Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Disappearance of Kemberly Lorin Ramer

thedemon

This has been a cold case in my county for many years. This young lady was taken from her bedroom and was never heard from again. Her case has been featured in many news outlets and television shows over the years, but very little is known. Every now and then, investigators will get some anonymous tip, even so many years later, but they always end up at another dead end.

I wish there were more evidence to this case so the discussion could be more fruitful, but i'm afraid who ever took her was very careful in that aspect. What makes this case so mysterious is the circumstances she was taken under. Right from her bedroom, no scream, no noises, no trace. The motive is also a mystery, and from what i understand, she was never the type of person who was misbehaved or got involved with bad people. Just a typical motivated teen who looked forward to life.

I'll post all the evidence that exists, but it isn't much to go on. I figured her case deserves to be here and people need to be aware of this case, and many of you may not even be familiar with the disappearance.

Just across the Florida state line in Alabama, is a story that spans miles. It was the height of southern summer, August 16, 1997, when Kemberly Ramer, 17 at the time, vanished from her father's home in Opp, Alabama.

Nearly 20 years later, there is still no trace of Kemberly. In photos, Kemberly, or "Kem" as family and friends called her, exudes the feel of the quintessential All-American girl. She appears in her softball and cheerleading uniforms, a deep brunette with an innocent, smiling face.

"She was a great daughter. She was just so happy," Sue Infinger, Ramer's mother, told Dateline NBC.

Just one day after her high school senior portraits were taken, Kemberly headed home after hanging out with friends. The Ramers were divorced and Kemberly was staying with her father in Opp, a small town with about 7,000 residents.

Sometime in the middle of the night, Kemberly simply vanished. Authorities believe she was likely kidnapped. She left behind her clothes, contact lenses, and car. The sheets on her bed were ruffled, but there was no sign of forced entry.

http://www.nbcnews.c...y-ramer-n512411

Circumstances surrounding her disappearance:

http://www.rickeysto...r-mother-131152

Details surrounding abduction

http://www.charleypr...r_kemberly.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

There's been several theories and rumors around town, and several "unofficial" suspects. Both of these suspects knew Kemberly and were questioned by investigators, but no evidence of their guilt. One being a man by the name of Tony Wilkerson. I actually met him several times, as he was married into the family a few years back. He seemed like an ok guy, but a bit on the odd side. I haven't seen him in years. If this guy in the article (below) is the same Tony Wilkerson that i knew, then he has a history of kidnapping his wife. This would have had to happen after he divorced my family member, who i won't mention.

He hit his wife over the head with a helmet and stuffed her into his car. Then was caught by authorities 5 minutes later and taken into custody. What he was planning to do is unknown and can only be speculated. I'm just not sure if the Tony i know has a middle initial of L., but i'll find out.

(not sure if it's the same Tony Wilkerson)

http://www.andalusia...s-kidnaps-wife/

The other suspect that some people think had to do with this case is Jerry (Bubba) Ziglar. He is also known to my family, as a matter of fact, i've met him many times over the years at family functions. He's actually an all around great guy, but does have a history of violence. Tony and Bubba do in fact know each other.

But i want to be careful in spreading the speculations and i'm in no way assuming either of their guilt. Another person i would assume would be a suspect would be the boyfriend, and maybe even the father. But there's absolutely no evidence of that as well.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 2

There's been several theories and rumors around town, and several "unofficial" suspects. Both of these suspects knew Kemberly and were questioned by investigators, but no evidence of their guilt. One being a man by the name of Tony Wilkerson. I actually met him several times, as he was married into the family a few years back. He seemed like an ok guy, but a bit on the odd side. I haven't seen him in years. If this guy in the article (below) is the same Tony Wilkerson that i knew, then he has a history of kidnapping his wife. This would have had to happen after he divorced my family member, who i won't mention.

He hit his wife over the head with a helmet and stuffed her into his car. Then was caught by authorities 5 minutes later and taken into custody. What he was planning to do is unknown and can only be speculated. I'm just not sure if the Tony i know has a middle initial of L., but i'll find out.

(not sure if it's the same Tony Wilkerson)

http://www.andalusia...s-kidnaps-wife/

The other suspect that some people think had to do with this case is Jerry (Bubba) Ziglar. He is also known to my family, as a matter of fact, i've met him many times over the years at family functions. He's actually an all around great guy, but does have a history of violence. Tony and Bubba do in fact know each other.

