Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

8 Family Members Killed In Ohio

susieice

I read an article earlier that said a a few were killed in their sleep.

Whoever did this isn't your normal crackhead thief breaking in windows or kicking down a door, this was someone or someone's with at least some common sense.

I believe they quietly "broke" into the homes after knowing that their targets were asleep. Think about waking up with a shotgun in your face, then ask yourself what would you do? I don't think that you would go for your gun, you would probably listen to what they had to say and hope that they just wanted the money.

The two being beaten is VERY interesting to me. Whoever did this did it in a professional manor with the rest, they didn't just beat these two up for sport. This is where the answer lies. These two are they key to the whole thing, they are the reason this happened and they are the ones who had a personal connection to the killer(s).

Why beat two, unless they woke up and needed to be subdued. I think I remember reading that the two that were beaten were in the same house and the first ones found. The girl who first reporting finding bodies said they appeared to have been beaten, but why go on to the rest of the family?

Why beat two, unless they woke up and needed to be subdued. I think I remember reading that the two that were beaten were in the same house and the first ones found. The girl who first reporting finding bodies said they appeared to have been beaten, but why go on to the rest of the family?

The killer(s) had guns, they wouldn't need to risk getting into a fist fight with these 2 to subdue them. They would have just shot them. They were either looking for information or delivering a personal message to these guys. Also these 2 being beaten is pretty much a dead give away that there were multiple shooters. You wouldn't break into a house with a gun, then drop your gun to try and fight 2 people hand to hand.

As for why the rest of the family was killed. This was a hit, and whoever ordered it wanted to send a message. They either believed the whole family played a role, or this was just a form of punishment for crossing them.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 4

A girl that lived across the street from me flagged me down one day and said that she had accidentally locked herself out.

I went to the door by her garage and got her back inside using nothing but an old student Id card.

It's not hard to get into a house without leaving a sign. Unless these places had metal deadbolt doors on all entrances and bars on the windows, this isn't unusual to me.

That's a fair point. Did your neighbor have vicious dogs? Evidently, one or more of the victims did. That was why the grandpa thought that it likely was an inside job.

• Like 1

That's a fair point. Did your neighbor have vicious dogs? Evidently, one or more of the victims did. That was why the grandpa thought that it likely was an inside job.

There was a show on Discovery where 2 ex thieves would break into peoples homes for them to test their security.

Every person on that show would say how their dogs would make sure that they didn't get inside. The truth is that you have no idea how your dogs will react, and every single time on that show they would either shut the dogs into a side room, let them outside, or they would feed them and the dogs would just be hanging out with them.

I will admit it sounds strange, but I don't know these dogs, and neither does the media. We have no idea if they were professionally trained guard dogs, and we don't know exactly how the perpetrators dealt with them.

This isn't a movie, things don't always work out how you would think. The dogs could have been outside at the time for all we know, we only know how it was once police arrived.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1

These were dogs, big pit bulls of which the family had to be alerted, gee my little dog barks at every little noise.

Edited by docyabut2

There was a show on Discovery where 2 ex thieves would break into peoples homes for them to test their security.

Every person on that show would say how their dogs would make sure that they didn't get inside. The truth is that you have no idea how your dogs will react, and every single time on that show they would either shut the dogs into a side room, let them outside, or they would feed them and the dogs would just be hanging out with them.

I will admit it sounds strange, but I don't know these dogs, and neither does the media. We have no idea if they were professionally trained guard dogs, and we don't know exactly how the perpetrators dealt with them.

This isn't a movie, things don't always work out how you would think. The dogs could have been outside at the time for all we know, we only know how it was once police arrived.

I saw that episode! Some of the "guard dogs" were friendly to the experts who broke into their homes. There wasn't much barking or biting, and at least one of the dogs wagged its tail. The grandpa said that the victims' dogs were vicious, though.

• Like 2

With that response I imagine that you spend most of your day "wondering".

Yes, if no one ever wondered, nothing new would ever be created or questioned.

There were the dogs, big pit bulls of which the family had to be alerted, gee my little dog barks at every little noise.

The dogs would bark even if they knew the person. So this doesn't really hold up.

Also it seems that a few of the people appeared to be killed in their sleep, so obviously the dogs didn't wake them up.

Dogs don't just go straight to attacking people just because they don't know them.

