Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Is the entire universe just a simulation ?

112 posts in this topic

sci-nerd
1 minute ago, joc said:

When you speak of 'duality'...exactly what are you speaking of?  And what is the problem that you seek the answers to?

Duality is the dual nature of all matter and light. It is wave-ish when we don't look, and a dense fixed lump, when we do. It changes, depending on our interaction.

That fact has been a problem in science for over 100 years, because no one knows why the buck it does that!?

There has been a few attempts to solve it. One attempt is the many worlds interpretation. The one that says there are many joc's and sci-nerd's. That interpretations has unfortunately failed. Recent experiments does not support it.
Then there is the concept of superdeterminism. That everything is predetermined. It may be correct, but I like the third option better: The simulation hypothesis.

• Thanks 1

joc

Well...let me study on that for a while and I'll get back with you.  ;)

• Like 1

sci-nerd
1 minute ago, joc said:

I can't tell if you're being ironic, but I urge you to do it :tu:

• Like 1

sci-nerd
12 minutes ago, joc said:

If you're gonna do it, I think it's appropriate to warn you against wikipedia. Their quantum mechanics articles are biased. I have tried to address this to them, but it is democratic, not a part of the scientific community. They seem to have their alliances and trusted contributors, so it's hopeless. Their articles are okay for the technical aspects, but totally hopeless when it comes to interpretations.

• Thanks 1

joc
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

If you're gonna do it, I think it's appropriate to warn you against wikipedia. Their quantum mechanics articles are biased. I have tried to address this to them, but it is democratic, not a part of the scientific community. They seem to have their alliances and trusted contributors, so it's hopeless. Their articles are okay for the technical aspects, but totally hopeless when it comes to interpretations.

I seriously meant I would do some research on the subject.  How else do we learn? And I like learning about stuff I don't know....if it interests me...and this does.  I could google a bunch of stuff...actually I did...which is why I asked you what your were really talking about because there is so much crap out there.    I don't really know enough about it to say, well...see...the difference between a particle and a wave is this or that...I just don't know a lot of the science of all of that...and I don't know a lot about physics or math either...but I would like to have a grasp on what you are talking about...I don't even really know what you mean when you are talking about simulation...I suppose it is based rather loosely on Star Trek episodes but I don't really have a clue.

So...what then would be a good avenue for getting a clue?  

sci-nerd
4 minutes ago, joc said:

So...what then would be a good avenue for getting a clue?

Why not start with Brian Whitworth? He has PhD's, so at least he's not a certified nut like me :D

https://brianwhitworth.com/quantum-realism-1-3-the-evidence/

• Thanks 1

Green Wasp
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

So many things in science seems unrealistic. This would just add to the pile.

Did you know that, if the empty space in the atoms of your body was removed, you'd disappear, and become smaller than an atom.

A sense of realism is not the proper tool to try to crack the riddles of the universe.

Very well. I just think this hypothesis is looking in the wrong places for an answer. Quite obviously exagerrated for glamour.  Mostly the word simulation and its meaning I think is wrong. Because in simulations dying doesn't matter. In RL it does though.......

sci-nerd
1 minute ago, Green Wasp said:

Very well. I just think this hypothesis is looking in the wrong places for an answer. Quite obviously exagerrated for glamour.  Mostly the word simulation and its meaning I think is wrong. Because in simulations dying doesn't matter. In RL it does though.......

Like I just suggested to joc, try reading what Brian Whitworth has to say on the matter. He's a scientist with PhD's

joc
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

Like I just suggested to joc, try reading what Brian Whitworth has to say on the matter. He's a scientist with PhD's

phd's notwithstanding....

I read a great deal of what Whitworth has to say and the thought comes to mind that...virtual reality doesn't really exist.  We created virtual realities...how could we have created a 'virtual reality' if our reality was virtual?  None if it really makes any sense.  I think that there are answers to these questions but we don't know enough to answer them, and ...I think we don't know enough because we take some things for granted that we maybe shouldn't.

The other side of that equation is still:  If this is a virtual reality...a simulation...then from whence did it come?  and maybe that reality is also a simulation so from whence did it come?  and so on ...

...leading us back to the original problem...something from nothing.  It is inescapable...and yet here we are.  

sci-nerd

@joc I gotta get to bed, it's 4.30am here. I'll answer tomorrow.

• Like 1

psyche101
2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Thanks for the question, @joc

Well I guess it's due to my approach to the subject. I was looking for explanations to quantum phenomena, like duality, and the explanation from the simulation hypothesis just hit me like a brick wall. Everything in QM suddenly made sense. There was logic in it after all. Duality is just graphics rendering.

I am still excited about how perfectly it fits and solves the problems, and I still wonder why there aren't any better solutions. After all, it's been over 100 years so far.

Another personal aspect is a sense of 'something fishy about everything'. Descartes demon. Zhuangzi's butterfly. I've always felt a bit like a spectator to the world, rather than being a part of it. But that's not why I am in favor of the hypothesis, it's just something I remember, looking back, that makes a bit more sense now, if the hypothesis is correct.

Please note: This is not something I believe in. I suspect it. And I think there is evidence, although it's moot for some people.

Dark matter might be a key. Wave function collapse more indicates that "something else" is causing the collapse. 

• Thanks 1

Horta
9 hours ago, joc said:

The other side of that equation is still:  If this is a virtual reality...a simulation...then from whence did it come?  and maybe that reality is also a simulation so from whence did it come?  and so on ...

Yes, good point. At some stage it is going to require a "base reality" that isn't a simulation, otherwise we get infinite regression. Then we start all over again working out how that base reality came to be. Which would be fair enough if so, yet proponents don't seem to offer a lot more than some alternative interpretation based on their personal logic. It seems lacking. It's very similar to creationism IMO.