Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

8 Family Members Killed In Ohio

susieice

George's hearing was postponed to June 21 to give his attorneys time to reassess the case after Jake's confession.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/george-wagner-iv-charged-in-rhoden-family-killings-to-appear-in-court/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tony Rhoden said the family really hasn't healed from the events of that night. He talks about the day in court when Jake confessed. Good article. I feel so bad for him.

George Wagner still stands by a not guilty plea for now. Like in post above, he returns to court on June 21.

Jake did implicate his family during his confession.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/28/rhoden-family-murders-pike-county-jake-wagner-whats-next/7365921002/

Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa said in court Thursday that Jake Wagner has told prosectors and investigators that his family were active participants in the planning of the killings and in carrying them out. Jake Wagner, through his confession and admission, even led investigators to where they could recover the three guns he said his family used while killing the eight people in four homes in three separate locations in rural Pike County in the middle of the night on April 22, 2016.

• Like 4

On 5/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, susieice said:

Tony Rhoden said the family really hasn't healed from the events of that night. He talks about the day in court when Jake confessed. Good article. I feel so bad for him.

George Wagner still stands by a not guilty plea for now. Like in post above, he returns to court on June 21.

Jake did implicate his family during his confession.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/28/rhoden-family-murders-pike-county-jake-wagner-whats-next/7365921002/

Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa said in court Thursday that Jake Wagner has told prosectors and investigators that his family were active participants in the planning of the killings and in carrying them out. Jake Wagner, through his confession and admission, even led investigators to where they could recover the three guns he said his family used while killing the eight people in four homes in three separate locations in rural Pike County in the middle of the night on April 22, 2016.

The Dispatch won't allow me to open any of it's stories without subscribing.  (So, Ouija, this time you're not alone)  They are such a rag newspaper, I can't bring myself to even give them a minimal amount.  

Anyway, I'm probably the only one that didn't think of this in the first place but a friend just pointed out to me that Jake's plea reflect that he was involved in the planning rather than being the actual trigger man.  Could that explain why the reports first stated that he had pled to five of the murders and then jumped to eight ?  I mean could it be Jake actually pulled the trigger on five but then they corrected it because he was just as guilty of the other three because he was part of the overall plan which makes him just as guilty of the other three ?   (If that's true then it becomes infuriating the charmer Fredericka is out and about because they have Walmart video of her purchasing a number of the tennis shoes for all of their look alike footsies)

Another couple of thoughts are that the reason they went ahead and filed the bogus custody docs were to strengthen their "we had no reason to kill her/them" claim:  See, she had already given Jake custody.

But the most devious thing that I thought of was why the cousin who lived alone in the camper was littered with dollar bills.  They were trying to point the finger at the cause of the murders being drug involvement but Jake had for a time worked with Chris Sr. and live at Dana's with Hannah.  So they picked the guy who Jake had the least involvement with to implicate the family with drugs.  

As always just kicking thoughts around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

George Wagner IV, Jake's brother, will have a motion hearing on Sept 13th. His trial isn't scheduled until April 4, 2022. Nothing about the parents. This is taking so long to get to court! This is just over 2 weeks short of 6 years since the Rhoden family was murdered.

https://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/2021/06/21/george-wagner-iv-stand-trial-april-4-rhoden-family-killings/7770372002/

https://www.fox19.com/2021/04/22/jake-wagner-pleads-guilty-pike-county-massacre-2/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Jake Wagner was the ex-boyfriend of one of the victims, Hanna Mae Rhoden, 19.

I still think he was the only one that killed them all .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In September, Angela Wagner pleaded guilty in court of the Rhoden murders. She's looking at 30 years without parole as a result of a plea deal. Good video in here.

https://www.fox19.com/2019/09/16/angela-wagner-goes-court-monday-4/

Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk says Wagner pleaded to conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, several counts of aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence, and other charges as part of a plea deal. The remaining eight counts of aggravated murder were dismissed.

The prosecution is recommending Wagner receive 30 years with no possibility of the death penalty. As part of the plea, she has agreed to testify against the other defendants.

Junk says the victim’s family was aware of the plea and agreed to the terms.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lawyers said Jake's brother didn't kill any of the Rhodens. A Judge will hear a dismissal motion on December 22. HIs trial is set for April 4, 2022.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/rhoden-family-murders/hearing-set-george-wagner-iv-connection-to-rhoden-family-murder-case/530-f21321eb-a91b-45eb-83d9-77c0cd0af304

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — A motion hearing has been set for one of the four Wagner family members charged in the 2016 Rhoden family murders.

Attorneys for George Wagner IV want the aggravated murder charges dropped and the possibility of a death sentence dismissed because they claim new information has been discovered indicating he did not kill any members of the Rhoden family.

