Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weather observers 'walk' in 109 mph winds

Still Waters

Mount Washington Observatory's weather observers Mike Dorfman and Tom Padham have battled dangerous winds of up to 109 mph. This video shows the pair struggling to walk - and even sliding down the deck at one point - as they braved the strong winds.

http://news.sky.com/...n-makes-man-fly

• Like 2

Wow. I would not be brave enough to try it.

• Like 2

Been dying to try that since I was a little boy. (A little boy who's school parka was a cape and who was Superman. :) )

• Like 2

(A little boy who's school parka was a cape and who was Superman. :) )

This reminds me of something that happened on Mount Snowdon. We'd reached the top and were sitting down resting while admiring the view and I had my parka beside me, then all of a sudden this gust of wind blew up and took my parka with it. All we could do was just sit there watching it blowing away :D Good job it wasn't raining that day.

• Like 3

I recall as a young man hiking in those White Mountains and needing to rope with two other people just to get below tree line when the winds came up rather unexpectedly. I can only wonder what frostbite times must be when the winds have exceeded 200mph on Mt Washington.

• Like 3

Living in a Hurricane zone, it is not the 100 mph wind that scares me, it is the 100 mph 2x4s that slams into you.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

You could fly a Nun in that kind of wind. the-flying-nun-1350102349_b.jpg

• Like 1

I would have to have some weights attached to my feet. I would blow away because I'm so weightless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know where the meaning, Blown Away came from.;)