Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of ancient Nazca spiral wells solved

UM-Bot

Researchers have managed to solve two mysteries pertaining to Peru's enigmatic Nazca civilization.

Best known for creating the mysterious Nazca Lines, the ancient people of the Nazca culture have also been attributed with the construction of an impressive system of underground canals as well as a series of unusual spiral-shaped wells that bore deep in to the soil.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/294202/mystery-of-ancient-nazca-spiral-wells-solved

• Like 5

Yes it is. I find the "weasel wording" of the article interesting as well. First the article says the mystery is solved and then the proof is explained by theories. They may be right, but it still sounds like they're guessing to me.

• Like 2

Yes it is. I find the "weasel wording" of the article interesting as well. First the article says the mystery is solved and then the proof is explained by theories. They may be right, but it still sounds like they're guessing to me.

I would agree. The "strong winds" theory doesn't make sense to me.

Looks more like the spiral was constructed to more easily get down to the well. Also, rainwater could more effectively drain into the well.

Probably a dumb question, but if this is the case, why isn't it retrieving water now?

@MJNYC Perhaps for the same reason the Band of Holes isn't catching water now? I have a theory that the Band of holes was designed to catch and channel snow/melt water down to the plains below. If there was seasonal snowfall due to a temporary climactic shift in the past I'm sure the people there would make an effort to ensure they got the most water out of it.

• Like 1

In addition to making the water easier to get to, the spiral form of the wells allowed the retaining walls to be braced by the earth they were leaning back against, giving them some resistance to damage in an earthquake, and limiting any damage to the part of the wall between the upper and lower sections of the path at that point. And if they were damaged, the stones would spill onto the pathway instead of all falling into a deep, narrow well bore. Lots easier to repair.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 2

In addition to making the water easier to get to, the spiral form of the wells allowed the retaining walls to be braced by the earth they were leaning back against, giving them some resistance to damage in an earthquake, and limiting any damage to the part of the wall between the upper and lower sections of the path at that point. And if they were damaged, the stones would spill onto the pathway instead of all falling into a deep, narrow well bore. Lots easier to repair.

That makes sense to me. The area commonly has earthquakes and a wide spiral structure like this would resist caving in much better then traditional column shaped wells.

• Like 1

Probably a dumb question, but if this is the case, why isn't it retrieving water now?

Out of 36 Puquios, most are still functioning

- Barnes, Monica (10 September 1992), Nature 359

• Like 2

My opinion is that the wind theory is a BS.

My opinion is that the spiral wells are made for two major reasons.

- Having bigger surface area they can catch rain water.

- Farm animals will have a easy access to the water and they can return back without any problem. I think this is one of the biggest reason if you ask me.

• Like 2

My opinion is that the wind theory is a BS.

My opinion is that the spiral wells are made for two major reasons.

- Having bigger surface area they can catch rain water.

- Farm animals will have a easy access to the water and they can return back without any problem. I think this is one of the biggest reason if you ask me.

Exactly, although I would add people access as well...

Where is the evidence that such spirals would do anything useful with winds? Air does not speed up when it is deflected to turn thru circles (that's most certainly NOT what causes tornado wind strength) - it needs a pressure differential.. perhaps there is one but without knowing a lot more and seeing their modelling and testing results..? I note there is no cite for this 'paper', and indeed they say it will be published at some 'journal' as a hypothesis. As a what? A hypothesis does NOT solve anything, it's just a guess that needs to be properly researched, and that clearly hasn't been done. What's more, the journal named does not appear to exist and seems to be a fabrication by the author... Happy to be corrected on that, but Google Scholar has not a single reference to it...

Edited by ChrLzs

I doubt that they would have allowed their livestock to drink from the well,as animals have a tendency to relieve themselves and contamination would be a problem.I don't know how many of you have been to a ranch that has a river running through it,but, where the livestock go to the water to drink usually has copious amounts of feces and urine.

jmccr8

• Like 1