Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘America is a melting pot’

Sweetpumper

Saying ‘America is a melting pot’ is a microaggression, Purdue class teaches

Additional microaggressions listed on the worksheet include: “Where are you from,” and “There is only one race, the human race.”

http://www.infowars.com/saying-america-is-a-melting-pot-is-a-microaggression-purdue-class-teaches/

Idiots.

• Like 1

Saying 'America is a melting pot' is a microaggression, Purdue class teaches

Additional microaggressions listed on the worksheet include: "Where are you from," and "There is only one race, the human race."

http://www.infowars....-class-teaches/

Idiots.

They got it wrong: the class material is the microagression. But that is quite frequent nowadays.

Now, America has long since been a melting pot. That was in a time when emigration consisted mostly of Europeans. Problem is that there was not much to melt at the time as the cultures were pretty much equal (and mostly based on the Greco-Roman model), the biggest difference was language. Real Xenophobia started when the Chinese started to come.

They got it wrong: the class material is the microagression. But that is quite frequent nowadays.

Now, America has long since been a melting pot. That was in a time when emigration consisted mostly of Europeans. Problem is that there was not much to melt at the time as the cultures were pretty much equal (and mostly based on the Greco-Roman model), the biggest difference was language. Real Xenophobia started when the Chinese started to come.

Yeah the Irish were certainly greeted with open arms.

• Like 2

Yeah and the French loved the English and everyone loved the Native Americans. Yes wouldn't it be something to go back to that golden era of peace and equality.

• Like 1

I'm all for cultural sensitivity, but isn't this getting a little bit ridiculous? Sure, some of us have heard that the "melting pot" presumes assimilation and that people should ditch all elements of their original culture. We've heard some people like the tossed salad analogy better, because it's like they get to keep stuff and still be a part of something new. But I'm sure someone will be offended by that, too, eventually.

A micro aggression, though? Really?

Ugh. And what the heck is wrong with asking where are you from? Do they think it implies that you have someplace in mind, already?

The Irish emigration had little to do with strangers or strangeness, it had to do something with the fact that they were dirt poor. The poor always make a good target. No matter if Irish or currently those on food stamps. The risk of getting a black eye is very small with those groups.

I'm all for cultural sensitivity, but isn't this getting a little bit ridiculous? Sure, some of us have heard that the "melting pot" presumes assimilation and that people should ditch all elements of their original culture. We've heard some people like the tossed salad analogy better, because it's like they get to keep stuff and still be a part of something new. But I'm sure someone will be offended by that, too, eventually.

Ugh. And what the heck is wrong with asking where are you from? Do they think it implies that you have someplace in mind, already?

It's all thought control.

• Like 1

I'm all for cultural sensitivity, but isn't this getting a little bit ridiculous?

No it's not getting a little bit ridiculous.

It's getting a very big bit ridiculous.

• Like 4

I'm still going to say it and I don't care flips a lid. Bite me!

We've heard some people like the tossed salad analogy better, because it's like they get to keep stuff and still be a part of something new. But I'm sure someone will be offended by that, too, eventually.

Trigger warning: it may be offensive to the alternative community when they aren't in their safe spaces. It also may create an ear worm if it brings the "Frasier" theme song to mind.

Really?, do you know how the English treated the Irish, or how the French were perceived or eastern Europeans by other Europeans? Xenophobia is nothing new and didn't start with the arrival of the Chinese. Also the French colonies were different from the English colonies, mixed marriages for example in Lousiana. Also the architecture was different. The thing which all Europeans had in common, though, is that they were arriving in a new land of which they didn't knwo anything, thus they needed to work together and received a lot of help form the natives there. Also, tell an average French they are the same as a German and you will see how they react. (I give you a hint they won't say "we are all the same ;)" ) T

BTW this "we have a common western culture" is something new which was established the past decades. (a culture which mostly consists of shopping and working ;) )

Edited by hellwyr

BTW this "we have a common western culture" is something new which was established the past decades. (a culture which mostly consists of shopping and working ;) )

Quite wrong, the basis of Western culture is the Roman civilization... or the sorry rest that remained of it. All Europeans have laws based on the Roman codices, have and had governments depending on Roman models of the one or other time (i.e. Republic, Constitutional monarchy or Dictatorship) with similar rules. The real division of Europe started with Nationalism... and that only happened around the 18th century.

Irish law is or was based on Celtic law, English law is heavily influanced by Germanic law, German law prior to WW2 was very different than it s now and nowadays it is a copy of the Austrian law (due to Hitler), which derives itself from the Roman law. Icelandic law is a different story. Then there were and are regional different laws as well, which developed throughout the ages. The harmonization is something new, and no one in Europe saw themselves as Europeans (maybe the French did), maybe you should take a look at the bloody European history :). You are talking about the renaissance, where people tried to revive the ancient spirit and yeah they looked to teh ancient greek civilization and other ancient people for guidance during that time, but that itself doesn't mean they perceived themselves as a happy family :)

Edited by hellwyr

Irish law is or was based on Celtic law, English law is heavily influanced by Germanic law, German law prior to WW2 was very different than it s now and nowadays it is a copy of the Austrian law (due to Hitler), which derives itself from the Roman law. Icelandic law is a different story. Then there were and are regional different laws as well, which developed throughout the ages. The harmonization is something new, and no one in Europe saw themselves as Europeans (maybe the French did), maybe you should take a look at the bloody European history :). You are talking about the renaissance, where people tried to revive the ancient spirit and yeah they looked to teh ancient greek civilization and other ancient people for guidance during that time, but that itself doesn't mean they perceived themselves as a happy family :)

Well as far as I remember German law is based on the Codice Romano, but see it how you want. If it were based on Germanic law there would never have been little inclusions like denying woman being their own juridic person (Roman law) needing the husband's permission to enter a contract or taking up work. The law came with the religion as did the administrative reorganization, and that was Roman catholic (in many parts still is).

Well as far as I remember German law is based on the Codice Romano, but see it how you want. If it were based on Germanic law there would never have been little inclusions like denying woman being their own juridic person (Roman law) needing the husband's permission to enter a contract or taking up work. The law came with the religion as did the administrative reorganization, and that was Roman catholic (in many parts still is).

I wrote it is influenced by Germanic law, English law for example had bad women rights but it still was better than the Roman law, above all as the inheritance law is considered. The Irish law had all kinds of marriages, not just one kind of marriage, which is due to their Celtic past (of course all laws are influenced by Roman catholic church like a change in women rights). In Viennese law which was influenced by regional probably Celtic law women had more rights than in neighboring regions. The German law was changed after Hitler came to power. What I was trying to say is that the peoples in Europe didn't see themselves as one people with common culture and xenophobia didn't develop with the immigration of the Chinese. However, of course, there was some common ground in the US since all immigrants came from Europe. For example an Italian immigrant was "better" than an eastern European immigrant, an eastern European was "better" than a native American... and so on, racism also has different shades ;) and xenophobia is a basic attitude which can adapt itself quiet well to new circumstances; if one group vanishes a new one will take its place.

Edited by hellwyr

Well i am offended. I dont want to be part of a tossed salad i prefer being fondue.

Well i am offended. I dont want to be part of a tossed salad i prefer being fondue.

Well, then I won't ask you out if that's off the table.