Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Docy, I notice that when you reply you're quoting yourself.  Don't hit "quote" to reply. Scroll down to the bottom of the thread and start typing in the "reply to this topic" box.

If you want to reply to someone, then hit quote and start typing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Sorry you're having problems, docya. I find the forum to be better than ever now. Please jump on here and share specific problems you're having. Maybe we can be of help (which is the purpose of this thread).

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 1:04 PM, Euphorbia said:

Are you one of Saru's minions?  :su:P

Aren't we all? I love this site. I'll gladly shoot at the good guy (while aiming poorly) and get shot (falling off a three story building).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Aren't we all? I love this site. I'll gladly shoot at the good guy (while aiming poorly) and get shot (falling off a three story building).

Yes, indeed.

I'm a bit puzzled about the complaint over "Likes." The only bad thing about it is you have way more than I do, which means you're a lot more popular than I. At lunch can I sit with you at the cool table?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Yes, indeed.

I'm a bit puzzled about the complaint over "Likes." The only bad thing about it is you have way more than I do, which means you're a lot more popular than I. At lunch can I sit with you at the cool table?

Like I said, the "Like" thing only showed up before Likely Guy, like, less than five years ago.

You probably said 5,000 really cool things before anyone could like, "like".

Aside: Trade you a peanut & jelly sandwich for that cookie.

I preferred what I call raw mode, where hitting “quote” produced the following:

[ quote name='X' timestamp='Y' post='Z']

post segment 1

post segment 2

post segment 3

[ /quote]

I’d copy this into word or notepad and edit it to my hearts content to something like:

[ quote name='X' timestamp='Y' post='Z']

post segment 1

[ /quote]

reply 1

[ quote]

post segment 2

[ /quote]

reply 2

[ quote]

post segment 3

[ /quote]

reply 3

And then go back and paste it into the appropriate thread.  This extra layer of GUI adds more time to editing and it’s easy to mess up.  I started out with command-line unix and 40 column mark-sense Hollerith cards.  I could write a class assignment directly on cards.  May I suggest to add an option to use the old editor (raw mode)?

Is the "popular post" feature still here? I haven't said anything thing clever enough to find out nor have I noticed from others. The one feature I always wanted was a way to see just my popular posts under my liked content.

• Like 1

OK, now that I've sorta settled back in.. I have a few issues but I shall just do them one at a time..

1. Signature now changes Youtube links into full Youtube windows!  While that feature is good in posts, do we really want a YT window appearing under every post for anyone who includes one in their sig?  I'd like to keep that link there (to Tim Minchin's incredible 'Storm' beat-poem) but as a link, not a window..  As soon as I realised my sig was doing that I deleted the link.

That's all for now, but may I digress in extremely pedantic fashion about Likes...  If you think about it, surely if you want to measure a reputation in some way that is meaningful (which you can't, but you can try.. :D) then it is not the number of Likes you have, it is in fact the RATIO of Likes / Posts.  If a person has only posted 5 times, but has 10 likes, then I think it's fair to say that they have many supportive friends woops I mean they are probably more worthy of a good reputation than someone who has posted 1000 times and also has 10 likes...

However, there's a bit of a catch.  That system is NOT fair to older participants (older in the sense of when they first became a member here).  IIRC, Likes were introduced about 4 years back (?), so for those who posted many many times before that, their ratios will always suffer..  Ah well, it's just like the rest of Life - as soon as you start counting/measuring stuff, everything goes bad...

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 0:14 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The problem with that is it allows a dishonest member (and sadly they do exist) to say something and then change it and be able to deny doing so. Whilst the "edited by" feature doesn't prove what was said it at least proves that a change was made.

Edited to add:

It also serves to protect members against unscrupulous moderators  (a hypothetical concept as no such thing exists on UM). Since moderators are (for hopefully obvious reasons) able to edit other members posts the "edited by" feature provides proof that this has happened. 

Is there a way to prevent people editing what's said in quotes? Particularly the amusing "fixed that for you" meme when someone changes something in a quote to say something amusing or changes the meaning of what the person originally said.

• Like 4

And while I'm here, can we filter the 'Activity' to just show threads we posted in yet? That option was removed wasn't it. You have to scroll down pages and pages and pages in 'All Activity' and be egale-eyed to look for the star against threads that you've posted in, and they're easy to miss so that you can easily lose track of a thread. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Pall, not true. They started under five years ago.

Unaware of that, as long as I've been here I should have known that. Jeeze! My bad.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

And while I'm here, can we filter the 'Activity' to just show threads we posted in yet? That option was removed wasn't it. You have to scroll down pages and pages and pages in 'All Activity' and be egale-eyed to look for the star against threads that you've posted in, and they're easy to miss so that you can easily lose track of a thread. 

