Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
stevepeterson

Being awakened by blast of icy cold air

51 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

stevepeterson

For the 5th time this past year, I have been awakened in the middle of the night (1:30am) by a *blast* of icy-cold air to my face.

1.) I sleep alone.

2.) Room is sealed (no open windows, no open vents, no heating, ventilation, or any air circulation).

I've never had any paranormal experiences in my life. I know many people that regularly have weird/unexplained experiences, see ghosts, etc., but my life is boring by comparison.

So, what happens is I am in a deep sleep, and *whoosh* I feel a BLAST of icy cold air on my face. It is not like a cold touch, and it is not like the air in my room is cold, and I awaken to the sensation of naturally cold air. No. Rather, I am startled awake by what feels like a forceful blast of cold air to my face.

For further clarification/analogy, you know when you open your freezer, you are confronted with some icy cold air? Well... it's NOT quite like that, because your freezer's cold air just sits there... and you feel it. Instead, what happens to me, is that I feel an actual BLAST of icy cold air to my face. Like someone blowing hard on my face with ice-air. (Again, I'm all alone in the room, I sleep alone.)

Am I experiencing an entity? A ghost? A poltergeist or mysterious life form? The only "non-paranormal" explanation I can come up with is that on the very rare occasion (once or twice a year), I am aware of sleep-apnea symptoms. Would this "icy blast of cold air" be my brain's way of waking me up so I don't die?

Any thoughts or ideas, no matter how far out or crazy, will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubblykiss

2.) Room is sealed (no open windows, no open vents, no heating, ventilation, or any air circulation).

What, do you rent a solitary confinement chamber in 1843 Pennsylvania?

Just about every room has some form of ventilation.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SecretSanta

"So, what happens is I am in a deep sleep..."

Most people who claim something paranormal is happening to them while they're sleeping (demon touching their feet, whispering, being grabbed, being paralyzed) are actually experiencing something along the lines of sleep paralysis and hypnogagic hallucinations.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Relevant questions and explanations above ^

For further clarification/analogy, you know when you open your freezer, you are confronted with some icy cold air? Well... it's NOT quite like that,

Just picked up on this bit and it made me chuckle, it reminded me when I was a teenager sitting on the "estate" wall in South London where we all met up, a few times people would stop and ask for directions, our answer was always:

"see those traffic lights, you turn left, then straight on, take next right then second left after the roundabout," as they drive off, we say " and its nowhere near there".

Edited by freetoroam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moral75

Hi Steve, I have been experiencing this phenomenon, it only happens in the afternoon, when I have a nap after lunch. The icy cold air that blows on my face makes me jump, and of course wakes me. I am in a living room that is totally enclosed, so find the whole ordeal quite unnerving.

i am responding to a post from 2016, I just found this site after entering my experience in google. Any thoughts on this would be comforting .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EnderOTD

Hello and welcome, Moral75

Hey it’s better than a hot flash.  I apologize.

Dreams are a tough one, and I’m not of the opinion that anyone can interpret them accurately besides oneself.  Nor do I find such occurrences to be paranormal in nature.  I think you’re having an episodic hypnagogic or hypnopampic hallucination of the tactile variety.  A form of sleep paralysis, if you’re keen to try it, it’s a good leaping point to induce a lucid dream, or astral projection for those that believe.  If it freaks you out, maybe a sleep specialist or your variety of holy person.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryleekresl

Hey. Its 450 in the morning and I had the SAME experience. I have been searching online for an explanation but cant seem to find why I had a blast of cold air on me in the middle of the night. Please help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryleekresl
On 5/14/2016 at 5:37 PM, stevepeterson said:

For the 5th time this past year, I have been awakened in the middle of the night (1:30am) by a *blast* of icy-cold air to my face.

1.) I sleep alone.

2.) Room is sealed (no open windows, no open vents, no heating, ventilation, or any air circulation).

I've never had any paranormal experiences in my life. I know many people that regularly have weird/unexplained experiences, see ghosts, etc., but my life is boring by comparison.

So, what happens is I am in a deep sleep, and *whoosh* I feel a BLAST of icy cold air on my face. It is not like a cold touch, and it is not like the air in my room is cold, and I awaken to the sensation of naturally cold air. No. Rather, I am startled awake by what feels like a forceful blast of cold air to my face.

For further clarification/analogy, you know when you open your freezer, you are confronted with some icy cold air? Well... it's NOT quite like that, because your freezer's cold air just sits there... and you feel it. Instead, what happens to me, is that I feel an actual BLAST of icy cold air to my face. Like someone blowing hard on my face with ice-air. (Again, I'm all alone in the room, I sleep alone.)

Am I experiencing an entity? A ghost? A poltergeist or mysterious life form? The only "non-paranormal" explanation I can come up with is that on the very rare occasion (once or twice a year), I am aware of sleep-apnea symptoms. Would this "icy blast of cold air" be my brain's way of waking me up so I don't die?

Any thoughts or ideas, no matter how far out or crazy, will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!!