But i want to be careful in spreading the speculations and i'm in no way assuming either of their guilt. Another person i would assume would be a suspect would be the boyfriend, and maybe even the father. But there's absolutely no evidence of that as well.

We actually have a heartbreaking missing person in the county where I live. Because there was a conflict of jurisdictions and lazy prosecutors in both jurisdictions, it doesn't even seem as if there has been a sincere effort in prosecution. She ended up being robbed of her life's savings, being abducted, undoubtedly murdered and then the perp's family got away with making her out a loose woman in the press. One of her co-workers actually brought the case here a few years ago to no avail.

Knowing this happened and they most likely are going to get away with it is heartbreaking, isn't it. :yes:

• Like 3

The circumstances aren't clear to me....was the father home when she'd arrived there from the boyfriends?

i believe the story is he was home, but was in bed. so he didn't actually see her return home, but they noticed all her stuff had been brought into her room. so they assumed she basically made it back, but was abducted later on in the night. Her car was there, keys, and all her things. My opinion? Someone could have pulled up to her home, she went out to greet them, and they snatched her. OR, they asked her to take a quick ride with them, and never brought her back home.

That's what i mean by hardly any evidence. It's a doozy.

• Sad 1

In this article linked below, the mother says her daughter was home alone that there were indications she was taken by force from her bedroom.

All I can offer is that I've observed it in other cases like this one- where the person was abducted from their home- the perp was almost always a neighbor.

(I don't mean to finger-point, just sayin'.)

http://www.andalusiastarnews.com/2013/04/16/15-years-later-ramer-1-of-top-cold-cases-chief-believes-girl-is-dead/

• Like 1

Here's a website that I found that seems to offer: http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/1596/ALABAMA-ENDANGERED-MISSING-KEMBERLY-LORIN-RAMER#.VxelkjArIhc

Now I say seems to offer because my darn computer wants to freeze on it. I'm sure it's not the site, my computer needs to go into the shop, it does this every now and again, even on current regular news articles, when it wants to drive me particularly crazy. I did get into enough that I thought some of the locations of the searches and the dogs' reactions might be interesting to you since you know the area. It sounded a lot like the area my local girl went missing from. It's an area that has a lot of abandoned farm houses, old barns, wells, cisterns etc. and they were never able to find the body.

What I did see a couple of times was that the parents say none of her shoes were missing. I'm not sure anyone could be totally accurate on that since I've got shoes in the back of my own closet that I have totally forgotten that I own. If true though it is interesting because it would say to me that whoever took her was not planning on her needing to walk about. She'd either already been killed or the perp was on his way to do that.

I'm also questioning the fact that all of the interaction with the parents, interviews, etc. seem to come from the mother. Since she was living with the father, I think that's a little odd. Do you know anything about

him ?

• Like 1

This below is the only article I've come across with info directly from the father.

The FBI believe she was kidnapped between midnight and 5:30 AM and so I don't know if the father came home after midnight and left out at 5:30 AM, or if 5:30 is when he got home but regardless, I'd like to know if he found the home unlocked...

As to indications of a struggle in her bedroom, apart from the more ruffled-than-usual bedding, there's a discrepancy as to whether there were other indications and I don't know if that's because it's something he didn't immediately notice or if it's inaccurate reporting.

Also, there's the info that she had plans to go out with friends and that she was headed home to shower and change, but I'm not sure if that's what she actually did and so I don't know what to make of that info/circumstance.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/crime_court/search-continues-for-missing--year-old-kemberly-ramer/article_cbadc866-ce61-11e4-afad-63fb75e019a0.html

• Like 1

In this article linked below, the mother says her daughter was home alone that there were indications she was taken by force from her bedroom.

All I can offer is that I've observed it in other cases like this one- where the person was abducted from their home- the perp was almost always a neighbor.

http://www.andalusia...s-girl-is-dead/

I had always assumed the father was home, at least at some point to have found her room and bed the way it was. There's been so many different stories and rumors, i get confused. But yeah, i don't think there was any sign of forced entry, so i also assume who ever it was, maybe she knew them and trusted him/them. There's also some sites with conflicting reports, so it's hard to get a beat on the truth.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

There's also been rumors inside my immediate family that the father may have owed a debt to a drug dealer, perhaps Bubba. But you know how these local rumors can be. But i can tell you with a certainty that Bubba doesn't screw around when people owed him money. He's been known to riddle a home with bullets. I'll see if i can find that report. I remember seeing it, but it's been years.

