Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sheepdog 'makes 240 mile trip to former home'

Still Waters

A sheepdog originally from a farm in Ceredigion appears to have made the 240-mile solo journey back to its birthplace from its new home in Cumbria.

Pero, a four-year-old working sheepdog, escaped from Cockermouth on April 8 only to reappear on the doorstep of Alan and Shan James' Farm near Aberystwyth a fortnight later.

His previous owners have no idea how he found his way back.

They now plan to keep Pero.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-36130437

• Like 9

This doesn't surprise me , My mother gave one of our dogs to a friend that needed companionship . She lives 125 or so miles from us . The dog showed up at our home 2 weeks later,

• Like 7

That's how much a dog loves. I wish people loved back that much.

• Like 5

Our cocker is so loving and is loved so much, I know he would find he way back to us, but we would never ever give him away. He is family.

I wonder if someone is prepared to give their dog away for no real valid reason, (getting fed up picking up their poo or taking it for walks, is no real valid reason) would, if they could give away their own child? I believe some would.

I am really pleased that the family are now keeping him.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

what a nice story, a real unexplained mystery! Cats have been known to make long trips back "home" too.

the coolest part is.. no one has a clue how they manage to do it.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

That's just amazing...

• Like 2

My grandmother told me my grandfather had a dog many years ago in Chicago that was stolen. A few weeks later the dog showed up back at grandpa's house, the dog's feet were bloody from walking. They had no idea how far it had to walk to get back home, but after that it wouldn't let anyone touch its neck. Evidently it had been dragged away with a rope or something around its neck.

• Like 2

Animals are amazing, and also quite witty. But 240 miles in 12 days is an average of 20 miles a day. That's 4 hours a day traveling at 5-6 miles per hour. Not to unimaginable, not to mention; strays live off of trash and pothole water for years let alone a couple weeks. Still amazing, not much of a mystery though. Humans use to do the same thing till 85% of us became lazy bums. Cheers!

• Like 2

Animals are amazing, and also quite witty. But 240 miles in 12 days is an average of 20 miles a day. That's 4 hours a day traveling at 5-6 miles per hour. Not to unimaginable, not to mention; strays live off of trash and pothole water for years let alone a couple weeks. Still amazing, not much of a mystery though. Humans use to do the same thing till 85% of us became lazy bums. Cheers!

Lazy Bum part sums me up perfectly.Cheers!

• Like 1

i think the amazing part is how they know which way to go... not how far they go?

• Like 1

Not the first time this kind of thing happens, and not the last

i think the amazing part is how they know which way to go... not how far they go?

Agreed... How the heck do pets sometimes find their way back home after long distances (othertimes they, different dogs, seem unable)

Maybe its the occasional car ride and dang good memory.

who knows how the heck they do it pallidin. There have been many cases where the pet traveled hundreds of miles over long periods of time... over country they had never been in! they just seem to know which way to go.

• Like 1

I know a family that moved 5 miles away from their former home and took their pet cat with them but the cat went back to the former home and lived with the new occupants.

• Like 3

who knows how the heck they do it pallidin. There have been many cases where the pet traveled hundreds of miles over long periods of time... over country they had never been in! they just seem to know which way to go.

Dogs are very smart (much smarter than we realize). They have an incredible sense of direction and what I call 'mapping memory'. Dogs know where they live and who they want to live with....it's just that simple really.

• Like 2

Agreed... How the heck do pets sometimes find their way back home after long distances (othertimes they, different dogs, seem unable)

Maybe its the occasional car ride and dang good memory.

Border Collies are pretty smart. They seem to have ADD but when necessary they show intelligence. Many years ago I was out with my Britney. in a field. She saw a rabbit and did what any good retriever does, she tried to catch it. The grass was so high I could see where she went. About a half an hour later she came back. Not 126 mi by no stretch of the imagination, but still shows how good the tracking instinct are.
  • Like 1

This would be truly amazing... if it were true.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing how many miles this dog hitch-hiked,

or how many car-jackings he carried out along the way.

I have one of these cow dogs ( Border Collie). I bought her from a Rancher friend here close by. He usually sells the whole litter to a guy who trains them to herd cattle.

She's not only the smartest dog I've ever owned, but the sweetest dog I've ever owned. She's loved very much by the family.