Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the entire universe just a simulation ?

UM-Bot

Is what we see and feel around us actually real or do we exist within some sort of computer simulation ?

It might sound like the plot of 'The Matrix', but the idea that we live inside a simulated universe is something that several scientists, including those who attended the 17th annual Isaac Asimov Debate at the American Museum of Natural History earlier this month, take quite seriously.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/293544/is-the-entire-universe-just-a-simulation

Yes it is.

The entire point of the Sim was to figure our who long it would take some dim-witted fool to ask if this universe is nothing more than a Sim.

Now that that is done the Sim will be shutting down.

Thanks for ending the universe oh ye mighty questioners of nothingness.

• Like 3

The mathematical probability that the universe and all of it's intelligent occupants are a simulation is extremely high. Most people are so self important that when this subject comes up they assume that it means the universe is simulated but the people are real like in the matrix.

Edited by OverSword

"There's certainly not going to be conclusive experimental proof that we're not in a simulation," said philosopher David Chalmers. "Any evidence we could ever get would be simulated !"

The above is exactly why I think these kind of discussions are a waste of time and money to make a big deal about.

I discuss this kind of stuff at the pub after a pint or six, where it belongs ;)

Zam

• Like 3

did we not have a riot about this a few months back?

• Like 1

We are unable to create an AI that passes the Turing Test, and we have no idea that it is possible to create such an AI - so, it has to be asked why supposedly reputable scientists assume they can calculate a probability regarding something that we do not know is possible? (For those wondering the relevance of this, the "Simulation Universe Hypothesis" presupposes the existence of self-aware, "human", AI's capable of asking questions regarding their own existence.)

It's fine for scientists to speculate on topics such as the Simulation Universe Hypothesis, but any conclusions one makes about those topics is a matter of belief, not science.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

It was obviously simulated by some merd-like Alien High School student as a science project. I don't think he received a very high grade on this assignment.

• Like 1

I accept the likelihood that we are a simulation. Does it matter if we are or aren't?

• Like 1

I accept the likelihood that we are a simulation. Does it matter if we are or aren't?

It might depending on what the Simulator's motives are and what It has in mind for the future. Possible the near future. Also, what would this mean for religions and their doctrines of an afterlife?

Edited by StarMountainKid

The mathematical probability that the universe and all of it's intelligent occupants are a simulation is extremely high. Most people are so self important that when this subject comes up they assume that it means the universe is simulated but the people are real like in the matrix.

How so? Waaaay more complex thingy, having "extremely high" probability? Does not compute.

I once wrote a little story about a young genius physicist while working on a problem discovered a resulting equation that was so far reaching and momentous to the structure of the universe that he could not cope with the consequences of his discovery and committed suicide. I didn't explain what the consequence of the equation was, but one explanation could be that it revealed that our universe and us were merely sims. I hadn't thought about that when I wrote the story.

• Like 1

How so? Waaaay more complex thingy, having "extremely high" probability? Does not compute.

I remember watching an episode of 'Through the Wormhole' on the subject.

I can't remember exactly, and I'm no scientist, but I think the basic principle is that following Moore's law, if computing power continues to grow exponentially, it's a matter of 'when' not 'if' simulation technology would be possible.

Picture our descendants playing 'The Sims' in a century or so :D

Edited by LV-426

I remember watching an episode of 'Through the Wormhole' on the subject.

I can't remember exactly, and I'm no scientist, but I think the basic principle is that following Moore's law, if computing power continues to grow exponentially, it's a matter of 'when' not 'if' simulation technology would be possible.

Picture our descendants playing 'The Sims' in a century or so :D

Michio Kaku's insights into Moore's law (rule).

Whatever laws/rules, you have to have "creator/simulator" (and here we slide into creationism), who started their own journey from square one, i.e. batch of chemicals. I see this "simulation" stuff, the same I see panspermia - just additional, complicating step, just it

no. I always find the idea ridiculous . how could any computer create infinite variables? ... such as we exist in .

• Like 1

no. I always find the idea ridiculous . how could any computer create infinite variables? ... such as we exist in

I'm not arguing against your idea, but perhaps infinite variables are a consequence of the simulation and therefore not an element of the original programing. For instance, a sim would not necessarily program the consequences of natural selection on planet earth, the results of natural selection would emerge naturally out of the basic program.

• Like 2

Since reality is a perception, who can see the idea is wrong?

I don't have a source, but I remember reading somewhere on line that we are theorized to live in a holographic universe. One reason if I remember correctly that this theory was put forth was that the universe is expanding, but not like you are pulling a rubber band, rather it is expanding incrementally, almost digitally. And another article I read stated that information cannot be destroyed so that at the event horizon of a black hole all this information is "digitized" on the event horizon itself and thus never actually lost.

Now this all may be complete nonsense, these are just articles I remember reading that would lend credence to our universe being some kind of simulation. The purpose of simulating both matter, energy and sentient beings (humans) can only be guessed. The universe certainly seems real enough, just hit your finger with a hammer!

Looks to me like people wearing silly sunglasses indoors. If there wasn't a God or equivalent power, then we would have to invent one, over and over again. Here we go again, now it's computers we are living in. Before we had computers, we were living in something else.

Methinks there are scientist that are being paid way too much for the same drivel that you can read in a supermarket tabloid.

• Like 1

We've GOT to gain control of the quantum computer that created us! What if the aliens that created it are dead and we are on autopilot?

it cloud be both, a simulation and be real. to sim people inside a computer their reality is real to them such as the game sim life. how could we prove if it is a sim. unless there are mistakes in the program, such as the storm on Saturn's south pole.

Well it begs the question, who is 'running' the simulation? If they are *Aliens* then who are they, where do they come from? If it's a Creator, than is He/She omnisicient, omnipotent ect? While I'm not a big fan of the simulation hypothesis it's still better than some of the nihilistic views promoted by hardcore atheists.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

So true OverSword. Hey, what is it Ambrose Bierce said? "Nothing Matters".

Want to check out something truly creepy about our universe?

See what half a dozen scientists concluded in an on-going study. This study has had unlimited funding now over two years investigating the paranormal just on one site.

Hunt for the Skinwalker

If we are what key combination do I need for "Infinite Life", and "Infinite Gold"

I always find this theory fascinating.....with the advances we are making in gaming and CGI with physics engines, A.I., etc i don't see why not. It would also explain every unexplained mystery as a glitch in the system.