I feel a bit guilty for perpetuating the notion of his involvement in this crime, because i could seriously be way off. These days, he's a much better guy.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

http://www.andalusia...s-girl-is-dead/

Not sure who her neighbors were. I do know investigators questioned many of them. I also suspect that investigators have withheld a few suspect names. Two of them being Tony and Bubba. Neither were reported in any press at all, and may or may not be official suspects. But being my family knows them both pretty well, we are aware of the fact they were both questioned in regards to the case. I can say for a certainty that neither of them were her neighbors at that time. Bubba has lived in the same place for many years, same with Tony.

But something the investigators knew, led them to question both. What aroused their suspicions, i do not know, or what the investigators found out about them that would caused them to believe they were linked to Kemberly.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

But something the investigators knew, led them to question both. What aroused their suspicions, i do not know, or what the investigators found out about them that would caused them to believe they were linked to Kemberly.

Well if neither were neighbors and there's no known link between either of them and the girl, then I'd think they were questioned because of a criminal hx., or because their names happened to be brought up in other interviews.

• 1 month later...

For my own safety I will use fake names. I have talked to police and they are aware of what happened. But here is my story. Last year I stopped at friends home and kemberleys uncles truck was sitting in the driveway. Now I know his truck but the person who was driving the truck brought back a terrible memory. One I had stuck away and had almost forgotten . So many questions started flooding my head. Why is this man driving kemberleys uncles truck I never knew that he knew them. One piece of a puzzle snapped together as the memories came back. I immediately rushed home to go online and see when kemberleys missing date was. I had to know. The reason I wanted to know was because the last time I had seen kemberley was the same exact night this same man driving her uncles truck was at my house. You see we was celebrating my daughters first birthday and we had a few friend's over. I had just turned 19 yrs old and was still a baby myself. But why it stands out in my mind is because of the events that unfolded next. I remember kemberley and another dark haired female coming by with a guy whom I went to school with. They was younger than me but they stopped by to say hey. While they was there the girls stayed inside with me and stood at my bar.. well two guys older men came in to speak with my boyfriend. He worked construction with one of them . The other man I had never seen in my life. He kept calling me bedroom eyes. Which made me very uncomfortable .. eventually everyone left. Take into consideration my daughters birthday is Aug 14 97,     kemberleys missing date is Aug 15 or 17 th.  Meaning this is within a week time frame If not the exact day. Okay so everyone left. Well that Monday morning I was washing dishes in the kitchen and my baby's daddy was in the shower getting ready for work. He was late but it was aprox. 6 30 am. Usually my brother in law would stop and get him for work. So when I heard a knock at the door I was expecting him. Much to my surprise it was the man from a few nights earlier standing there with long greasy hair and he was looking down I could see blood all over his forehead like the skin was gone and there was dried up blood running down the bridge of his nose. He said in a deep voice never looking up he said is your husband home ,I said just a min. And kinda pushed the door shut. Turned and was gonna walk toward the back of the house where my baby daddy was when I could feel something behind me. When I turned around he was behind me with a black bungee cord stretched up in the air. Like coming at my head with it. I immediately kicked him as hard as I could and managed to fight the door which had his hand caught in it. I would use my foot to kinda hold the door better. Having brothers I learned a few tricks. While he was using the other hand to beat on the door and yelling at me I finally got it closed and locked then I screamed a blood screaching yell for my old man. He could tell in my voice something was bad wrong. I was shaking and all I could say is there's a man with a rope . He looked out the window and said oh it's just ***** I'm like no don't open it . Talking thru the door to him he was telling my old man he had broke down up the road and needed to call someone. I'm like he try ed to get me . And he said he found the bungee cord and a screwdriver the only two items he had on him while walking from where he broke down at. So I said what happened to your head your last victim ??? He said he got in a bar fight last night that's where he was coming from . Well evertually my old man went outside and told him to get in the truck he would take him to his vehicle . Well he wouldn't load up. He said he got dropped off there was no vehicle up the road. So I said beat his ass he is lieing. If you git dropped off why did you have the bungee cord thought u found it walking ???? Beat his ass.. and my old man said come on I'll take you home . Shaken and scared I made myself believe maybe I had overreacted . I had still not heard of kemberleys being missing .. well I got a call she was missing and they was all meeting up to have a four wheeler search for her. Low and behold he was there .. I go up to my dad and I'm like what is he doing here ?? He thought I was talking about someone else .. I wasnt . I was furious and decided to not go on the search. I'm sure his head had not cleared up yet so someone had to of seen it. Years passed and I still didn't connect any if this together until the day I saw this same man driving her uncles truck.and it was like a missing peice of the puzzle and the rest just fell in place. Maybe I'm wrong maybe he didn't have anything to do with it but I know that he tried to get me that day. And I do know he had blood like someone had clawed his head up. I think hI'm and the other man followed them girls home that night and beings she knew him let him in and he got her with the same bungee cord he tried to get me with. I think the other man was waiting down the road to pick him up just like when he got drooped off at my house. And I may get killed before the police look into this. But at least I know I'm doing the right thing by letting it be known. He has been in their family for years. She would of known him.. maybe her and her mom will get closure if this is solved. It's been so heavy on my heart for a year now. If I'm wrong then I will say I'm sorry for saying he did it to her but I won't apologise for what he did to me cause that scared me for life. Thank god he didn't take my life one wrong move and I would be missing just like kemberley ..  I hope she gets justice. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Damn.