In a court filing, lawyers for the 29-year-old questioned the fairness of proceeding with the capital case after prosecutors turned over information indicating Wagner didn’t kill the victims.

The request comes after his brother, Edward “Jake” Wagner, and his mother, Angela Wagner, reached plea deals.  A judge will hear the motion on Dec. 22.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Attorneys representing a member of the Wagner family want the aggravated murder charges and the possibility of the death penalty dismissed because they have discovered information indicating he didn’t kill any members of the Rhoden family.

George Wagner IV, his parents and his brother were charged in the shootings that occurred in April 2016 at three trailers and a camper near Piketon. Prosecutors alleged the Wagner family planned the killings for months, motivated by a custody dispute.

Edward pleaded guilty to 23 counts including multiple counts of aggravated murder on April 22. He admitted he was personally responsible for five of the deaths.

Prosecutors said he gave a full account of what happened that morning, along with information that led them to additional evidence.

Angela pleaded guilty this month to helping plan the murders and prosecutors said she gave them additional information. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to drop aggravated murder charges against her.

The plea deals include agreements for Edward and Angela to testify against George and his father, George “Billy” Wagner III, if their cases go to trial. Both had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Related Articl

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WOW! :o Thanks so much for your posts and links, Susie. I'm glad things are moving along, this has gone on for waaay too long.

• Like 3

It's been 5 1/2 years since the Rhodens were murdered. At least now, we know there will be some justice for that poor family. It's good to see the courts are keeping the Rhoden family in the loop as the cases with the Wagners move on. They're being told and approving the plea bargains. I don't think it will be until Jake's trial that we really find out what happened that night.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

It's been 5 1/2 years since the Rhodens were murdered. At least now, we know there will be some justice for that poor family. It's good to see the courts are keeping the Rhoden family in the loop as the cases with the Wagners move on. They're being told and approving the plea bargains. I don't think it will be until Jake's trial that we really find out what happened that night.

Has it been that long? Woah. I remember this case breaking like it was yesterday.

• Like 3

Angela Wagner moved two of the bodies, so that puts her firmly at the scene of the murders . . . .which I don't think has been mentioned before. I thought she was just involved in the planning. In fact, does anyone else here think she was the driving force behind the whole thing? Planning; whipping up the others into the frame of mind to carry the plan out; keeping them on track and then going with them to the murder scenes. What a vile person. In most of her photos she has a slight smirk on her face.

From one of the links: 'Jake wanted sole custody because he believed Hanna "was exposing (their daughter) Sophia to people he believed she should not be around"! . . . . . as opposed to his own family of mass-murders?!!  

• Like 3

I wonder which two she moved. I thought they were all in their beds except for Chris Sr. Angela was way involved with the planning and the murders.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I was looking to see if there were anymore updates to this case and found this. Leonard Manley, father of Dana, died of liver cancer in December. He was 70. He's throughout this thread a lot. A very outspoken man since the day the murders were discovered by his other daughter Bobby Jo and son James on April 22, 2016. At least he did live to hear Jake and Angela confess to the killings. RIP sir.

https://news.yahoo.com/leonard-manley-father-woman-slain-173243942.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF8quJkgON6G23Z6_O6RBJ4WzMRKo06SO_yBb04ajAfCA8uUp1ZwakW_HbXJwUrdwkHj454NBzI3LV3IuSWVj67Y0zyznJBryn-nAWs9WciZmlhltLjeJDYL5bgBfvqcuUfBKiotLAqaIJdOWntWJawzsFVKYWjpk1dXm7xkrQ3H

https://www.wvxu.org/ohio-news/2021-12-13/rhoden-family-murders-leonard-manley-dies-at-70

Manley was the father of Dana Manley Rhoden, 37; father-in-law of Christopher Rhoden, Sr., 40; and grandfather of Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20; Hanna Rhoden, 19; and Christopher Rhoden, Jr., 16 — five of the eight victims in the killings that also left Hannah Hazel Gilley, 20; Kenneth Rhoden, 44; and Gary Rhoden, 38, dead.

Manley, at first a vocal critic of law enforcement as the investigation dragged from months into years, later became a fixture at the Pike County courthouse after authorities arrested four members of another local family in the slayings. Manley vowed to seek justice for his family and he rarely missed a court hearing.

In those early days, however, his sometimes gruff demeanor was off-putting to some in law enforcement and the media. But one thing was clear: He loved his family.

He once said the slayings shattered him.

In the early weeks and months of the investigation, suspicion swirled around his surviving family members and some in the community pointed fingers at his son, James Manley, and daughter, Bobby Jo Manley, as possible suspects in what became the state’s largest and most complex criminal investigation.

