Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stairwell evp

Benfornow

You got three answers there, and within the day you called the thread case closed.... and all three were joking.

Bigfoot, wild humans or wild humans crossed with neanderthals. They were poking fun at you.

Yes only because they were expecting some exotic sounding animal. When they heard what what was an obvious voice of human they probably thought I was trolling and added some silly remarks. The fact is 3/3 they gave the same answer, so no case of pareidolia.

Yes only because they were expecting some exotic sounding animal. When they heard what what was an obvious voice of human they probably thought I was trolling and added some silly remarks. The fact is 3/3 they gave the same answer, so no case of pareidolia.

Yes, I mean it would be completely impossible that they were offering their genuine opinion... :rolleyes::td:

Just for the record, I'm torn between a cat and a child.

Why didn't you share that opinion before I posted the results from the zoosite?

I just don't get EVP's - in this case why would anyone set up a recorder and then listen to what it gets, having spent that time in another room thus having no idea what things it might be picking up, and then be surprised to hear the odd bump or distant voice..?
I was probably 15 feet away, in the next room reading, don't you think it would be a bit difficult not to hear a sound such was in clip?

Yes, I mean it would be completely impossible that they were offering their genuine opinion... :rolleyes::td:

So you believe that everyone here that said cat gave a genuine opinion but on that zoosite they disingenuous. Explain your line of reasoning for that.

So you believe that everyone here that said cat gave a genuine opinion but on that zoosite they disingenuous. Explain your line of reasoning for that.
[

I said nothing of the kind. I pointed out that YOU ruled out a possibility and that is close-minded... I said absolutely nothing about what happens at some other website, nor will I be clicking on it to investigate. You could simply be sockpuppeting over there, or simply being being trolled/patronised/made a joke of. Here, I recognise those who have responded, and they have, over the ages, shown themselves to be sensible and fair posters.... evun if I aint..

So I, unlike you, have some respect for opinions gven by the valuable cadre of expertise here at UM. Not only that, I agree with their opinions and have said so.

As for when I decide to offer an opinion, it's a free Interwebz... and I would have thought it was pretty obvious what that opinion was when I posted a little cat picture.. But here it is again, and I'll bold it so you are in no doubt..

It's a cat-like noise, at a very low level such that it is indistinct. Only pareidolia can help you here....

I was probably 15 feet away, in the next room reading, don't you think it would be a bit difficult not to hear a sound such was in clip?

?? Do you seriously not understand what ALC/AGC does?? Can you not hear that the hiss grows very loud compared to the meow/voice as the ALC winds up the amplification probably to maximum? And therefore, the meow/voice was in fact VERY quiet? And would almost certainly NOT be audible from another room?? Those sounds likely wouldn't have been clearly audible even if you were right there, unless your ears were pointed exactly in the direction of the noise..

This really is basic stuff - from Research 101 - Know your equipment and how it works. In this case, I'll bet that the background noise/sensitivity in your recorder is somewhere around 25-30dB, and as the hiss is almost as loud, that would make those sounds about 35-40 dB if you're lucky... And that's very quiet - pretty much the same level as a whisper, just audible.... (someone with a better knowledge of audio may wish to correct my figures slightly - I'm rusty..)

And of course cat-like noises can be made by children (and adults..).

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

I said nothing of the kind.

Your quote suggests otherwise:

Either you feel they were genuine or not, which is it?
I pointed out that YOU ruled out a possibility and that is close-minded.
Yet somehow your not closed minded for ruling out a possibility.
I said absolutely nothing about what happens at some other website, nor will I be clicking on it to investigate. You could simply be sockpuppeting over there, or simply being being trolled/patronised/made a joke of.
You are rehashing what I already said:

Yes only because they were expecting some exotic sounding animal. When they heard what what was an obvious voice of human they probably thought I was trolling and added some silly remarks.

To suggest I was sockpuppeting is beyond grasping for straws.
So I, unlike you, have some respect for opinions gven by the valuable cadre of expertise here at UM.
Do you understand what this implies:

Because there are some knowledgeable members here who able to give good explanations.