When I got out of the military my parents had gotten a new dog while I was gone, which is a blue pitbull . I was back in town and needed to stop by their house to grab some of my old stuff, they weren't home. I walked in and you could tell that the dog had absolutely no idea what to do, I didn't act scared and just ignored him and he just went upstairs and hid in my parents room until I left.

That is my personal experience, I've seen it first hand. Again this isn't a movie.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 2

The dogs would bark even if they knew the person. So this doesn't really hold up.

Also it seems that a few of the people appeared to be killed in their sleep, so obviously the dogs didn't wake them up.

Dogs don't just go straight to attacking people just because they don't know them.

When I got out of the military my parents had gotten a new dog while I was gone, which is a blue pitbull . I was back in town and needed to stop by their house to grab some of my old stuff, they weren't home. I walked in and you could tell that the dog had absolutely no idea what to do, I didn't act scared and just ignored him and he just went upstairs and hid in my parents room until I left.

That is my personal experience, I've seen it first hand. Again this isn't a movie.

Sorry brain but most dogs will bark at anyone coming into the door inside or out .

The killer(s) had guns, they wouldn't need to risk getting into a fist fight with these 2 to subdue them. They would have just shot them. They were either looking for information or delivering a personal message to these guys. Also these 2 being beaten is pretty much a dead give away that there were multiple shooters. You wouldn't break into a house with a gun, then drop your gun to try and fight 2 people hand to hand.

As for why the rest of the family was killed. This was a hit, and whoever ordered it wanted to send a message. They either believed the whole family played a role, or this was just a form of punishment for crossing them.

Yes, 2 against 1 in a fistfight would not have been good odds for the attacker. There must have been more than one present at the house. At least they didn't harm the children.

• Like 2

Pitbulls are known to be trained as guard dogs by a lot of drug dealers, so I can understand why docyabut2 would wonder about the dogs not carrying on. My cat will crouch and stare at the door if he hears someone in the hallway by our apartment. Then again, we really don't know if the dogs did or didn't attack and were shut up somewhere because we don't know who the perps are and the only other people who were there are deceased. I believe the dogs were only at one of the locations.

Then again, look at the Nicole Brown Simpson case. She had an Akita, and the dog did not attack or bark until after her murder. At least the neighbors didn't report hearing the dog for any length of time until then.

• Like 1

Yes, 2 against 1 in a fistfight would not have been good odds for the attacker. There must have been more than one present at the house. At least they didn't harm the children.

Wouldn't many Latin American drug cartels murder children? They have a history of it. It doesn't even matter that the babies and toddlers couldn't identify them. They kill the innocent out of spite. Some of them are beyond ruthless and vicious. ISIS has nothing on them. Just look at the beheadings in Mexico. Also, you wonder about travel.

• Like 4

Wouldn't many Latin American drug cartels murder children? They have a history of it. It doesn't even matter that the babies and toddlers couldn't identify them. They kill the innocent out of spite. Some of them are beyond ruthless and vicious. ISIS has nothing on them. Just look at the beheadings in Mexico. Also, you wonder about travel.

Innocent bystanders don't matter to cartels or street gangs. It would make you wonder about other family members, even ones that are "arming" themselves for protection purposes.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting link: http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/pike-county-update-rhoden-family-member-in-911-call-i-fear-for-my-life?autoplay=true

It seems other members of the family are actually frightened. Now, again, it makes no sense that, if this is drug involvement, why would family members who weren't involved be fearful ?

Here'another that gives a brief bio on the victims. It's interesting that there seems to be a 2007 date that multiple men quit working and became self-employed. I wonder if that's how old the grow facilities are ?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/pike-county-shooting-victims-a-closer-look-at-the-/nrD5P/

It also gives a location for a second murder site as being Left Fork Rd.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

Here's an interesting link: http://www.wcpo.com/...e?autoplay=true

It seems other members of the family are actually frightened. Now, again, it makes no sense that, if this is drug involvement, why would family members who weren't involved be fearful ?

Here'another that gives a brief bio on the victims. It's interesting that there seems to be a 2007 date that multiple men quit working and became self-employed. I wonder if that's how old the grow facilities are ?

http://www.daytondai...-at-the-/nrD5P/

It also gives a location for a second murder site as being Left Fork Rd.

