that some of them appear to be crabs and some appear more like lobsters. Some clearly swim around like lobsters.

A crab fisherman's mother lode.

• 2 weeks later...

Right after this sighting we had the massive quakes nearby in Ecuador and also the large EQ in Panama.

• Like 1

Right after this sighting we had the massive quakes nearby in Ecuador and also the large EQ in Panama.

:unsure2: A lot to ponder... very interesting.