Leonard Manley said he knew his family was not involved. He was among the first to point the finger at the Wagner family as potential suspects in the slayings, citing a bitter battle between the two families brewing for months over child custody.

He was correct.

Through it all, Manley and his wife, Judy, sought solace at Union Hill Church and continued to attend services there when they were able, Fulton said.

"With all he went through, I tried to understand all that. What that poor man went though," Fulton said. "Nothing, just nothing was as important as his family."

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found this dated April 5, 2022 regarding the trial of Jake's brother, George Wagner IV.

https://www.fox19.com/2022/04/05/pike-county-massacre-eldest-wagner-son-returns-court/

George Wagner IV’s trial is scheduled to begin on Aug. 29.

Wagner IV is indicted on a total of 22 charges, including eight counts of aggravated murder.

He’s also charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of tampering with evidence, one count each of forgery, unauthorized use of property, interception of wire, oral or electronic communications, obstructing justice, and engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity.

As part of the pleas, Jake Wagner and Angela Wagner agreed to testify against George Wagner IV and the family patriarch, George “Billy” Wagner, 50.

George Wagner IV and his father have both pleaded not guilty.

George Wagner IV is being held at the Montgomery County Jail.

His father is locked up at the Butler County Jail on eight counts of aggravated murder, four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of tampering with evidence, two counts of unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance and single counts of conspiracy, forgery, unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, obstructing justice and engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity.

Judge Deering said earlier this year that a final hearing on the evidence and testimony related to his role in the killings will be held by the end of August and his trial date will be set no later than Oct. 31.

A trial date will be set no later than Oct. 31, according to the judge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some new evidence. This video is from 8 days ago. I had to turn on the sound. The Wagners took a vote to decide the murders. The father arranged a fake drug deal with Chris Sr. as a ruse to gain entry. This explains why Chris was up and not in bed like the other victims. He was expecting Billy but the two sons were also in the car.

https://news.yahoo.com/prosecutor-wagner-family-voted-kill-223341805.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF8quJkgON6G23Z6_O6RBJ4WzMRKo06SO_yBb04ajAfCA8uUp1ZwakW_HbXJwUrdwkHj454NBzI3LV3IuSWVj67Y0zyznJBryn-nAWs9WciZmlhltLjeJDYL5bgBfvqcuUfBKiotLAqaIJdOWntWJawzsFVKYWjpk1dXm7xkrQ3H

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Susie, thank you so much for these extensive updates . . . your efforts are much appreciated! :tsu:

So, now we know why Chris Sr was not in bed. It's interesting that when this case was first reported so many people thought it was about drugs and I guess they played a big part in the horror. If just about everyone concerned was using drugs I don't think any of them had much of a grip on reality. Even now, I find it hard to accept that the whole Wagner family thought the best way to get custody of a child was to murder 8 of her family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Susie, thank you so much for these extensive updates . . . your efforts are much appreciated! :tsu:

So, now we know why Chris Sr was not in bed. It's interesting that when this case was first reported so many people thought it was about drugs and I guess they played a big part in the horror. If just about everyone concerned was using drugs I don't think any of them had much of a grip on reality. Even now, I find it hard to accept that the whole Wagner family thought the best way to get custody of a child was to murder 8 of her family. 

It's so bewildering to hear that the Wagners actually voted and decided Hannah Rhoden's whole family and anyone with them had to die because they wanted sole custody of a little girl. I don't think I'll ever forget this case. I'll watch for the trials and see if anymore questions about how and why this happened get answered. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Just saw this on Court TV. I think it may be televised. George Wagner IV's trial will begin with opening statements on Monday. Jake and the mother, Angela are expected to testify. Angela made a deal and will serve 30 years for her role.

I did find this link.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/what-you-need-to-know-about-rhoden-gilley-murders-as-george-wagner-iv-trial-begins/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm watching George IV's trial on Court TV. It started yesterday but this is the first I've seen it. Sadly I missed Bobby Jo's and James Manley's testimony. Some is described in the links in the following posts. A former sheriff's office official is on the stand now. He's describing the scene at Dana's trailer. 

They said the Wagners decided to kill Hannah and then thought the other Rhodens would retaliate, so they killed them all.

https://news.yahoo.com/first-witnesses-stand-pike-county-225409853.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Here's some videos of the testimony.

An hour of his testimony.

• Thanks 1

The jury viewed the crime scenes but not the trailers. I wonder what happened to them?

• Like 1

I'm messing up these videos. Sorry. This is from Court TV. Here is James' testimony. He consented to being televised and videoed. 

This is Court TV discussing the trial.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2