Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Selfies' Overestimate Their Attractiveness

Still Waters

On 6/22/2016 at 9:56 AM, Forever Cursed said:

I have a solution to the problem ...... just like spandex should be banned for those who are little Debbie impaired ..... so should selfies.....   

So... Who took your picture? Should it really be banned for people that have no friends to take a picture themself? Life moves fast its good to remember sometimes. I think its great to take lots of pictures.

4 minutes ago, Podo said:

If that's not what you meant, then clarify a bit better next time. I claimed nothing, which you'll notice if you reread my post. I said that your motivation "seems to be to subtly insult etc etc". I made no claims, only observations. From your previous posts in the thread, it seemed like you were coming from a place of selfie-supporting arrogance. If you're not, then that's fine.

So i have to define all the possible scenarios just to keep your imagination from getting away with you and making rude assumptions about what i meant? Not my job.  

1 minute ago, Nnicolette said:

So i have to define all the possible scenarios just to keep your imagination from getting away with you and making rude assumptions about what i meant? Not my job.  

Indeed. Which is why we're discussing it with words. You're getting uppity, not me. Take a selfie, you'll feel better. 

• Like 1

I hate getting my picture taken, and I always look like I hate the camera. 

Online, I rarely post any pics because I like to be judged based on what I have to say, and not how I look. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I hate getting my picture taken, and I always look like I hate the camera. 

Online, I rarely post any pics because I like to be judged based on what I have to say, and not how I look. 

This is the only place I have that luxury and I enjoy it immensely. It's very liberating. 

Just now, Michelle said:

This is the only place I have that luxury and I enjoy it immensely. It's very liberating. 

I'm petite and I've always looked very young (although, I'm actually not). Anyway, people treat you like you couldn't possibly know anything. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2016 at 7:12 AM, ChewiesArmy said:

I would send out selfies, I'm just too damn hot for the internet!

I posted one one over in the Rogue's Gallery III thread and all the women got the vapors and swooned.

Since then, I've learned to be extremely careful with my superpower.

Harte

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm petite and I've always looked very young (although, I'm actually not). Anyway, people treat you like you couldn't possibly know anything. 

I'm not petite, being 5'7", but my husband and I own a welding business...totally a man's territory. After thirty years of experience, I am still poo-poo'd about my opinion on projects, because I look so feminine. Most men don't trust my judgement until my husband nods in agreement.

It's a daily battle.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'm not petite, being 5'7", but my husband and I own a welding business...totally a man's territory. After thirty years of experience, I am still poo-poo'd about my opinion on projects, because I look so feminine. Most men don't trust my judgement until my husband nods in agreement.

It's a daily battle.

Easy solution - take the oxy-acetylene torch to them.

Harte

• Like 1

Just now, Harte said:

Easy solution - take the oxy-acetylene torch to them.

Harte

I learned early on to ignore them and aim the sparks from the grinding wheel at their new suits.B)

I had work to do...

• Like 1

Now I'm over there checking out everyone else's photos while still refusing to post one. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I learned early on to ignore them and aim the sparks from the grinding wheel at their new suits.B)

I had work to do...

Excellent response - I should have thought of that!

Harte

• Like 1

More selfies should be like Imaginarynumber1's. Those gorilla pics rock. 

3 minutes ago, Harte said:

Excellent response - I should have thought of that!

Harte

And if they had a clue, they wouldn't have invaded my work space.

So, nothing about my Harte pics?

Be careful posting your pics there - I learned the hard way!

Harte

• Like 1

Just now, Harte said:

So, nothing about my Harte pics?

Be careful posting your pics there - I learned the hard way!

Harte

I liked your Halloween costume. 

Oh yeah, I remember posting just a Halloween pic when I was dressed up like a witch...and I thought I was posting it just to my page on the site I was on (I was new to fora). Anyway, I didn't realize it would also show up on the home page and everyone would see it. Right away I had someone asking if I kept my pointy hat on during...erm...activities. Aaaaack! Delete....DELETE!!!

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

I really have no business posting here since ya'know..my avatar is a selfie. BUT, surprisingly, I am actually not a super duper selfie type of person. I just didn't know what to make my avatar and now I just feel like it is part of my Unexplained Mysteries identity now! People wouldn't know it was me posting if I had some other avatar! Its like you always know Likely_Guy has the Camel, Taun the Moose, Imaginary Number the Gorilla, Merc is Steve Buscemi! Anyway, I think humans are kind of vain by nature and now its just easier to be vain. We can just take a selfie now, no need to worry about commissioning a painting!

x0AIngC.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Rinna said:

I really have no business posting here since ya'know..my avatar is a selfie. BUT, surprisingly, I am actually not a super duper selfie type of person. I just didn't know what to make my avatar and now I just feel like it is part of my Unexplained Mysteries identity now! People wouldn't know it was me posting if I had some other avatar! Its like you always know Likely_Guy has the Camel, Taun the Moose, Imaginary Number the Gorilla, Merc is Steve Buscemi! Anyway, I think humans are kind of vain by nature and now its just easier to be vain. We can just take a selfie now, no need to worry about commissioning a painting!

x0AIngC.png

Well, yours gets a pass because you're adorable. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rinna said:

I really have no business posting here since ya'know..my avatar is a selfie.

So's mine.

17 minutes ago, Rinna said:

BUT, surprisingly, I am actually not a super duper selfie type of person.

Me neither. That last one was pretty painful.

Harte

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, yours gets a pass because you're adorable. 

Your right - she is adorable. She makes you want to squeeze those cute cheeks  smileys-baby-843803.gif

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rinna said:

x0AIngC.png

For me, I want people to put a face with the post as you. Taking and posting selfies works for me, if it's vain so be it, and I can appreciate it's not for everyone. I think people have to do what works for them. I have not had any issues being respected for my intelligence. Honestly, that you posted a selfie gave me the impression we may have things in common and you are a very bright girl; selfie or not it comes through your posts. Beautiful women are intelligent too, you sure prove that. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Back in my day, I took selfies the hard way...... and they weren't even called selfies back then...

With phones that only had a 2 MP back camera,  you couldn't really tell until after the picture is taken and you browse to the gallery to view your picture.

• Like 1

I don't take selfies. My camera's broken or something and all that comes out is some old fart.

• Like 3

I think there's a line between taking a selfie and being narcissistic. Sometimes you do think I look pretty or good today I'm going to take a photo, however some like the Kardashians do go overboard with it.

• Like 1