Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

6 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Why isn't my animated GIF avatar not animating?

Mine wasn't either at first, I just had to load it from scratch again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Why isn't my animated GIF avatar not animating?

If you re-upload it now it should work.

• Like 3

Thanks Saru. I'm snowing again!

• Like 5

How do I upload my GIF avatar? I can't find where to upload it.

• Like 1

Had issues lately where when replying to a thread I've already replied in it auto populates a post I've already made.

6 hours ago, susieice said:

Thanks Saru. I'm snowing again!

Actually Susie, when your avatar was smaller in the old version, I couldn't tell that it was snowing. Now I can see it!

Am loving the upgrade and appreciate it far more than the few features that were removed, and I'm still on dial-up.

*searches*

Why is there no "dinosaur smiley" yet?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

How do I upload my GIF avatar? I can't find where to upload it.

Go into your profile and you'll see a little camera on your profile pic. Click on it and select upload. Then just re-upload your avie. That's what worked for me.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, susieice said:

Go into your profile and you'll see a little camera on your profile pic. Click on it and select upload. Then just re-upload your avie. That's what worked for me.

It's ALIVE!!!

Somewhere on my old Dell Dimension 4100 I have a GIF of my camel doing the moon walk.

• Like 2

Updates:

• Post numbers have been re-added to the forum
  • Fixed issue with comment counts on main site
  • "Back to top" button added to the forum footer

To link someone to a specific post you can either right-click on the number and select "copy link address" or click the share icon on the right to open a dialog box and then copy the link from there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Saru said:

Updates:

• Post numbers have been re-added to the forum
  • Fixed issue with comment counts on main site
  • "Back to top" button added to the forum footer

To link someone to a specific post you can either right-click on the number and select "copy link address" or click the share icon on the right to open a dialog box and then copy the link from there.

I notice that the post numbers are the total post count for the entire forum since it began. Are they going to go back to starting at post #1 for the beginning of each thread like they used to? Your post was #5852655 and doesn't reflect how many posts are in this particular thread.....

YAY, regarding the post numbers! Thanks for sorting that out Saru. Any chance of getting 'top' buttons on every post as before? Sorry to sound ungrateful but the one button at the bottom of the page still means there's an awful lot of scrolling required :hmm:

And 'Friends' :) it really would be lovely to have that system back again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

YAY, regarding the post numbers! Thanks for sorting that out Saru. Any chance of getting 'top' buttons on every post as before? Sorry to sound ungrateful but the one button at the bottom of the page still means there's an awful lot of scrolling required :hmm:

Update:

• Added "Top" to the post options next to "Quote" and "Edit".
2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

And 'Friends' :) it really would be lovely to have that system back again.

That won't be coming back unfortunately, the system was completely replaced by the new followers mechanic.

• Like 1

Indeed, as Saru and others here have pointed-out, there WILL be "teething pains" as the intricacies of an admittedly dynamic site get worked-out.

I truly feel that Saru and Company understands our "complaints", but also for all of us to post "what seems to be working, what seems to be not working" so that what seems not stable, by us, is known to him.

Reminds me of "Beta" roll-outs. As users we should do our best to describe whatever specific "gripe" we might have; not entirely bastardise the new system.

Recall that Saru mentioned that the "support cycle" of the previous format has expired. So, there is little choice but to upgrade.

Let us all support this needful decision, and be helpful (as everyone is) in pointing-out "bugs" that should be corrected.

This will take time. I recall one "beta-rollout" from another company that took nearly 3-months to work-out all the bugs, and was successful in the end. Their site is now effective, user-intuitive and content seamless. But it took time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saru said:

Update:

• Added "Top" to the post options next to "Quote" and "Edit".

:clap: Saru, you're a star! Thank you.

• Like 3

Update:

• The "Post Preview" is back - with a twist

To access it when writing a post, click the icon which looks like a page with a magnifying glass over it.

This will enable you to see how your post will look across all three device types - desktop, tablet and mobile.

Clicking the "X" in the top right of the editor will close the preview window.

• Like 4

Thank you, that's cleared that. That's still slightly annoying, when if you select "Quote" but for some reason decide not to post, there seems to be no way to get rid of it except to just go ahead & post it, even if it doesn't contribute much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Thank you, that's cleared that. That's still slightly annoying, when if you select "Quote" but for some reason decide not to post, there seems to be no way to get rid of it except to just go ahead & post it, even if it doesn't contribute much.

There are two ways to remove a quote if you don't want to post it:

1. You can just click on the quote box ( it will highlight in blue ) and hit "delete".

2. Alternatively press CTRL and right-click and you will get a menu with the option to delete the quote.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Yes, I have noticed that as well. It is "annoying" as that should not be the case.

A decision NOT TO POST should completely blank the pre-post screen?

Ah i see, i keep trying the "click on quote box and hit delete', but it never seems to work. The CTRL-right click dodge seems to work, though.

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

Yes, I have noticed that as well. It is "annoying" as that should not be the case.

A decision NOT TO POST should completely blank the pre-post screen?

What's happening is the editor saves what you write so that if you accidentally move off the page you don't lose your post.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saru said:

What's happening is the editor saves what you write so that if you accidentally move off the page you don't lose your post.

You know, I did "accidentally" find that to be true. Nice feature, now that I think about it :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Ah i see, i keep trying the "click on quote box and hit delete', but it never seems to work. The CTRL-right click dodge seems to work, though.

Otto, I have similarly had that issue. Could you specifically describe your steps? 

What is "dodge"? Or is it just "CTRL-right click, DELETE"??

4 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Otto, I have similarly had that issue. Could you specifically describe your steps? 

What is "dodge"? Or is it just "CTRL-right click, DELETE"??

Yes, basically, it seems to work. If you right-click while holding down 'CTRL', a little menu comes up as Saru said, and you can select 'Remove Quote' or 'Remove Quote but Keep contents'.  But you have to keep the cursor inside the quote box.

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 1

For all...

Please continue specifically describing a "complaint"

So hard to remediate, or the potential for it, without specificity.

This new site can only progress in "stabilization" by YOU, the user. All of us.

• The title was changed to [Complete] New Forum
  • The topic was locked