Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

This was/is a good change. Most of the complainers, I don't even know what they're talking about.

I do miss the birthday announcements though, even though most of them I never ran across.

Other than that, all's good!

• Like 1

Sorry but this site is so mess up, I understand they have  to clear out old archives,  but to navigate any where is has now become a stress.:(

25 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

This was/is a good change. Most of the complainers, I don't even know what they're talking about.

I do miss the birthday announcements though, even though most of them I never ran across.

It's okay about the birthdays, Likely Guy...so long as you remember mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

It's okay about the birthdays, Likely Guy...so long as you remember mine.

August 19th, 1966 B.C.E.

Hey! I was born on the 18th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

August 19th, 1966 B.C.E.

Hey! I was born on the 18th.

You even got the BCE part right. I'm touched.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Truly. :)

I presume that "Content" is still being worked on? Now it only gives threads that one posted in from today, or the day before at the earliest, otherwise it just gives status updates.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZZ430 said:

I hope I wasn't too hasty in posting that.

When I reply to a topic it takes a long time from clicking "Submit reply" to actually getting the post up. I see "Saving" for quite a while, and it just sits there.

Edit: It took over 2 minutes for this to be posted.

I've found that if you refresh the page after you've cliked "Submit Reply" while it's going "Saving..." it [usually] loads it, although you may want to save what you're typed just to be sure. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

I presume that "Content" is still being worked on? Now it only gives threads that one posted in from today, or the day before at the earliest, otherwise it just gives status updates.

Everything to do with content and activity streams is still being worked on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Down here, we call it tetched.

Harte

5 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

With due respect Likely Guy, I haven't noticed many 'complainers' and those that do seem to have genuine difficulties with phones/tablets that are ruining their experience here . What I see  is people asking politely for features that they loved from the old format and hope will be reinstalled. 

And there you are mentioning birthday announcements of people you don't even know!

1 hour ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

I've found that if you refresh the page after you've cliked "Submit Reply" while it's going "Saving..." it [usually] loads it, although you may want to save what you're typed just to be sure. 

Something else that sometimes speeds things up: simply swiping your cursor across the page(without pressing either side of your mouse!), or use the scroll button a little ..... anything that causes movement(?)

7 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

@ Saru...Will/Can we get a desk top version for mobile as an option?

It's on the list to be looked at.

6 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

to add can`nt seem to edit my post  or do much of any thing, any more , I getting so frustrated I`m about to give up on this site all together.:(

Can you be more specific ?

• Like 1

Update:

• "Content I Posted In" has been temporarily disabled as it was slowing up the site.
  • Like 1

Update:

I have identified two forum features that were causing the slowdowns:

• "Content I Posted In" activity stream
  • Topic tags - specifically when someone clicks on one to conduct a search

Both of these features have been disabled temporarily until a solution can be found as they are disrupting the forum.

Post rebuild

I also need to mention that the process which rebuilds the formatting of old posts and signatures stalled unexpectedly at around 50%. I have been in contact with Invision about this however the issue has had to be escalated to Tier II support which is not available at the weekend ( and Monday is a holiday ).

I'm sure this will get sorted eventually but it may take a bit more time than anticipated.

• Like 4

what was so bad with the old forum that we had to change? it was functioning excellently, and now we have this mess, change for change sake. was it forced upon you Saru or was it your choice to upgrade?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

what was so bad with the old forum that we had to change? it was functioning excellently, and now we have this mess, change for change sake. was it forced upon you Saru or was it your choice to upgrade?

In what possible way is this new forum "a mess" ? There are always going to be teething problems initially - it's been less than a week!

Software evolves over time - you can't stay on the old version forever just because one or two people don't like change.

The old forum was slow, outdated, lacked a lot of modern features and was about to hit the end of its support cycle.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Saru said:

I also need to mention that the process which rebuilds the formatting of old posts and signatures stalled unexpectedly at around 50%. I have been in contact with Invision about this however the issue has had to be escalated to Tier II support which is not available at the weekend ( and Monday is a holiday ).

I'm sure this will get sorted eventually but it may take a bit more time than anticipated.

"These things are sent to try us" as the saying goes.

Thank you Saru for all your hard work.

• Like 3

:D Why aren't my very witty and interesting status updates loading?

• Like 1

Everything loads so fast today... almost instantly! I didn't even know my old machine can do that :lol:

• Like 2

Lot's of double posts from folks because the Submit Reply takes awhile to save your work and sometimes hangs indefinitely.  

1 minute ago, Merc14 said:

Lot's of double posts from folks because the Submit Reply takes awhile to save your work and sometimes hangs indefinitely.  

Just like others suggested a page before, when saving starts hanging, hit the 'refresh'. It works for me.

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

:D Why aren't my very witty and interesting status updates loading?

I can post them from my profile it would seem, but not from the main page(under the 'updates' heading)

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Something else that sometimes speeds things up: simply swiping your cursor across the page(without pressing either side of your mouse!), or use the scroll button a little ..... anything that causes movement(?)

You have to be holding your mouth right and chanting Bill Gates name for this to work.

Harte

• Like 2

• The title was changed to [Complete] New Forum
  • The topic was locked