Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living 1000 years? Immortality nearly here?

DieChecker

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/665807/KEY-TO-ETERNAL-LIFE-Someone-already-born-will-live-to-1-000-and-immortality-IS-possible

Dr Aubrey de Grey believes people who have already been born could live for ten centuries because of ongoing research being done into "repairing the effects of ageing."

He hopes to ultimately create preventative treatments that mean humans would be able to consistently re-repair and live as long as 1,000 years or possible even forever.

Myself, I'd like to live forever. Or at least as long as the end of the world... Judgement Day. There is so much to do that I cannot really see getting bored. The key will be if we can remain active all that time. There isn't any point in being immortal if you become incapacitated before reaching 100.

• Like 5

Just think of the boon it would be for cosmetic surgery. As we age our ears and nose get bigger. After all who would want to look like a troll whether they are one or not. :no:

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 4

Sounds like an excuse to raise the retirement age to me.

• Like 9

Here is something to consider, before deciding inmortality.

Here you will linger on in the darkness and in doubt as night falling winter has come without a star.

Here you will dwell bound to your grief under the fading trees until al the world has changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent.

• Like 3

Might be good if you had wealth to support you that long, otherwise itd be a bummer to be poor that long, or working till you're 900

• Like 3

We already have an overpopulation problem. If we started to live longer just think how fast earth would fill up with humans.

• Like 6

Here you will linger on in the darkness and in doubt as night falling winter has come without a star.

Here you will dwell bound to your grief under the fading trees until al the world has changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent.

I've never been much subject to grief. :tu:

"possibly forever".....sure, sure......

We'll need space ships if this comes true. Exporting people will be the only way to keep the planet at a sustainable level.

• Like 1

I have died everyday, waiting for you

Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years

I'll love you for a thousand more

Edited by DieChecker

Kudos for the Lord of the Rings reference :tu:

The secret of immortality are exist.

Your immortality are exist in your head.

To live forever, you must correctly answer two questions:

1. When you say "I'm ...." what you mean? You and your body are one and the same?

2. When you say "I exist!" what you mean? Word "exist" that means to you?

Immortality sounds good in theory. In practice it would probably be a nightmare.

If it was commonly available, you'd basically have to ban reproduction... a world without children?

What would most likely happen is that it would be exclusively available to a powerful elite, who want to rule the world forever. Hmm... I'm sensing a plot for a dystopian sci-fi novel!

• Like 3

Maybe the increase in murders over sun-loungers and park benches would even out the overpopulation thing.

The likelihood of being killed or crippled in an accident would increase dramatically in a 1000 year lifetime, wouldn't it?

That means 90 billions more people on Earth. Just wow, how much cattle are needed to be killed?

• Like 2

Consider this scenario. The therapy to live 1000 years exists, but it costs $100 million. A new category of human could arise and the other 99.9% of us would become slaves.

Maybe we'll all become Highlanders - There can be only 1!

I've never been much subject to grief. :tu:

All that means is it's waitin' for ya.

Harte

If people start living forever soon ... I imagine that the world itself would figuratively buckle and collapse from that kind of strain.

Imagine all the grain and the byproducts and what not. That's just the beginning.

The secret of immortality are exist.

Your immortality are exist in your head.

To live forever, you must correctly answer two questions:

1. When you say "I'm ...." what you mean? You and your body are one and the same?

2. When you say "I exist!" what you mean? Word "exist" that means to you?

You need to add more tobacco, too much philosophy weed lolololololololol

If only teeth would last so long.... Im middle aged and already have probs with my chompers..... Id hate to live so long.... avoiding certain foods...

If only teeth would last so long.... Im middle aged and already have probs with my chompers..... Id hate to live so long.... avoiding certain foods...

Don't panic, seeder. In the future, you could be in absolutely perfect health for FOREVER and be age reversed to say, age 25 physiologically (if you desire) by simply having millions of nanobots permanently residing inside your body which can repair any/all cellular or tissue or organ damage in seconds and even enhance your mental abilities to super-genius levels. If a car hits you, the nanobots will immediately go to work repairing all physical damage and keep you alive. They could also regenerate your teeth completely.

You would be just like Wolverine...

Edited by Infernal Gnu
  • Like 2