Do you seriously not understand what ALC/AGC does?
Honestly, I don't. I would bet that neither do you based on your reasoning here:

And therefore, the meow/voice was in fact VERY quiet? And would almost certainly NOT be audible from another room??

Those sounds likely wouldn't have been clearly audible even if you were right there, unless your ears were pointed exactly in the direction of the noise..

Wrong. I can easily hear the clock ticking from the other room. In the clip, you can clearly hear the clock ticking and the voice is definitely louder than the ticking sound. Clearly you not as knowledgeable in audio as you wish to suggest.

Ben, I rule out NON-proven, NON-evidenced possibilities IF there are other satisfactory existing explanations. *You* should try that sometime instead of leaping to silly conclusions.

As for the rest of that post..... why don't you post your waveform analysis and tell us the dB readings? I see you still haven't managed to understand what ALC does.

It's like trying to explain relativity to a caterpillar.

• Like 1

Ben, I rule out NON-proven, NON-evidenced possibilities IF there are other satisfactory existing explanations. *You* should try that sometime instead of leaping to silly conclusions.

As for the rest of that post..... why don't you post your waveform analysis and tell us the dB readings? I see you still haven't managed to understand what ALC does.

It's like trying to explain relativity to a caterpillar.

You can't support your points so you resort to insult. I knew that was coming. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I want to hear the clip but it is not showing up for me, how do you find it?

On 6/2/2016 at 10:13 AM, Nnicolette said:

I want to hear the clip but it is not showing up for me, how do you find it?

That is odd. I suspect the new update may have something to do with that because mp3 is not an accepted file type now. In an extreme measure you could signup up on the auxiliary site where it is still active and have a listen. 

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 2:01 AM, Benfornow said:

I posted the clip on another site and just as I suspected no mention of cat. All agreed the clip sounded human.

Ben, Is this a joke?

This Is what they said:

OMG IS THE BIGFOOT RUN TO THE MOUNTAINS (or out of the mountais) Sounds like the wild Homo sapiens.I agree it sounds like a Homo sapiens sapiens, perhaps with a bit of neanderthalensis mixed in  

• Like 2

On 6/3/2016 at 4:30 PM, freetoroam said:

Ben, Is this a joke?

No. Do you not understand what a Homo sapiens implies? 

On 5/16/2016 at 8:54 PM, Benfornow said:

When they heard what what was an obvious voice of human they probably thought I was trolling and added some silly remarks. 

Did anyone mention cat? Of course not. I bet I could upload the same clip, but ask what was being said and have replies that state the same words. One member already confirmed some of the exact words but asked to remain confidential and that proves my earlier point most member's will not go against the grain of opinion. 

17 hours ago, Benfornow said:

No. Do you not understand what a Homo sapiens implies? 

Did anyone mention cat? Of course not. I bet I could upload the same clip, but ask what was being said and have replies that state the same words. One member already confirmed some of the exact words but asked to remain confidential and that proves my earlier point most member's will not go against the grain of opinion. 

Ben,  think the replies you received, all 3 of them, has a touch of sarcasm....hence the tongue sticking out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Ben,  think the replies you received, all 3 of them, has a touch of sarcasm....hence the tongue sticking out. 

Look at my previous post, read the older quote slowly. If the point still eludes you then I can only assume that you're being argumentative. 

5 hours ago, Benfornow said:

Look at my previous post, read the older quote slowly. If the point still eludes you then I can only assume that you're being argumentative. 

Ben, on the other site you only have 3 replies. The replies you received really do seem as if the posters are jesting. Big foot? wild homo sapiens/ neanderthal? smilie sticking its tongue out? are you saying you believe this indicates they believe it is a spirit of some sort. They would have been better off saying it was a cat...if their replies were not extracting the urine.

