Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tim Peake prepares to run marathon in space

UM-Bot

The British astronaut will be running the London marathon while aboard the International Space Station.

Peake, who arrived on the orbital outpost back in December 2015, will be joining thousands of other runners by strapping himself in to a treadmill and running the entire 26. 2-mile course in space.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/293790/tim-peake-prepares-to-run-marathon-in-space

• Like 1

Wow, so I can run the London marathon using my treadmill in my home in the U.S.--- Geography no longer matters, the only thing that matters is the time it starts.

• Like 2

Don't forget your VR headgear so you can see the course and get out of the way of runners that are slowing you down.

• Like 2

Congratulations! (Also the stations batteries are fully charged now!)

• Like 2

London Marathon? He actually went the equivalent of just over twice around Earth's equator.

Well done Peake

• Like 1

Its interesting how people are doing dumb stuff just to get any recognition...and don't forget he is in a 0 gravity so its close like siting in a big char in moving my legs in mid air for half a day and say I just finish a marathon.

Its interesting how people are doing dumb stuff just to get any recognition

If you think the first official British astronaut (or ANY astronaut) needs to do this to get recognition then you are deluding yourself.

and don't forget he is in a 0 gravity so its close like siting in a big char in moving my legs in mid air for half a day and say I just finish a marathon.

No it really isn't like that.

The entire point of the tread mill on the ISS is to provide exercise by simulating 1g. Strong elastic is used to pull the astronaut onto the tread mill. Running a marathon on that device would be like running a marathon on a tread mill on Earth.

• Like 2

If you think the first official British astronaut (or ANY astronaut) needs to do this to get recognition then you are deluding yourself.

The entire point of the tread mill on the ISS is to provide exercise by simulating 1g. Strong elastic is used to pull the astronaut onto the tread mill. Running a marathon on that device would be like running a marathon on a tread mill on Earth.

Yes, but minus the heat/cold, wind, etc. I applaud Peake for doing it at all, but the 15 minutes of fame has to be in there somewhere.

Fame is like a drug, you have attention h*** and this can be found in any job description....being an astronaut doesn't make him immune and if you think because he is an astronaut he is not for the fame, then you are the one who is delusional.

I exercise my whole live and I also run half marathons ( I can prepare for a full one but i will loose my gains )...with that being said I can say its not the same at all.

1.The straps will not help stimulate the gravity at all an running in his place is probably x3 times easier (at least)

You can notice how he is kinda buoyant and not dropping down quick enough as you would if you run. Also the most important is that while he is lifting his leg to go forward he is not experiencing any gravity with hat leg, he is only experiencing tension on one leg at the time...and where are the hands they are not experiencing any gravity at all.

2. You don't have any wind resistance

3. Running in optimal temperature.

Ask any professional athlete and he will tell you the same.

Edited by diablo_04

Well I'm 62 yrs old and weigh in at a slim trim 380 lbs . so Color me impressed all the same . :su:tsu: