Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New risk report warns of future catastrophes

UM-Bot

Scientists have warned that world governments are not doing enough to prepare for disaster scenarios.

In a new report entitled 'Global Catastrophic Risks', researchers at Oxford University have outlined the biggest threats to mankind, each with the potential to kill more than 10% of the population.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/293994/new-risk-report-warns-of-future-catastrophes

• Like 1

Speaking frankly, I know there's nothing we can do about the "SuperVolcano", such as one that is supposed to be (and probably is) under Yellowstone National Park. Just try to get VERY far away from it if something begins to stir. Even then, ash and a form of fallout could mess up North America for quite a while. I mean QUITE a while.

Whoopee, we're all going to die. So what else is new?

http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/gcr-report.pdf Here's the (PDF) report from 2008. This is the only one I could find, so it may the one the article's referring to, even if it's eight years late. Interestingly, the median chance of human extinction by 2100 is reported at 19%. It's very informal, though; it's basically asking a bunch of conference attendees, "What's the biggest threat in the next 100 years and how many people will it kill?"

Too be honest, we all know that the current human population would be unsustainable and most likely Governments would hide in their little bunkers until the big dying was over.

• Like 1

So I cant help but wonder if Trump becoming president is on that list

So I cant help but wonder if Trump becoming president is on that list

• Like 1

Folks, the Lord did not give you a spirit of fear! Everything will be fine if you are saved! Jesus will return before any of these disasters happen to gather up his sheep and transport them to their heavenly eternal home!

When people make such risk reports they seem to only look at one side of the picture and don't seem to consider that as risk increases, technology also improves so there will be a point where technological advancement would resolve the risk without catastrophe.

I tend to agree with BASSOON. At last the US government would not let on anything was coming (if they knew in advance). It already seems they are trying to thin the herd. If a catastrophic event happened that would be their green light in try to insert the one world government they so seem to want. I Love my country, but hate the people that run it.

What I don't understand is... why would a town or city be remade underneath a volcano, especially when that same volcano erupted and destroyed that town/city

Folks, the Lord did not give you a spirit of fear! Everything will be fine if you are saved! Jesus will return before any of these disasters happen to gather up his sheep and transport them to their heavenly eternal home!

Really, that may just solve the problem right there. ;) We Pagans will, at last, be able dance naked on the beach under the full moon.

Hippy flowers and peace, y'all.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is... why would a town or city be remade underneath a volcano, especially when that same volcano erupted and destroyed that town/city

The soil around volcanos is very rich and grows great crops. Farmers and workers need a place near their crops. I guess they figure it is worth the risk.

Really, that may just solve the problem right there. ;) We Pagans will, at last, be able dance naked on the beach under the full moon.

Not so fast mister! Some of us don't believe Jesus is coming back. Some of us believe he's been here all along and he wants you to keep your pants on.

Here Here. According to a recent study, I look better with my clothes off!

Source: Living room.

Sample size: 1.

Margin of error +-1.

• Like 1

Not so fast mister! Some of us don't believe Jesus is coming back. Some of us believe he's been here all along and he wants you to keep your pants on.

Tell him he is going to have to come to beach tell me that himself. Otherwise I am going to just keep dancing. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Those things aren't imminent. So, I would say, if the Yellowstone caldera explodes I ain't gonna be calling them about it and saying "Why didn't you warn me!?"