Yeah, that is annoying. If I got you right, I also don't care who qouted me, I just want to go to my post.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, Saru said:

The forum has now been updated however there is still quite a lot of work to do to get everything running smoothly. This thread will track issues that are currently being worked on while also addressing common questions about the new format.

In progress:

• Missing quote boxes, emoticons and formatting in older posts, messages, statuses and blogs
  • The database is currently being rebuilt to convert these to the new format, this will take a few days. This issue will not apply to any new posts made since the forum was updated.

To do / known issues:

• Home page news and gallery comment forms disabled
  • Individual forum post count totals are wrong

Fixed issues:

• Users online list added to topics to show who is viewing them
  • Fixed issue preventing members viewing who liked a post
  • Home page now integrates with login system
  • Latest topics now correctly displays only the most recent topics
  • Topic descriptions are now working again
  • Fixed home page login issue
  • Search and activity feeds now working
  • Comment counts on home page
  • Home page forum stats

Other improvements:

• Replaced status updates widget with a better one.
  • Added "post preview" option
  • Re-added post numbers
  • Added "Back to Top" buttons

If you run in to any issues not covered here, please post them in this thread.

Thank you.

I noticed my photo disappeared... does that mean I need to find a new one ? .. also  some of the old threads were awesome... is it OK to revive some .. especially once you have new insights on the topics ?

19 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Yeah, that is annoying. If I got you right, I also don't care who qouted me, I just want to go to my post.

The 'someone quoted you' can be useful in taking you to the last post in a particular thread, I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

The 'someone quoted you' can be useful in taking you to the last post in a particular thread, I think.

In whatever case, though, I find it annoying. I would much rather JUST see my last posts, click and read from there.

But ok, I'll roll with the new format.

Edited by pallidin

Where did "Threads I have posted in" Go? I had the hang of it, but can't find the rotten thing since Monday. Operator error no doubt, but I appreciate it if anyone can help.

Small criticism in the new editor, scrolling all the way back up to post a link is a bit is a pain, the old editor that scrolled "within the box" was a bit more user friendly I found, anyone agree? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Where did "Threads I have posted in" Go? I had the hang of it, but can't find the rotten thing since Monday. Operator error no doubt, but I appreciate it if anyone can help.

Small criticism in the new editor, scrolling all the way back up to post a link is a bit is a pain, the old editor that scrolled "within the box" was a bit more user friendly I found, anyone agree? 

Yes, that's what we've been talking about, it was an option initially (under 'Activity' at the top), but it was disabled because it was messing things up, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Yes, that's what we've been talking about, it was an option initially (under 'Activity' at the top), but it was disabled because it was messing things up, I believe. 

Sorry mate, I did jump in half baked, and did not check the previous pages, I'll just keep checking in to see if we find a solution. 

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

OK, now that I've sorta settled back in.. I have a few issues but I shall just do them one at a time..

1. Signature now changes Youtube links into full Youtube windows!  While that feature is good in posts, do we really want a YT window appearing under every post for anyone who includes one in their sig?  I'd like to keep that link there (to Tim Minchin's incredible 'Storm' beat-poem) but as a link, not a window..  As soon as I realised my sig was doing that I deleted the link.

That's all for now, but may I digress in extremely pedantic fashion about Likes...  If you think about it, surely if you want to measure a reputation in some way that is meaningful (which you can't, but you can try.. :D) then it is not the number of Likes you have, it is in fact the RATIO of Likes / Posts.  If a person has only posted 5 times, but has 10 likes, then I think it's fair to say that they have many supportive friends woops I mean they are probably more worthy of a good reputation than someone who has posted 1000 times and also has 10 likes...

However, there's a bit of a catch.  That system is NOT fair to older participants (older in the sense of when they first became a member here).  IIRC, Likes were introduced about 4 years back (?), so for those who posted many many times before that, their ratios will always suffer..  Ah well, it's just like the rest of Life - as soon as you start counting/measuring stuff, everything goes bad...

I agree with your point about the YouTube windows in sigs ...... this is not good!  However, I don't agree with your assessment of the ratio of likes/posts. The person with 5 posts and 10 'likes' may simply have said something very amusing/witty ..... the person who has posted I,000 times and also has 10 likes may be posting controversial posts that are ahead of their time(:lol:), and which the majority can't relate to, or posting in less populated threads, or spending a lot of time standing up to the resident trolls and bullies(:angry:).

As for friends supporting each other, isn't that what friends are for? Good Heavens! even the mods do it. ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poppi said: