Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

For all...

Please continue specifically describing a "complaint"

So hard to remediate, or the potential for it, without specificity.

This new site can only progress in "stabilization" by YOU, the user. All of us.

Are you one of Saru's minions?  :su:P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Euphorbia said:

Are you one of Saru's minions?  :su:P

No, just a serious love for UM.

• Like 3

Grrr. When I upload a picture for my Avatar picture it keeps cropping it, so I never can get the full-size picture, no matter how small the original picture I upload is.

13 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Grrr. When I upload a picture for my Avatar picture it keeps cropping it, so I never can get the full-size picture, no matter how small the original picture I upload is.

For consistency, the forum software automatically crops/resizes uploaded profile images to make them perfectly square.

• Like 3

So, I have a question.

Is the new Invision software specific to whatever viewer "taste", that is , I.E. Chrome, etc.

What is the recommended and tested browser interfaces?

Edited by pallidin

53 minutes ago, pallidin said:

So, I have a question.

Is the new Invision software specific to whatever viewer "taste", that is , I.E. Chrome, etc.

What is the recommended and tested browser interfaces?

It's fully compatible with all modern browsers.

• Like 3

Things are really looking up!

Saru obviously has a lot of time in this.

If I could change one thing it would be delaying the "Edited by" feature for a few minutes like some other forums do, so if someone makes a minor typo it wouldn't  add unnecessary clutter.

• Like 5

I really miss "go to first unread post" at the top of the threads and I'm still a bit clunky trying to go where I want to go but otherwise all is well.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ZZ430 said:

If I could change one thing it would be delaying the "Edited by" feature for a few minutes like some other forums do, so if someone makes a minor typo it wouldn't  add unnecessary clutter.

The problem with that is it allows a dishonest member (and sadly they do exist) to say something and then change it and be able to deny doing so. Whilst the "edited by" feature doesn't prove what was said it at least proves that a change was made.

Edited to add:

It also serves to protect members against unscrupulous moderators  (a hypothetical concept as no such thing exists on UM). Since moderators are (for hopefully obvious reasons) able to edit other members posts the "edited by" feature provides proof that this has happened. 

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 6

Can't recall if it's been covered but I just figured out exactly how to make my content, now Content I Follow, to resemble the old way. Just mimic all the settings as I have in the screen shot. image.png

Before the change it showed me every post on everything. When you make changes don't forget to save it as a new stream. You'll see the option near the top right. When you do you can rename it to something else such as My Content but I chose to keep it content I follow. 

image.thumb.png.432c0f58986884d16aec785b

So i guess 0 responses to my last post in this section about "status" options means so far for mobile it just doesn't exist...

Well i trust Saru saying he is looking at the option and if it happens it happens i suppose...

It really is a fun option to have,(i'm guessing it's still there on desktop...)

Havn't been on my laptop on this site in over three weeks.

Wow - I like the changes Mr Saru ....I'll be back if I hit a snag or two (hey! that rhymes) :P

• Like 1

So how many likes is important now? Not sure I like that. I thought this was a forum where you could speak your mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antilles said:

So how many likes is important now? Not sure I like that. I thought this was a forum where you could speak your mind.

I don't understand what you mean - what, in relation to the like system, contradicts your freedom to speak your mind ?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Antilles said:

If you are be referring to one's total current "likes" from other's, now displayed above your total posts, it's for reference only and has no impact at all regarding what you want to say.

But, What I would like to see is a third line, "This current post" 

For example, I have 9,000 posts, but if I go back in history to my first post I still have 9,000 posts.

I would like a line that indicates my true post number at that time.

For example:

"Likes" 5,000

"Total posts" 9,000

"This post" 1 (or 107 or 3065 for example)

Edited by pallidin

Likes are already shown on every post where they always were and after three likes it starts counting for you. I like how it's referred to as "member reputation" now on our profiles. 

• Like 1

How do I put a signature on the bottom of my posts?

edit: cancel that, I just found out how to do it! :blush: It was in an odd place.

Edited by ouija ouija

10 hours ago, Saru said:

I don't understand what you mean - what, in relation to the like system, contradicts your freedom to speak your mind ?

I agree with Antilles to a point. With reputation defined strictly by the number of likes, there will be even less incentive to share controversial and unpopular opinions.  

5 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

I agree with Antilles to a point. With reputation defined strictly by the number of likes, there will be even less incentive to share controversial and unpopular opinions.  

Yeah sure, there are always shallow people that might react that way but the old like system never stopped people making controversial posts, so why should the new one?

Some of the more controversial posters have a lot of likes.

Besides, people tend to like posts if they agree with them, if no one ever likes a person's posts it really ought to be telling them something.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
rephrased to clarify.
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

With reputation defined strictly by the number of likes...

That is NOT true. "Likes" have always been available, and have absolutely nothing to do with "reputation"

Your reputation is your post content, whether anyone likes them or not.

For example, Ben, you may make a post that everyone actually likes and continues to respond to in the given thread, but may or may not actually decide to press "like"

Your reputation is what YOU SAY, not how many "likes" you might get. "Likes" are purely superfluous.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Without reading all 17 pages...3 things: It'd be nice to view 'my content' without having to click on my avatar then view 'my content'.