Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being awakened by blast of icy cold air

stevepeterson

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you have a gas heater or cook stove?  If so, have you had your apartment tested for a gas leak?  Did anyone ask you if you are in an apartment and if someone lives above you?  Your location in relation to others or construction, etc could be a factor also.

No, no, and no.... but definitely good questions you've asked. The blast of cold icy air is always directly on my nose/mouth area -- this is odd because over the dozen times over the past 5 years this has happened, wouldn't I be facing different directions, or, laying in different parts of the bed?

Edited by stevepeterson

Just now, stevepeterson said:

No, no, and no.... but definitely good questions you've asked. The blast of cold icy air is always directly on my nose/mouth area -- this is odd because over the dozen times over the past 5 years this has happened, wouldn't I be facing different directions, or, laying in different parts of the bed?

Does it only happen when you are in a certain position?  I know if you have breathing or digestive issues it is easier to sleep on your left side.  Sleeping on your back is not good for anyone who has either of those issues.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Does it only happen when you are in a certain position?  I know if you have breathing or digestive issues it is easier to sleep on your left side.  Sleeping on your back is not good for anyone who has either of those issues.

Always while laying on back. Why don't I ever feel the cold air on my neck, shoulder, arm, etc.? And if it is nerves, hypnogogic hallucination, how come I don't sometimes feel a tingle, or bump or pressure or other permutations of the "touch" sense? Why always "cold air wind blast?" It's not a general "cool air settling" like feeling room-temperature changes, no.... it's an actual blast. Like from an air-can duster... Hmmm.

Edited by stevepeterson

14 minutes ago, stevepeterson said:

Always while laying on back. Why don't I ever feel the cold air on my neck, shoulder, arm, etc.? And if it is nerves, hypnogogic hallucination, how come I don't sometimes feel a tingle, or bump or pressure or other permutations of the "touch" sense? Why always "cold air wind blast?" It's not a general "cool air settling" like feeling room-temperature changes, no.... it's an actual blast. Like from an air-can duster... Hmmm.

I would investigate the breathing issue first since that is on your list, and sleeping on your back may be causing or exacerbating it.  If you do have sleep apnea or some other breathing issue is not good to sleep on your back.

• Like 1

Steve, I experienced the same thing until it left for good. I do not know your spiritual beliefs, but this is 100% a demon. It is not something you want to invite in or mess around with and will only get worse if you do. It is a serious situation and is no joke. I cannot stress this enough. The truth is we are living in a fishbowl and most of the world is unaware of it. The good news is Jesus has defeated evil and has conquered the grave. He has a name above all names and is more powerful than any demon. If you are a Christian, pray to Him for protection and believe that it will be done. Faith is the key to deliverance in these situations. I can walk you through this if needed. With true faith in Christ, the demon will leave and the cold air will stop. Hopefully it hasn’t gotten worse yet and you are still only experiencing the blasts of air. If you are not a Christian, I can help answer any questions you have. I will pray for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lukethedrifter said:

Steve, I experienced the same thing until it left for good. I do not know your spiritual beliefs, but this is 100% a demon. It is not something you want to invite in or mess around with and will only get worse if you do. It is a serious situation and is no joke. I cannot stress this enough. The truth is we are living in a fishbowl and most of the world is unaware of it. The good news is Jesus has defeated evil and has conquered the grave. He has a name above all names and is more powerful than any demon. If you are a Christian, pray to Him for protection and believe that it will be done. Faith is the key to deliverance in these situations. I can walk you through this if needed. With true faith in Christ, the demon will leave and the cold air will stop. Hopefully it hasn’t gotten worse yet and you are still only experiencing the blasts of air. If you are not a Christian, I can help answer any questions you have. I will pray for you. 

You need to talk to @mooncresentgirl  Maybe you could help her.  I think Steve has not determined what is causing his issues yet.  You have to eliminate the possible physical and mental reasons before you decide it is a demon.

I just saw this thread and am new to the site. I do not know mooncrescentgirl but am willing to help anyone who needs it. I understand the need to eliminate mental and physical possibilities but I also know firsthand the experience of icy cold blasts of air on my face and it is blatantly paranormal. I know that might be hard to understand for those who have not felt it, but it’s one of those things where there is no other explanation. Only Steve knows what he has felt. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lukethedrifter said:

Why would a demon blow cold air and what would be be trying to accomplish by doing so? 

