Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

The forum has now been updated however there is still quite a lot of work to do to get everything running smoothly. This thread will track issues that are currently being worked on while also addressing common questions about the new format.

Fixed issues:

• Broken formatting in older posts
  • Users online list added to topics to show who is viewing them
  • Fixed issue preventing members viewing who liked a post
  • Home page now integrates with login system
  • Latest topics now correctly displays only the most recent topics
  • Topic descriptions are now working again
  • Fixed home page login issue
  • Search and activity feeds now working
  • Comment counts on home page
  • Home page forum stats
  • Forum post count totals
  • Home page comment forms
  • 'Content I Posted In' and topic tags are now back

Other improvements:

• Replaced status updates widget with a better one.
  • Added "post preview" option
  • Re-added post numbers
  • Added "Back to Top" buttons
  • Improved speed of forum search and activity stream functions

If you run in to any issues not covered here, please post them in this thread.

Thank you.

• Like 9

• The topic was featured

:)

• Like 1

I suppose it doesn't quite count as an 'issue' but I don't like the idea of 'followers'. What was wrong with the friends system?

And I've just noticed the 'top' button is missing .... it's very important!

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 8

every page click throws a pop up asking if you want to receive notifications from this site

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Just now, seeder said:

every page click throws a pop up asking if you want to receive more information from this site

This is for the new notifications system - it integrates with your browser to provide real-time notifications.

If you select 'yes' it will enable this for you and if you click 'no' it will disable it and won't ask again.

• Like 1

ok - gotcha!!

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

And I've just noticed the 'top' button is missing .... it's very important!

Adding this to the to-do list.

• Like 2

Saru, first page << and last page >> are missing in the top left page shortcut

2 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Saru, first page << and last page >> are missing in the top left page shortcut

Whereabouts are these missing ? I'm seeing them when browsing a forum section and when browsing a topic.

Could just be my work browser but so far two threads.  Here is one I just posted in The functionality is there, just not the >>

I like the look though and how it works!

Edited by Merc14

This will take some getting used to! Not able to use the drop down, look at 'My Content' to see if there has been responses to things I have posted. I hate to have to 'Follow' every thread I reply in though. I like the old ways better! I guess in time I will figure out the new ways. May have to lurk like I did in the old days.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Could just be my work browser but so far two threads.  Here is one I just posted in The functionality is there, just not the >>

What browser/device are you using ?

6 minutes ago, DeeSember said:

This will take some getting used to! Not able to use the drop down, look at 'My Content' to see if there has been responses to things I have posted. I hate to have to 'Follow' every thread I reply in though. I like the old ways better! I guess in time I will figure out the new ways. May have to lurk like I did in the old days.

'My Content' hasn't gone - it's just that we're currently rebuilding the database and all search-related functions aren't working right now. You won't need to follow each thread individually.

• Like 5

At what size are avatars not cropped? I've tried 90x90 and 100x100; I've also tried 100x72, but it seems that it must be square? OK, I put it on a square canvas, no biggie... but it's still cropped..

Not a pressing issue on a very busy day for you. Best wishes.

ETA: hacked that by mounting the 90x69 image on a 100 square canvas, and the forum dutifully trimmed 10 pixels all around.

Strange but not fatal: when I login, I get sent to the site main page. I am apparently not logged in, and a "login" link appears under the banner at the top of the page. Clicking that sends me to a "sorry that page doesn't exist" message - but now I am logged in.

Also not fatal: the notifications pop-up recurs, even though I've clicked "never allow.".

Edited by eight bits
additional information
  • Like 1

Ok If I want to reply to someone's status on the FORUM tab, instead of it just showing up as a reply...the page jumps to THAT persons profile page

For example, I clicked on this user to reply to a status update, and it jumps to their home page...meaning I see my reply but then  have to navigate BACK to the other status updates

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/profile/130832-iron_lotus/?status=289194&type=status

• Like 1

((((Big Hugs Saru)))) Some of my stuff that was not working is already starting to come back. Just need to be patient and get used to the changes. Panicked a bit when I got here to catch up on things, felt like I had lost an old friend, this place has always been comforting. A lot of my old haunts are gone or just being too difficult to use or want to care about.

Edited by DeeSember
Typo, nothing huge.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saru said:

What browser/device are you using ?

'My Content' hasn't gone - it's just that we're currently rebuilding the database and all search-related functions aren't working right now. You won't need to follow each thread individually.

IE-11 but it is heavily modified so disregard until I get home and try real IE11 and Firefox.

On the community section(mobile version) it still marks the unread post. But for some reason in the unexplained section those little "dots" aren't there anymore.

This looks amazing so far! I needed something happy happening after the heartache of last nights Game of Thrones. 

• Like 2

Also I like the fresh design but I can no longer see pictures In posts or click links(on mobile).

• Like 1

Testing. Is this thing on?

Not bad. The live updates are cool, so long as we have total control of them... Which brings me to the one niggle I have so far, with the notifications and only having a choice as to method. I have it set to make a sound only but a popup at the bottom of the page still happens, and doesn't simply fade away. Even right now one is there, nagging for attention like a child pulling at my clothes. lol 

ETA I do like the darker text, shows against the background much better.

Edited by AZDZ

What he said above and when I click on the pop up for a notification it doesn't show me the reply. 

*scribbles a note and slinks out*

Dear Saru,

The smilies in the status thingy-bob don't work. I tried adding one to something I said and it wouldn't post, but when I took it out, it posted immediately.

Many thanks,

~CoB

• The title was changed to [Complete] New Forum
  • The topic was locked