Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bible says the Sun stopped in the sky

Iak sakkakh

The Bible says the Sun stopped in the sky for a day, and for most proponents of the Bible, this is enough

" The Bible says it "

sunburn1.en.png

Well, ....this explanation does not suffice for the rest of us who have an education in science and or physics and astronomy

So, let's examine the verse and see what we can discover:

" And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day "

Joshua 10:13

• Like 1

Yeh, we have yet to see any bible hoopla work, save in the level of fanaticism of its adepts. Science to the contrary seems to work quite well.... even to try to divulge inanities over the internet.... such as: science does not work.

• Like 2

Oh, science ?

Is that something you understand ?

Well, not really, but my grasp on it seems to be bigger than yours. For the sun to stop in the sky we would need a geocentric system, because else the sun would not have stopped but the earth and that would have had slightly bigger consequences than extending the day.... only the forces of coming to a sudden halt would have torn it apart (physics work every time, gods or no gods).

But hey, you can't stop at little details with all that work memorizing those bible verses so we will just pass it as valid....

• Like 1

This site adequately explains it for me:

http://www.biblefell..._Aug/Jasher.htm

quite, quite... yet some province preachers, building on the fact that his sheeple never have gotten much further than junior high, still try to pass that as fact.

• Like 1

Today, we should be able to understand that so-called miracles are simply highly advanced technology beyond earth's level at the time. The planet didn't stop rotating. A large mirror was placed at the right point between the sun and earth to deflect the sun's rays over the battle field sufficiently to give the illusion of the sun standing still, along with the moon. It was all preplanned a long time in advance, and Joshua was inspired to say the right thing at the right time. Angels, aliens, whatever, made it happen.

Today, we should be able to understand that so-called miracles are simply highly advanced technology beyond earth's level at the time. The planet didn't stop rotating. A large mirror was placed at the right point between the sun and earth to deflect the sun's rays over the battle field sufficiently to give the illusion of the sun standing still, along with the moon. It was all preplanned a long time in advance, and Joshua was inspired to say the right thing at the right time. Angels, aliens, whatever, made it happen.

What part of forgery did you not get?

• Like 2

The sun can't stop in the sky. It can appear to stop in the sky, depending on where in the world you are (arctic or antarctic circles), but the sun can't simply stop moving across our sky. For that to happen, the Earth would have to stop turning, and that can't happen. Not without some catastrophic cataclysm, anyway.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1

The sun can't stop in the sky. It can appear to stop in the sky, depending on where in the world you are (arctic or antarctic circles), but the sun can't simply stop moving across our sky. For that to happen, the Earth would have to stop turning, and that can't happen. Not without some catastrophic cataclysm, anyway.

Stop it. You speak sorcery.

• Like 1

Look, I'm a Christian and I even know this is a reference to, probably, a poem to get a point across for a particular reader.

I wish people would stop trying to incite a riot.

Look, I'm a Christian and I even know this is a reference to, probably, a poem to get a point across for a particular reader.

I wish people would stop trying to incite a riot.

ah, but there is nothing more effective than hell and brimstone to keep the sheeple in line, why are you so opposed to that?

ah, but there is nothing more effective than hell and brimstone to keep the sheeple in line, why are you so opposed to that?

Why am I opposed to using fire and brimstone, i.e., Hell, to keep people in check? Because I do not believe that was the original intent of God based on Biblical scripture. I believe that is a part of a man-made religion, something God is opposed to.

Wow, you guys are amusing

So then, the sun doesn't " stop in the sky " ?

You are saying it's impossible ?

WTF??

:cry:

• Like 2

Well, see, in relation to Earth the sun does not move...therefore it is always stopped. But somebody as knowledgeable as you would surely know that... It is Earth that moves around the sun and the own rotation of Earth makes the sun for some hours visible or invisible on most of the Earth... But you knew that too... then there is a rotation of the East west axis that makes days longer or shorter and the sun not rise or not set on the poles for month at a time... you knew that too...

so why are you harping on this BS?

• Like 1

The sun doesn't appear to stop at the poles, it circles in the sky instead of shinking below the horizon, but it still moves.

As for the Joshua line, time seemed to past faster that it really did, someone called it miracle and none were the wiser. Antic people will do what antic people do. -_-

• Like 2

lmao

What a bunch of armchair experts

Let me fill you in

The verse is talking about " solstice ", but if you knew some Latin you'd know that already

" sol ", Latin for " Sun "

" sistere ", Latin for " to stand still "

Looks like that's the end to this thread, no convoluted explanations or silly pictures needed, just a brain

Try reading a book sometime

:-*

lmao

Let me fill you in

The verse is talking about " solstice ", but if you knew some Latin you'd know that already

Looks like that's the end to this thread, no convoluted explanations or silly pictures needed, just a brain

When those verse were written there was no Latin language yet... that did not come into existence until about 75 BC. By then most of the bible was written, in fact about 75 years later it was declared complete and further holy writings were accumulated in the Talmud by the Jews or the New Testament by the Christians. Before that we had an irregular language spoken by the Latini tribe. But no part of that ever entered the Bible.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

They will be telling us next that there is no Easter bunny and Santa Clause Sacrilege!!!!!!! is nothing sacred ?

fullywired :w00t:

• Like 1

I'm voting for E.T. since no one else has, and the bright light was probably their flood lights so they could watch the show .....

• Like 1

What do you suggest Harry Potter ?

• Like 1

lmao

Let me fill you in

Why are you referring to Latin as a basis for a translation when the original text was in Hebrew?

• Like 1

You do realize that the sun doesn't move across the sky, right? It's an illusion created by the spinning of the Earth. So yes, it is impossible for the sun to stop its arc across the sky, because it would require the Earth to cease spinning, which is impossible without the planet being hammered by some huge space debris and becoming tidally locked.

• Like 1

I do not discount the miraculous. If one believe in a God that is omnipotent and created the entire universe ex nihilo (out of nothing), then how hard would it be for Him to suspend the natural laws he put in place to accomplish His will? Miracles in Scripture are always given as "signs" that point to God; they are not done just to placate man's curiosity, they are done to accomplish a particular purpose.

There is also no way to subject an event such as this occurring in the past to the scientific method. It can neither be duplicated, proven or disproven by science.

• Like 1