Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human head transplant still moving forward

UM-Bot

The controversial surgical procedure is set to take place at a facility in China as early as next year.

The surgeon who will be performing the procedure, Dr Sergio Canavero, maintains that, despite limited success during animal testing, transplanting someone's head on to a new body is not only possible but could offer patients with debilitating illnesses a whole new lease of life.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-moving-forward

• Like 1

Nothing good I can see can or will comes from this ....

~

~

• Like 1

Whoa... tricky.

As was noted in the article, the main hurdle(s) in this are the successful spinal nerves and vascular connections to the head.

Of course, such general issues have always been a medical challenge for transplantation (vital organs) or "re-connection" (arm, fingers, leg, etc.)

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Have they found a way to connect the spinal columns yet? And if so, I wonder how the brains will interpret what appear to be completely foreign signals they will start receiving?

I have had 3 separate lower back surgeries over the last 17 years, and they can't quite seem to get it right. So I would not bet much on the end results of this transplant being very good.

I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I'm still betting low.

Who's going to be the donor for the body?

Looks like beside organs traffics, now there will be body traffics...

This is the cost of higher technology and to defy nature

Those who believe in the soul and who believe that the soul is spread throughout the body and not contained in the head will have to do some explaining if the procedure is successful.

• Like 1

The patient is Russian.

The neurosurgeon is Italian.

The testing has been done in China on animals....

so that's ok then to test on animals because it is in China? or like everything else it is cheaper over there?

I see it is ok to use animals in testing to...and get this:

Recently, he made the news for pushing cortical brain stimulation in the rehabilitation of criminal psychopaths in place of the death penalty.

http://aanos.org/mee...io-canavero-md/

NO, use those on death row as the guinea pigs instead of innocent animals, and who knows what the Chinese are testing on.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

My suspicion is it has something to do with things such as these ~

Probing the Enigma of Multiple Personality

By DANIEL GOLEMAN

Published: June 28, 1988

WHEN Timmy drinks orange juice he has no problem. But Timmy is just one of close to a dozen personalities who alternate control over a patient with multiple personality disorder. And if those other personalities drink orange juice, the result is a case of hives.

The hives will occur even if Timmy drinks orange juice and another personality appears while the juice is still being digested. What's more, if Timmy comes back while the allergic reaction is present, the itching of the hives will cease immediately, and the water-filled blisters will begin to subside.

• nytimes science link

~

• MOre Scholar Google links

Will be interesting to see the outcome. The initial testing for heart transplants was very unsuccessful on animals also initially, slowly got better but during the second world war when attempting this procedure on soldiers they got it right so who knows. Will be a great leap foward if it works.

If this works, Dr. Canavero will be ahead of his time.

Did you mean......a head of his time? :D

• Like 2

It looks like they are getting closer... the first male brain transplant was performed with success. :P

If this works, Dr. Canavero will be ahead of his time.

If this "works" we need a DNA check of the head and body to see that they don't match.

With nano medicine coming I don't see y this is necessary..

With nano medicine coming I don't see y this is necessary..

I do. Medecine can only fix at the cellular level.

What if you have legs chopped of after an accident? Internal injury

The subject sickens me...To hell with humanity. It's the poor bloody animals I feel sorry for.What's next 'The Man with Two Brains?' or have they got Maos head in a freezer somewhere?

This isn't a heart or a kidney.

I'm wondering what will this man go through mentally because he never had a a fully functional body.........

Will he have phantom sensations, like feeling pain of his previous body? :cry:

Just weird thoughts popping up............

If someone had a head transplant because of a head injury, who would they be?

I see too many possibilities for this to work out well for the patient.

If this procedure becomes available on the NHS, I'd like a new head and a new body.

It still seems that Dr Sergio Canavero is getting a-head of himself if the trials on animals failed. This all seems strangely reminiscent of the second X-Files movie.