Have you had any more experiences like that? Have you found an explanation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
7 hours ago, Ryleekresl said:

Hey. Its 450 in the morning and I had the SAME experience. I have been searching online for an explanation but cant seem to find why I had a blast of cold air on me in the middle of the night. Please help.

Are you aware that sudden unexplained cold waves are often associated with paranormal activity as if an entity is drawing energy from the environment leaving a cold spot.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SecretSanta
9 hours ago, Ryleekresl said:

Hey. Its 450 in the morning and I had the SAME experience. I have been searching online for an explanation but cant seem to find why I had a blast of cold air on me in the middle of the night. Please help.

Like I suggested to another poster, hypnopompic hallucinations.

A parasomnia involves undesired events that come along with sleep. Sleep related hallucinationsare imagined events that seem very real. They are mainly visual. They may also involve your senses of sound, touch, taste and smell. They may even involve a sense of motion.
 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321070.php

These can be images, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, or sounds.”

I wake up occasionally smelling food cooking, one time I actually got out of bed at 2 in the morning to make sure no one was cooking.

Edited by SecretSanta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 5/14/2016 at 4:37 PM, stevepeterson said:

For the 5th time this past year, I have been awakened in the middle of the night (1:30am) by a *blast* of icy-cold air to my face.

1.) I sleep alone.

2.) Room is sealed (no open windows, no open vents, no heating, ventilation, or any air circulation).

I've never had any paranormal experiences in my life. I know many people that regularly have weird/unexplained experiences, see ghosts, etc., but my life is boring by comparison.

So, what happens is I am in a deep sleep, and *whoosh* I feel a BLAST of icy cold air on my face. It is not like a cold touch, and it is not like the air in my room is cold, and I awaken to the sensation of naturally cold air. No. Rather, I am startled awake by what feels like a forceful blast of cold air to my face.

For further clarification/analogy, you know when you open your freezer, you are confronted with some icy cold air? Well... it's NOT quite like that, because your freezer's cold air just sits there... and you feel it. Instead, what happens to me, is that I feel an actual BLAST of icy cold air to my face. Like someone blowing hard on my face with ice-air. (Again, I'm all alone in the room, I sleep alone.)

Am I experiencing an entity? A ghost? A poltergeist or mysterious life form? The only "non-paranormal" explanation I can come up with is that on the very rare occasion (once or twice a year), I am aware of sleep-apnea symptoms. Would this "icy blast of cold air" be my brain's way of waking me up so I don't die?

Any thoughts or ideas, no matter how far out or crazy, will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!!

This is something new to me and seems definitely to qualify as unexplained.  Is it possible that you have a breathing problem and your body wakes you up to get you breathing again?  I am not discounting anything including the paranormal, though I tend to want to check the physical possibilities first.  Usually there is a physical explanation, but not always.  Sometimes there just is not an explanation.  If it happens again, take your temperature and see if it is lower than average (which is 95 to 98 degrees F)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 8/28/2019 at 11:03 AM, papageorge1 said:

Are you aware that sudden unexplained cold waves are often associated with paranormal activity as if an entity is drawing energy from the environment leaving a cold spot.

 

So do you think some entity is lying on their faces (those that have this experience) and sucking the heat from around that area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
44 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So do you think some entity is lying on their faces (those that have this experience) and sucking the heat from around that area?

Possibly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Possibly.

I suppose it could be possible.  I have never heard of this and have never experienced the room getting cold but have found cold spots in a room that I haven't found an explanation for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Britlynn

I has the same thing happen to me , as to why I am searching myself .. 

This was a few days ago & I can't seem to get it off my mind . how in describe it is  a cup full of ice cold water on my face .. I woke up so fast and confused .. 

I need answers .. 

Never have I had anything like this before , no medical history , I even have an a.c always blowing on me at night & still this ( whatever it was ) was colder than my a.c ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs

Waking up cold or shivering may indicate underlying medical conditions.

I am not a doctor, and generally Interweb forums are not the best place to find one, nor to allow for a proper examination to rule out the possible physiological causes.

 

What I find puzzling is that not one of the sufferers mention getting a medical check / doctor's opinion....

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 5/14/2016 at 3:41 PM, bubblykiss said:

What, do you rent a solitary confinement chamber in 1843 Pennsylvania?

Just about every room has some form of ventilation.

you're right... I DID have an invisible one-inch square vent (connected to a silent air conditioner) installed a few years ago -- that doggone thing laser-beam aims that icy cold air blast to my upper lip each time. (rent at the Solitary didn't include parking...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 5/14/2016 at 5:39 PM, freetoroam said:

Relevant questions and explanations above ^

Just picked up on this bit and it made me chuckle, it reminded me when I was a teenager sitting on the "estate" wall in South London where we all met up, a few times people would stop and ask for directions, our answer was always:

"see those traffic lights, you turn left, then straight on, take next right then second left after the roundabout," as they drive off, we say " and its nowhere near there".