I am not being argumentative, not at all. You have asked for an opinion, we have given it, you are not accepting it. You can not surely base your opinion on the hat the posters on the other site have said....do you think it could be bigfoot?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Ben, on the other site you only have 3 replies. The replies you received really do seem as if the posters are jesting. Big foot? wild homo sapiens/ neanderthal? smilie sticking its tongue out?  They would have been better off saying it was a cat.

Nitpick all you want but my claim held while yours fell flat:  

On 5/15/2016 at 5:42 AM, freetoroam said:

Nothing more I can add, so best you post it on a random site.........post it just like you have done on here ....bet people will say it sounds like a cat. 

Are you more upset that your EVP probably isn't paranormal or that people think its a cat?

2 hours ago, mr3rdrock said:

Are you more upset that your EVP probably isn't paranormal or that people think its a cat?

Neither. I'm amused but not surprised at how strong the deny is here. Only here does the clip sound like a cat and everywhere else a human that is truly paranormal in nature. :P    

4 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

Neither. I'm amused but not surprised at how strong the deny is here. Only here does the clip sound like a cat and everywhere else a human that is truly paranormal in nature. :P    

The only other place you shown that you posted it had three obviously troll responses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr3rdrock said:

The only other place you shown that you posted it had three obviously troll responses.

By your own admission any view that supports my opinion can only be an 'obvious troll response' proves the level of deny. I suppose if I show another site that also supports my opinion then suddenly the deniers will change their minds. I somehow doubt it. I figure I'll only get more silly accusations from deniers like:

On 5/17/2016 at 2:53 AM, ChrLzs said:

You could simply be sockpuppeting over there

I may post the clip to another site to get some more results and more excuses here. Maybe that'll lead to some discussion on the actual phenomenon.   

1 hour ago, Benfornow said:

By your own admission any view that supports my opinion can only be an 'obvious troll response' proves the level of deny. I suppose if I show another site that also supports my opinion then suddenly the deniers will change their minds. I somehow doubt it. I figure I'll only get more silly accusations from deniers like:

I may post the clip to another site to get some more results and more excuses here. Maybe that'll lead to some discussion on the actual phenomenon.   

Alright dude, I'm out of this thread. From the very start of the thread you've only wanted to hear from people who agree with you and will say "YES IT IS PARANORMAL IT HAS TO BE THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION!!!!!!".

My own admission says that those THREE responses were troll responses, it has nothing to do with me denying anything. It was painfully obvious to anyone on the outside looking in that those were troll responses.

Hey man, good luck in believing what you want to believe though,  maybe one day you'll receive the validation you seek.

3rdrock out. PEACE

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mr3rdrock said:

"YES IT IS PARANORMAL IT HAS TO BE THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION!!!!!!".

First there's no need to get upset and shout.

Second I never said that this particular phenomenon is necessarily paranormal. The member I referenced who asked to remain confidential, heard exactly what I did. Yet we disagreed on the nature of the sound. They thought it was spirit based. I disagreed. I referred to my cousin who works with as photographer for a railroad magazine. He also from time to time works on outfit that makes railroad related videos and recordings. Now there are certain locations where they do test recordings and  the faint rumble of a train can be heard even when the scanners shows no train for over 30 miles. They have access to much better equipment than what I typically use.  The member I referred to, noted that the evps usually had a distinct knocking sound. Is the train rumble caused by spirits. I highly doubt it. 

My own admission says that those THREE responses were troll responses, it has nothing to do with me denying anything. 

That site deals with animals. How unlikely is it for them to choose to 'troll' from all the kinds of animals on Earth and they choose the unlikely and only one that supports my opinion. To claim it has nothing to do with denying :lol:     

Hey man, good luck in believing what you want to believe though,  maybe one day you'll receive the validation you seek.

I already received it. You were just blinded by your deny and called them troll responses, remember? Funny thing, you didn't even post your opinion that the clip was a cat. so I'm not sure why you even care. Again I don't think the phenomenon is necessarily paranormal and that's a good place to start this discussion on.