I would think it would try something more menacing.

• Thanks 1

Great question. The main weapon of demons is deception. Why they choose cold blasts of air or other physical manifestations is anyone’s guess, but know that what/when/how they do is all premeditated and personalized to attack you at your weakest spiritual moment when they are most likely to gain an entry. Basically they want to appear relatively harmless and get their target to be curious about them to the point where they seek after them and give them more entry into their lives. This leads to increased activity and depending on the subject’s openness results I’m more serious situations such as outright possession. They ultimately hate humanity and want to see our physical / spiritual destruction. If they appeared as they are, no one would invite them further because who wants demons in their lives? It’s a Trojan horse type of strategy. They also do not want the world to know they exist and love to work in the shadows. They want people to believe they aren’t real. 

A cold blast of air to the face out of nowhere will get your attention believe me and that’s all they are trying to initially accomplish. 

1 hour ago, Lukethedrifter said:

They want people to believe they aren’t real. 

Apparently God isn't that much difference huh.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Apparently God isn't that much difference huh.

Obviously I disagree. If you have a sincere and specific question, send a message and I will happily give you an honest answer, but I’m here to help people with a confusing and difficult situation with which I happen to have personal experience. So for that reason I think it’s best for us to stick to the topic at hand in this forum. 

On 5/14/2016 at 6:37 PM, stevepeterson said:

For the 5th time this past year, I have been awakened in the middle of the night (1:30am) by a *blast* of icy-cold air to my face.

1.) I sleep alone.

2.) Room is sealed (no open windows, no open vents, no heating, ventilation, or any air circulation).

I've never had any paranormal experiences in my life. I know many people that regularly have weird/unexplained experiences, see ghosts, etc., but my life is boring by comparison.

So, what happens is I am in a deep sleep, and *whoosh* I feel a BLAST of icy cold air on my face. It is not like a cold touch, and it is not like the air in my room is cold, and I awaken to the sensation of naturally cold air. No. Rather, I am startled awake by what feels like a forceful blast of cold air to my face.

For further clarification/analogy, you know when you open your freezer, you are confronted with some icy cold air? Well... it's NOT quite like that, because your freezer's cold air just sits there... and you feel it. Instead, what happens to me, is that I feel an actual BLAST of icy cold air to my face. Like someone blowing hard on my face with ice-air. (Again, I'm all alone in the room, I sleep alone.)

Am I experiencing an entity? A ghost? A poltergeist or mysterious life form? The only "non-paranormal" explanation I can come up with is that on the very rare occasion (once or twice a year), I am aware of sleep-apnea symptoms. Would this "icy blast of cold air" be my brain's way of waking me up so I don't die?

Any thoughts or ideas, no matter how far out or crazy, will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!!

Where is your a.c. vent located and ghost/demons don't exist.

Hang some lightweight streamers or similar over the bed, and setup a nightvision webcam - they are quite cheap..  tada - evidence !!

As described, there are plenty of non-paranormal possibilities, but the most likely is that it is a sensory issue which may have medical implications. 

• Like 2

The only demons in my room at night aren't paranormal and don't emanate from anything other than me after dinner. All joking aside houses are Swiss cheese when it comes to drafts, even newer homes (which are sometimes worse). Depending on how a house is ventilated, on whether or not even the electrical sockets are surrounded by insulation or not can cause wicked cold drafts depending on outside temperatures. My house is not insulated well at all on the outside wall, I get literally blasts of cold air through the power socket as it's loose, mostly in winter but sometimes on very windy days or nights. Go to a hardware store and ask for a draft candle, you light it, blow it out and then it gives off a white smoke. You hold it along walls and outlets, window frames etc and it can show you where there are significant drafts happening even in a "sealed" room.  Or its a ghost. I'm going with drafts first though..

Edited by darkmoonlady

i dont believe in ghosts or demons there is never any proof and as a non believer i have never been bothered by such, works out well.

i do think some people do believe in such superstitious stuff very deeply its real to them in their mind and they need to understand imaginary things only have the power you give it, so dont feed it.

