Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'First-night effect' sees brain staying alert

UM-Bot

Scientists have found that half your brain stays alert when you try to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings.

Have you ever had difficulty getting a good night's sleep in a hotel or some other unfamiliar place ? According to new research by scientists at Brown University, this is actually a common defensive behavior that humans share with numerous other species including birds and sea mammals.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...n-staying-alert

• Like 2

Have you ever had difficulty getting a good night's sleep in a hotel or some other unfamiliar place ?

Yes! always, and it doesn't matter for what reason I'm sleeping away from home, it happens every time with me. I'm fine the following nights, it's just the first night I can't sleep properly.

Interesting article, I didn't know it wasn't exclusive to humans either.

• Like 1

that happens to me too. i remember being in a friends house once and his mother was about to live early in the morning and before she was out of the door i stood up and said to her good morning.my reaction was to fast for me to even understand i was doing it. after a few seconds i realised what i was doing. that happens to houses i've slept before too. i'm always half asleep.there are some people tho that doesn't matter where they are, they will snore and don't wake up even if you were breaking plates next to their ears.

• Like 1

Wonder if it correlates to lucid dreams, making it easier. I haven't noticed whether i have more lucid dreams while away or not, but i'll start paying attention.

Wow, so our primitive animal minds keep us half awake in case a lion or cave bear or another humanoid might attack. I snore very loudly and it seems like evolution would have eliminated snorers like me millions of years ago because we announce to any/all predators where we are.

I never get a good nights sleep, no matter where I am

Bet that's why I get sleep paralysis every time I camp out.

Genetics really are an amazing thing.

So based on this, never try to sneak into someone's hotel room the first night they are there and try to kill them. Wait a few days to see if they sleep better or just following them home and do it there. :innocent::whistle:

I'm the opposite. I sleep better at new/unfamiliar places. Anyway sometimes I do have this feeling. Feels like u sleep but u din sleep. U end up waking up wondering if u did sleep..