Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stairwell evp

Benfornow

I recorded this on May 7th around 9 pm at the place I'm renting, a house built in 1940. I've done some other recordings here and gotten some knocks and what sounds like faded whispers. This particular clip on the other hand is quite audible at least to my ears and seems hard to pass off as case of pareidolia.

I was in the next room reading during the recording and I didn't hear anything. I recorded for about an hour. In this clip you can hear the ticking of the clock, several knocks and discernible words. The knocks and voices began and ended after a gurgling/rolling sound which can be heard towards the end of the clip. I tend to hear that sound randomly whenever I try get evp recordings with my handycam. Can anyone can identify that sound as being caused from the internal circuits of the camera?

May7th.mp3

I hear a cat.

• Like 1

I see Ben has not returned, so I take it we have identified the culprit?

d3e9fc222c9bd0d12e0ff126acf7df00.jpg

• Like 3

It does sound like a cat if the volume is low. However, if the volume is set at a proper level to where the ticking clock can be heard then is no way anyone can honestly confuse that for a cat.

It does sound like a cat if the volume is low. However, if the volume is set at a proper level to where the ticking clock can be heard then is no way anyone can honestly confuse that for a cat.

I have the volume up as much as I can and I still hear a cat. smileys-confused-917847.gif

I had a cat sounded like she said "Hello" and "Mama".

• Like 1

Do you have a cat around the house?

I have the volume up as much as I can and I still hear a cat. smileys-confused-917847.gif

Then your not being honest. If I post the same clip on any random site, without mentioning evp, and ask people to describe what is being heard. I would bet there would be no mention of cat and most would be able to identify the words.

I listen to the evp before reading replies. It sounds like a cat.

I listen to the evp before reading replies.

The fact that you are defending an accusation that hasn't been made is suggestive of guilt.

I'm pretty sure it said "race 5, horse 2"

Then your not being honest. If I post the same clip on any random site, without mentioning evp, and ask people to describe what is being heard. I would bet there would be no mention of cat and most would be able to identify the words.

For real? I am being completely honest. How can you possibly say that?

Nothing more I can add, so best you post it on a random site.........post it just like you have done on here ....bet people will say it sounds like a cat. :tu:

• Like 1

Do you have a cat around the house?

I second this.. do you have a cat around the house, or other pets?

I also hear a cat.

I second this.. do you have a cat around the house, or other pets?

No.

I posted the clip on another site and just as I suspected no mention of cat. All agreed the clip sounded human.

As I said, if anyone is honest there is no way to mistake the sound of a human in the clip for a cat and the link proves my claim. The problem here most members will always go with path of least resistance if even it means being dishonest and that makes it difficult to get answers and have a discussion.

Can someone please explain to me all of the following:

• WHY would a video camera record something that a person couldn't/didn't hear, given that they are tuned specifically to the same audio range as the human ear (actually, a bit less)...?
  • If this was somehow done in the electronics of the camera, why does it always manifest exactly as normal, very low-level background sounds do? Why not louder or clearer, or as tones (morse code, p'raps)?
  • If this is supposed to be a spirit, WHY would 'they' use this method, and how did they first discover their ability?
  • If this is supposed to be a spirit, WHY are they so absolutely awful at it, such that the recordings are always of such abysmal quality and are so unclear that they have to be argued over (at UM, at least..)? Surely some of them would have better abilities than others, so why isn't there one GOOD one, properly documented?
  • If this is supposed to be a spirit, isn't it 'proper' to NOT invoke something (eg a spirit..) for which there is no prior proof or evidence, in order to explain something which (to me (and most of UM, it appears) seems completely mundane and explainable anyway?
  • HOW are these 'sounds' being properly analysed to rule out pareidolia? (Any credible study would be fine)
  • WHAT controls are being used to monitor the environment (including nearby TV's, radios, phones, passing puddytats...)?

Oh, and one more that is the most puzzling of all...

WHY does someone who tells everyone at a forum they are liars, post their 'wares' at that very forum..., given it seems he can get the results he desperately wants somewhere else?

Why doesn't he just dang-well GO (and please stay) there?

• Like 1

I posted the clip on another site and just as I suspected no mention of cat. All agreed the clip sounded human.

As I said, if anyone is honest there is no way to mistake the sound of a human in the clip for a cat and the link proves my claim. The problem here most members will always go with path of least resistance if even it means being dishonest and that makes it difficult to get answers and have a discussion.

That's part of the problem with pareidolia- people can hear different things. Just like with clouds in the sky people can see different things. In this instance, some people might hear a cat, others might hear a human- if you shop your clip around enough you will likely get other responses as well. You might even get a person or few that think it sounds like a mechanical/camera noise, like you were asking about in your OP.

I don't think anyone here is being dishonest or lying, and it's rather rude of you to keep saying that. So please, desist from doing so.

• Like 1

WHY does someone who tells everyone at a forum they are liars, post their 'wares' at that very forum..., given it seems he can get the results he desperately wants somewhere else?

Because there are some knowledgeable members here who able to give good explanations.

That's part of the problem with pareidolia- people can hear different things.

Yes, but they didn't hear different things did they? Once there was no mention of evp, all heard the same thing which implies no pareidolia.

You seem really invested in having people agree with you. People here are giving their honest opinion.

• Like 1

Yes, but they didn't hear different things did they? Once there was no mention of evp, all heard the same thing which implies no pareidolia.

You got three answers there, and within the day you called the thread case closed.... and all three were joking. Bigfoot, wild humans or wild humans crossed with neanderthals. They were poking fun at you.

If you had posted this clip in the crypto section here, and asked, hey, what do you hear? It would be likely you might have gotten a few bigfoot/wild human/wild human+neanderthal kinds of answers... and probably a few other animal responses as well. A lot of them would likely be more joking than serious as well, especially if you only waited for the first three replied before calling it case closed.

As it is.. you posted it here.. and most people are hearing a cat.

Edited by rashore

Just for the record, I'm torn between a cat and a child. The level of the 'voice/meow' is so far down into the background level of hiss that no amount of 'expertise' is going to be able to identify it for sure. To make matters worse, the device is obviously using ALC (AGC if you prefer) and you can hear it ramping the gain right up - either it was only just switched on, or some other loud noise occurred just before the recording began...

I just don't get EVP's - in this case why would anyone set up a recorder and then listen to what it gets, having spent that time in another room thus having no idea what things it might be picking up, and then be surprised to hear the odd bump or distant voice..?