Saw this in one of your links and found it interesting.

http://www.wcpo.com/...county-killings

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/4-possible-motives-in-pike-county-ohio-murders

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Innocent bystanders don't matter to cartels or street gangs. It would make you wonder about other family members, even ones that are "arming" themselves for protection purposes.

They had past feuds with other people too. Could one of them have snapped?

• Like 2

I did find the addresses of the murder sites:

3122 Union Hill Rd., Piketon, OH

4077 Union Hill Rd.,

4199 Union Hill Rd.

799 Left Fork Rd.,

I'm sure where townships lines ran, so I used Pike County, OH to search

• Like 2

This is a good point. I was wondering about this myself. They could have been worried that killing the kids would bring too much backlash in the US, but honestly I'm not sure.

This is a good point as well. The more you read up about this, the more you see how many enemies they had close to home.

• Like 2

"Just thinking, wouldn't a 3 yr recognize someone if this was done by other family members? Really worries me what that child might have seen. The other 2 were too young."

In once case a 9 year old girl identified a rapist / murderer as one of her uncles. The uncle spent about 7 years in prison until it was found that the actual perp was the man next door, whose resemblance to her uncle was only superficial. The neighbor had just got out of prison on serious assault charges but the possibility of him being the perp seems never to have been considered.

The investigators are not even saying what kind of gun or guns were used, they would know by the bullets and could trace them, if there were different guns used or one gun.

This is such a sad event, but I `ve had read of many sad cases where a family member do kill many of their families members. There was a case while back a young man went into a trailer and kill eight of his family members also.

This was such a big family living there in Pike county and they can check if any had guns.

Anything is possible at this point. I would say the perbs were someone who knew the family well and right where to find them.

• Like 2

The investigators are not even saying what kind of gun or guns were used, they would know by the bullets and could trace them, if there were different guns used or one gun.

This is such a sad event, but I `ve had read of many sad cases where a family member do kill many of their families members. There was a case while back a young man went into a trailer and kill eight of his family members also.

This was such a big family living there in Pike county and they can check if any had guns.

I can't imagine that they would not have owned guns. My question would be, how large was their arsenal of guns ? You see, Docy, hunting is a way of life down there.

It's not a hobby or a sport, it's a necessity of life and venison is a staple of life.

My theory so far is that it was not the Cartel but rather someone they knew. It seems to me most likely that the dogs knew the person but also that the dogs were called off

and the perps were allowed entry at least at the location that had the dogs. What they've said so far indicates even the older woman was still in bed

At night those dogs would have given an alert. She had to feel relaxed with whoever it was in order for her to just stay in bed. Then add the fact that whoever it was allowed

the kids to live. I forget who posted that doing that is an American thought pattern not one practiced by the cartel but I agree 100 %

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

A couple suggestions and guesses on my part...

Dogs.. Maybe someone knew enough about the houses to have the forethought to bring a couple tasty steaks for the puppies. Sounds almost cartoonist classic, but it works. Of course, this depends on where those dogs were- in the yard, locked in the house openly, kennel or locked into part of the house. If someone had to break in to give the dogs steaks, obviously that wouldn't work.

The children... they are a few days old, a few months old, and the three year old if I'm recalling right? Do we know yet where they were located? Perhaps the perps weren't aware of the new baby, though I would think that household would have been the lightest sleepers with a new baby in the house. The three year old might have been in the "wrong" house- as in sleeping over at the aunts or grandpas house rather in their own home. Same goes for the other baby, if perhaps one family member was staying at the new baby house and brought their baby for the night. So the perps might not have known to look for the children where they were.

The more I look at the pics from the crime scene, the more I'm convinced this was someone with intimate knowledge of the family. The area is very rural with the homes surrounded by trees. They would be difficult to spot from the road at night without lights on, which is something the police haven't said they were. The roads themselves are very backwoods. The houses don't appear to be roadside. To find 4 of them would require knowing right where they were and what roads to take.

Does anyone know where the dogs were found? It's possible the owners were forced to pen them up at gunpoint.

I saw somewhere that this family had a lot of links to Kentucky and that one of the victims was actually visiting from there. Will try to find the link again.

Yes, Gary Rhoden lived in Kentucky and was visiting. That is where he will be buried.

http://www.clrfuneralhome.com/#!Gary-D-Rhoden/dffpr/571fb5a00cf269c350f0970c

He was one of the one's beaten and the first found.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3