If a person believes in God and thinks prayer is the answer thats super, i respect that but respect that telling someone you can pray away their afflictions and banish their demons and if they dont do as you say the demons will do this or that is a bit careless for my taste, it starts sounding like the ruse of con artist phychics to me, and could leave a person needing medical attention in danger. 

I have all kinds of health issues many are nerves or "mental" in nature, on waking up  i have felt my hands feel like 2 balloons, yeah, like the pink Floyd song, ive had all kinds of sleep issues and breathing issues, not to your degree but ive felt cold air on my face around my nose and mouth and while my big old alleged haunted house is drafty i believe the cold breeze i feel is a combination of my sleep issues and nerves and breathing.

edit to add: on my hands feeling like balloons, i would be waking more asleep than awake but i feel more awake, very drdp, and as i try to doze back off it feels like my hands are inflating, getting huge, i startle myself to look at my hands move them and they are of course normal, but when this is going on it feels very very real, since i dont believe in paranormal i go after the scientific cause, but i have had those fantasy based types try to convince me its some evil blah blah, people believe what they want to, what works for them,  i had the hand thing happen about 3 or 4 times and stopped but i still have all kinds of near wake weirdness, the mind is a terrible thing to taste.

what you described doesnt need an exocist you need to go get checked out by a good doctor savvy with sleep and nervious disorders and go from there.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This has just happened to me.I woke up to what seemed to be someone blowing icy cold air onto my arm which was uncovered by the duvet.It was 5am .I do have sleep apnea and when I woke up I was lying on my back without my mask which means i could have stopped breathing ?.I decided to to what had happened and was bought to this page where i see exactly  the same thing happened  to someone else.

• 2 months later...

....months later: Thank you all for offering your thoughts.

The question many are asking is "where is your AC located." This question is moot because this is not a mass of cold air. It is not a mass of cold air like when one opens a freezer (or cool air coming out of a vent, or frosty air drifting in through a window, or an ice cold breeze across ones face, or a chilling wave passing by). No..... not like this at all.

I'm trying to describe a very small postage stamp sized, laser focused, quick "puff" of air. Hmmm... how do I explain.... lets see.... if you got a spray bottle and filled it with sub-zero ice cold air, walked up to someone sleeping, aimed the nozzle at their upper lip, and quickly pulled the trigger real hard for a billionth of a second ... and ... POOF, a quick sharp icy cold blast of air!

I'd like to hear Lukethedrifter's story... you said you had something similar happen. Care to describe in detail? Big detail? Like I did? And why exactly did you think it was a demon. Are you guessing? Or just making an educated assumption? Please tell more. Bottom line, what I had been experiencing is either a.) hypnogogic sleep stuff, or, b.) entity related.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, Lukethedrifter said:

I just saw this thread and am new to the site. I do not know mooncrescentgirl but am willing to help anyone who needs it. I understand the need to eliminate mental and physical possibilities but I also know firsthand the experience of icy cold blasts of air on my face and it is blatantly paranormal. I know that might be hard to understand for those who have not felt it, but it’s one of those things where there is no other explanation. Only Steve knows what he has felt. 

I have to agree here! It sounds like he has been eliminating the non paranormal explaination. Good to know others here are open to the idea.

It happening at the same time ever night is significant to me and with what I have experienced.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I ran across this post because I had a question of my own about something that happened a few nights ago, but might be able to answer some questions.  I am a psychiatrist with an MD and a PhD in Neuroscience. I am Board Certified in Psychiatry and Neurology. I also spent several years conducting neuroscience research.

The brain does some pretty amazing things when left to its own devices, but not all can be explained by physiology alone.

While it is possible to have florid hypnagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations that are akin to have a dream while awake, it is very difficult to explain away sensory perceptions such as a cold blast of air to the face in the middle of the night. Why? Because multiple sensory nerves are involved: i.e., it's not just one nerve that is malfunctioning.

Also, if this was due to aberrant nerve signaling, or some nerve damage, why is this not happening during the daytime also?

