Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trees may actually 'sleep' during the night

UM-Bot

For the first time, trees have been observed undergoing changes at night that can be likened to sleep.

Andras Zlinszky and his colleages from the Center for Ecological Research in Tihany, Hungary, made the discovery after using lasers to measure trees in Austria and Finland during the night.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/294690/trees-may-actually-sleep-during-the-night

• Like 6

More bad news for vegans! plant life is more and more like what animals and peoples behavior and life cycles are.

• Like 4

I guess I never thought before that some mature (or growing) tree species exhibit branch drooping at night similar to some baby plants.

Would stand to reason, I suppose, given the articles presumption. Good find!

• Like 1

Anyone who has grown their own cannabis could tell you plants sleep at night and react quickly to moving grow lights etc.

• Like 5

Anyone who has grown their own cannabis could tell you plants sleep at night and react quickly to moving grow lights etc.

I tested what you said... unfortunately the evidence went up in smoke. :w00t:

• Like 5

Wouldn't be awful to learn that plants, e.g., trees especially, could feel?

What agony a tree would go through while being chopped down...

• Like 2

So we know trees talk, trees sleep, trees breath, trees understand and react to things that happen to them, trees eat/drink, sounds quite conscious to me.

They probably don't feel pain as we do, but do know when they are being cut. It's just are branches like horns/tusks etc or like arms/legs

Trees may actually 'sleep' during the night

That's great. That means they may be asleep when I walk home from the pub and take a pi$$ against one of them, so they wont wake up and kick my *** for it. :whistle::) I mean; it's quite embarrassing coming home with an black eye, and sayin that I got my *** kicked by a poppel because I took a p|$$ against it.

More bad news for vegans! plant life is more and more like what animals and peoples behavior and life cycles are.

Dang, so it looks like there's only one ethical dietary alternative: become a detrivore, like millipedes and earthworms.

Detritivores obtain nutrients by consuming detritus (decomposing plant and animal parts as well as feces). Eating feces is a bit too extreme for me, so I will settle for eating rotting plants and roadkill.

• Like 3

Anyone who's ever observed plants such as the mimosa, closing their leaves at sunset and opening them in the morning, already knew plants have diurnal-nocturnal cycles. The question is: do plants also dream?

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

That's it. I'm going to become a Breatherarian.

Plant Lives Matter...

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

i could just imagine this evolution of trees turning into those trees that are in the lord of the rings.

• Like 2

Anyone who's ever observed plants such as the mimosa, closing their leaves at sunset and opening them in the morning, already knew plants have diurnal-nocturnal cycles. The question is: do plants also dream?

Dreams of leaving? Of pastures new where a feller can put down roots and maybe branch out a little? The grass is, after all, greener on the other side.

(sorry... lol)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

This is laudible; the human capacity for anthropomorphism astounds (ie not actually sleep but something else we'll refer to as sleep). Next up the laissez faire economics of plancton: anything goes!

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:16 AM, TheOtherSide1945 said:

Do you know from experience?;)

• Like 1