Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge coral reef found off the coast of Brazil

UM-Bot

A 600-mile-long coral reef at the mouth of the Amazon river has taken scientists completely by surprise.

Stretching from French Guiana to Brazil's Maranhao state, the remarkable discovery was made entirely by accident during efforts to look for new oil drilling sites in the region.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...coast-of-brazil

• Like 2

Very cool. So when do they start the drilling? Call me cynical....

• Like 2

Quick, let's get to work destroying it, it's what we humans do!

(that would make a good GEICO TV ad).

Edited by Infernal Gnu

Quick, let's get to work destroying it, it's what we humans do!

No need to rush anyone, you're all doing it already. Don't you drive? I don't. It's called a choice. It's how humans (well, at least some of us) take responsibility, collectively. You wanna change the world? Change yourself. Now who's with me? (*deadly silence*) Thought so. Momentary comfort over our children's future. Makes sense. Don't walk to work tomorrow, why not take the car? :)

Another example of something that if a "Conspiracy Nut" had said existed last week, he would have been seriously derided and laughed at. Because science can't be wrong. However, it can be corrected....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

No need to rush anyone, you're all doing it already. Don't you drive? I don't. It's called a choice. It's how humans (well, at least some of us) take responsibility, collectively. You wanna change the world? Change yourself. Now who's with me? (*deadly silence*) Thought so. Momentary comfort over our children's future. Makes sense. Don't walk to work tomorrow, why not take the car? :)

Is it really a choice?

There aren't many places beyond the big cities where there is much in the way of public transportation. And guess what...people do need to get to work and get to the store. Many jobs also require people to have a reliable car so that they can do work stuff.

About that children's future. Children who will probably drive cars. There's the choice bit. You could choose not to have any children. Who's with me? Imagine all the resources that would be saved.

I hope the coral lives on and on

• Like 1

Yet here you are on your computer.

Another example of something that if a "Conspiracy Nut" had said existed last week, he would have been seriously derided and laughed at. Because science can't be wrong. However, it can be corrected....

What on earth are you rambling about? Where is the conspiracy?

So how do you get around when you need to go further than walking distance? Do you take a bus, cab or train. Same difference as driving in the whole scheme of things.

I'd like to see some pictures of this reef. Unfortunately, the picture in the article is completely geographically inaccurate. It's a picture from an Indo-Pacific reef. The corals in that picture do not exist in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean.

• Like 1