Well, if all of that is true, let the police know! That sounds frightening and this girl deserves justice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Any one looked into the Father of this case ,  in most cases it has something to do with the Father :(

Her father is deseased. Passed away several years back from cancer. But he loved her he wouldn't have done anything to harm her. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I really hope you are still on here MissingPiece.. Is there any way that mans name would have been Mushy??? Nickname of coarse. Who was her boyfriend i never found a name? Please i think i know who did it. Theres no way to prove of coarse but im just curious

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whatta story Missing. And welcome Gothim to the convo as well. If it's true, that is some strange stuff. That would definitely warrant an investigation if i were in charge of the case. You went to the Opp police with this? I'd also go to Andalusia, and maybe even the FBI, considering they have also looked into the case. Not sure of their status on it, but i know in Andalusia and Opp it remains an open case.

I think its the same person who also knows where Shanna Peoples is???? Geneva,Al. Alot of girls go missing in this area and put it this way im glad i got out. Alot of people are family with the law around there everhone knows everything amd everyone. The boyfriend???? I need to know who he was???? Because there are stories of one person inparticular that he done it. I myself have been told a story by who i believe was the bf at the time. If these two match he told me she was 17 they were dating they got into an argument he took her home and never seen her again. Small rumors from his town is he did it as well as Shanna Peoples and there isnt a forsure count on how many more. Its crazy. This town keeps thier mouths quiet.

• Like 1

I was always told by people near and far dont go there. He killed a girl and i happen to be around this town when Shanna Peoples went missing. I hope someone can get on here with info of who the bf was at the time bc if its the same person i tjink thay has a story to match this and a family friend said oh the girl he killed was Kimberley Ramer. Then omg we have it. Thats how i found this i met someone who just happen to cross me one day we fot on small talk of this town amd who she knew and where and she like omg u know him???? Its crazy what he done to Kimberley Ramer they still havent found her. Well if two and two match Shanna Peoples was staying at this mans house not long before she went missing. Small talk revealed they had a dissagreement and Shanna went home just like Kimberley know keep in mind Shanna was young and tbis is yrs apart but he is older.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

#Mrxgetem I know I would cause it'd be better coming from you than someone like me that just read your comment and passed it on to law enforcement and he'll I wouldn't worry about being annonomous I'd be as detailed as possible and say "look my name is.....and here's what happened and it's been weighing on my concious ever since and his name is......." As for me I think that would be the right thing to do and I'd like to assume you ain't got nothing to lose by using your name right off the bat right? Plus if you've been in jail you know as well as I do that ones that are locked up have been known to open up about stuff when they realize they ain't got nothing to lose what's the worse that could happen? You said he's not very credible so I wouldn't worry about him making good on any threats

Edited by Bigox36467