It seems to be easier for the brain to invent complex sensory signals, that are essentially the same as dreaming, when deprived of the usual normal sensory stimuli that allow our brain to orient (one such stimulus, for example, being daylight hitting our retina), but how do you explain a cold blast of air targeted at only your face that happens only at night (involving multiple sensory nerves, but only very specific parts of those nerves, if you look up a map of the nerve dermatomes of the face)?

I was a scientifically-minded skeptic about the paranormal until my late 30s, and had had many, extensive hyponagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations (being on-call for 72 hours in the hospital kind of does that to you.) Never believed in the paranormal. 

Then, at 1 am one Saturday morning, when I was sleeping in an old apartment, in the top floor of the Veterans Hospital, designated for the on-call docs, while on-call at work one weekend, my whole view of the paranormal changed when I was awoken by a security officer, white as a sheet, ringing the doorbell to find out if I was okay because he "saw someone run through the apartment on the security camera."

That terrified security officer searched every cupboard and nook of the apartment before he let me go back to sleep.

Since then, I have experienced several incidences that cannot be explained by hallucinations alone.

Including, two nights ago, an ice cold patch the width of a child's hand on my arm, at 4 am, much colder than the air conditioning that was blowing at the same time.

What I do know from all my years of training and research, is that we humans really don't know much of anything about how the universe works.

Demons? Entirely possible. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MDPhD said:

Hi there,

I ran across this post because I had a question of my own about something that happened a few nights ago, but might be able to answer some questions.  I am a psychiatrist with an MD and a PhD in Neuroscience. I am Board Certified in Psychiatry and Neurology. I also spent several years conducting neuroscience research.

The brain does some pretty amazing things when left to its own devices, but not all can be explained by physiology alone.

While it is possible to have florid hypnagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations that are akin to have a dream while awake, it is very difficult to explain away sensory perceptions such as a cold blast of air to the face in the middle of the night. Why? Because multiple sensory nerves are involved: i.e., it's not just one nerve that is malfunctioning.

Also, if this was due to aberrant nerve signaling, or some nerve damage, why is this not happening during the daytime also?

It seems to be easier for the brain to invent complex sensory signals, that are essentially the same as dreaming, when deprived of the usual normal sensory stimuli that allow our brain to orient (one such stimulus, for example, being daylight hitting our retina), but how do you explain a cold blast of air targeted at only your face that happens only at night (involving multiple sensory nerves, but only very specific parts of those nerves, if you look up a map of the nerve dermatomes of the face)?

I was a scientifically-minded skeptic about the paranormal until my late 30s, and had had many, extensive hyponagogic and hypnapompic hallucinations (being on-call for 72 hours in the hospital kind of does that to you.) Never believed in the paranormal. 

Then, at 1 am one Saturday morning, when I was sleeping in an old apartment, in the top floor of the Veterans Hospital, designated for the on-call docs, while on-call at work one weekend, my whole view of the paranormal changed when I was awoken by a security officer, white as a sheet, ringing the doorbell to find out if I was okay because he "saw someone run through the apartment on the security camera."

That terrified security officer searched every cupboard and nook of the apartment before he let me go back to sleep.

Since then, I have experienced several incidences that cannot be explained by hallucinations alone.

Including, two nights ago, an ice cold patch the width of a child's hand on my arm, at 4 am, much colder than the air conditioning that was blowing at the same time.

What I do know from all my years of training and research, is that we humans really don't know much of anything about how the universe works.

Demons? Entirely possible. 

Well it is good to see a scientist with an open-minded attitude. I also believe much of the paranormal is given insufficient explain-away by an overly arrogant scientific attitude. Strange things do happen again and again. 

This belief has led me to considering explanatory models of reality beyond the physical realm of our normal senses and instruments. I am highly impressed by the level of detail in Theosophical and Vedic (Hindu) wisdom traditions. They provide an explanatory model for things science types prefer denial that anything novel is occurring. Why don't people know more about this stuff? Because we are still in the age where materialism is the dominant philosophy in academia and science. But the walls have cracked and crumbled a fair bit just in my lifetime of observing the scene.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:50 AM, papageorge1 said:

Possibly.

When we were having a bunch of phenomena, the significant other had something like this happen while he was wide awake and in the kitchen.

A blast of cold air right in his face, enough to move his hair, and something whispering at him.

• Thanks 1