Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's 6-foot-tall robot to help astronauts

seeder

NASA built a 6-foot-tall robot to help astronauts

Space missions can be dangerous for humans. Risks include ship malfunctions and space radiation that can cause cancer. Plus, spending months up in space can be psychologically taxing for astronauts and costly for NASA.

In the distant future, NASA may instead send up something like Valkyrie, a 6-foot, 300-pound humanoid that can help astronauts perform tasks that are too dangerous.

Designed by engineers at the NASA Johnson Space Center, the robot prototype can walk, climb, balance on one foot, and navigate a room. Using its 200 sensors (including 38 on each hand) and four body cameras, it can sense surroundings in real-time.

It can also turn a valve and use a hand drill, Valkyrie's project manager, Kris Verdeyen, tells Tech Insider.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/mit-built-a-robotic-astronaut-to-go-to-space-2016-4?r=US&IR=T

• Like 2

I don't know, they seem to put a lot of time and money into making robots that look like humans. Do they really need to be bipeds to perform their function?

• Like 1

I don't know, they seem to put a lot of time and money into making robots that look like humans. Do they really need to be bipeds to perform their function?

If that function is tending to equipment made for humans then it makes a lot of sense to design a robot that is best able to interact with that equipment, and that means a human like robot.

• Like 2

If that function is tending to equipment made for humans then it makes a lot of sense to design a robot that is best able to interact with that equipment, and that means a human like robot.

At least give it more arms or something!

• Like 2

I wonder if our robot will ask to take the Chinese female robot with him for company?

• Like 1

NASA Marketing crap again

Aside from the - still 'need' to be bipedal - ... whats with all those angled human head head positions imitating some type of facial expression . That will be real important out on Mars building a habitat .

But will people be happy to fund a robotic cube with wheels to go to Mars ? I think not . The only reason a human was proposed to go was for the 'human interest' ( = funding) ...... but that is totally unrealistic and there is nothing a 'robot' cannot do there that a human will do better ... actually, sending humans creates massive problems.

I wonder if 'Mars robot' will still have all those matt black control arms sticking out of his back when he arrives there :-*

Edited by back to earth

Why does it not make sense to some people of the concept of human like robots on other planets? If this actually works, and the designs gets better and function better, these bi-pedal robots will be able to function and get around much more effective than say, "a cube on wheels"!

It makes perfect sense to me and i hope to see this lead to better, and more effective designs in the future. These robots could have the potential to climb hills, go up very steep and rugged terrain, and get to areas otherwise inaccessible to our rovers. And if one breaks down, he'll have some friends to go fix him and bring him home.

• Like 1

Why does it not make sense to some people of the concept of human like robots on other planets? If this actually works, and the designs gets better and function better, these bi-pedal robots will be able to function and get around much more effective than say, "a cube on wheels"!

It makes perfect sense to me and i hope to see this lead to better, and more effective designs in the future. These robots could have the potential to climb hills, go up very steep and rugged terrain, and get to areas otherwise inaccessible to our rovers. And if one breaks down, he'll have some friends to go fix him and bring him home.

ASIMO..... the Japanese humanoid robot, seems way ahead of NASA's..... look on youtube for many ASIMO vids...

heres just one

• Like 1

OK ONE more from me seeing as its my fave robot ever, and probably the BEST in the world

And NOT 6ft tall...(and its not a man in a costume either) :lol:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Right on. Yeah i think NASA could do much better, and i believe they eventually will. ASIMO is pretty awesome IMO, and they put a lot of work into it. I can't even begin to imagine how human like robots will evolve over the next few decades.

• Like 1

the ASIMO vids arent even recent.... thats why I suggested you have a look on the tube...but robots will no doubt....blend in....one day

• Like 1

the ASIMO vids arent even recent.... thats why I suggested you have a look on the tube...but robots will no doubt....blend in....one day

Oh yeah, i have seen most of them. I'd like to have some faith in NASA, but sometimes i feel they put off technological advancements for funding purposes. They could do much better.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 1

Looks like a Power Ranger!

Interesting to speculate as to whether we can or even wish to live through avatars.

Crazy to think that we're the ones sending robots in to space. We advanced species nao