OMG that's cute. I guess I'm like that. I was a boring storyteller in a past life I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 3/11/2019 at 11:35 AM, Moral75 said:

Hi Steve, I have been experiencing this phenomenon, it only happens in the afternoon, when I have a nap after lunch. The icy cold air that blows on my face makes me jump, and of course wakes me. I am in a living room that is totally enclosed, so find the whole ordeal quite unnerving.

i am responding to a post from 2016, I just found this site after entering my experience in google. Any thoughts on this would be comforting .

Amen! Finally, someone else that knows what I'm talking about! Any ideas? What do you think this is? It's probably a "hypnogogic nerve phenomenon" but it would be soooooooo cool if it was an "entity." I love the word "entity." I'm actually a skeptic-and-believer at the same time.... I would LOVE to see a ghost/entity/shadow being at least once in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 3/12/2019 at 12:06 AM, EnderOTD said:

... or your variety of holy person.

That's so funny. "Ya, we have one of those here..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 8/28/2019 at 2:53 AM, Ryleekresl said:

Hey. Its 450 in the morning and I had the SAME experience. I have been searching online for an explanation but cant seem to find why I had a blast of cold air on me in the middle of the night. Please help.

Wait until you get awakened by knocking on your closet door (and find out nobody was knocking). That's fun too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 8/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, SecretSanta said:

Like I suggested to another poster, hypnopompic hallucinations.

A parasomnia involves undesired events that come along with sleep. Sleep related hallucinationsare imagined events that seem very real. They are mainly visual. They may also involve your senses of sound, touch, taste and smell. They may even involve a sense of motion.
 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321070.php

These can be images, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, or sounds.”

I wake up occasionally smelling food cooking, one time I actually got out of bed at 2 in the morning to make sure no one was cooking.

YES! I've had that happen too. I think as humans, we like to "attribute" reasons to things. A dog feeling a blast of cold air would wake up, and then go back to sleep. A human feels a blast of cold air and think "entity, hallucination, nerve damage, sensory illusions, paranormal demons entering through a portal, etc.," then lay awake all night, then post to forums like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson
On 8/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, Desertrat56 said:

This is something new to me and seems definitely to qualify as unexplained.  Is it possible that you have a breathing problem and your body wakes you up to get you breathing again?  I am not discounting anything including the paranormal, though I tend to want to check the physical possibilities first.  Usually there is a physical explanation, but not always.  Sometimes there just is not an explanation.  If it happens again, take your temperature and see if it is lower than average (which is 95 to 98 degrees F)

Ahh! Yes! I've been told this too. Like sleep apnea, my body/mind is "saving my life." That is possible. I have not discounted that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevepeterson

So, as the OP (Original Poster) here are my possible conclusions in order of probability:

1.) Hypnogogic hallucination.
2.) Apnea, body/mind trying to keep me alive.
3.) Paranormal entity:
   a.) friendly ghost playing prank
   b.) evil entity from a portal
   c.) shadow being / hat man
4.) Magnetic/Electromagnetic phenomenon (I wear over-the-ear headphones all night)

I'm back on this forum today because last night as I was trying to fall asleep, I awakened to loud banging over the sound-soother din of my headphones. Yanking my headphones off, all was silent. A few minutes later, I fall back to sleep to awaken again to loud bangs. I jump up, yank my headphones off, all is quiet (again!). Dammit. After tossing and turning for about an hour, I FINALLY fall back asleep only to awaken again to the old familiar BLAST of cold icy air just on my upper lip/nose area.

Another night sleeping with all the lights on....

p.s. one more thing... I just now remembered that after last night's blast of cold air, I made a mental note to the effect of it "definitely* being an entity, with "no doubt," and "100% certainty." Now that it's daytime, I'm thinking it was just a hallucination. (Oh ya, I don't drink smoke or take any drugs)

Edited by stevepeterson
just adding more stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
3 minutes ago, stevepeterson said:

So, as the OP (Original Poster) here are my possible conclusions in order of probability:

1.) Hypnogogic hallucination.
2.) Apnea, body/mind trying to keep me alive.
3.) Paranormal entity:
   a.) friendly ghost playing prank
   b.) evil entity from a portal
   c.) shadow being / hat man
4.) Magnetic/Electromagnetic phenomenon (I wear over-the-ear headphones all night)

I'm back on this forum today because last night as I was trying to fall asleep, I awakened to loud banging over the sound-soother din of my headphones. Yanking my headphones off, all was silent. A few minutes later, I fall back to sleep to awaken again to loud bangs. I jump up, yank my headphones off, all is quiet (again!). Dammit. After tossing and turning for about an hour, I FINALLY fall back asleep only to awaken again to the old familiar BLAST of cold icy air just on my upper lip/nose area.

Another night sleeping with all the lights on....

Do you have a gas heater or cook stove?  If so, have you had your apartment tested for a gas leak?  Did anyone ask you if you are in an apartment and if someone lives above you?  Your location in relation to others or construction, etc could be a factor also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.