Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

That might be helpful.

Screenshot 2016-06-01 at 4.54.54 PM.png

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
edit to add screenshot

I think the disabled links were from before the update, so that makes sense. 

Anything on this ne?

1) Is the "My Content"  under the dropdown going to be active at some point?   If so or if not, what is the best workaround to see just the threads you have posted in?

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

1) Is the "My Content"  under the dropdown going to be active at some point?   If so or if not, what is the best workaround to see just the threads you have posted in?

Do you mean 'Content I posted in ?'

This is what is currently being investigated by the Invision developers - if a solution can be found then it will be back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saru said:

To those unhappy with the 'likes' system, what specifically are you objecting to ?

Is it the 'likes' counter above your post count in threads or is it the use of the word "reputation" in relation to the 'likes' system ?

What change(s) would you suggest in relation to your concerns ?

FTR, I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the Like system.  I think it is as good as you can make it, and here at UM it seems to be rarely significantly misused.  It offers a very simple way to simply say 'I agree' and give a fair(er) indication of how a discussion is being viewed by those who may not wish to make additional comments.  My point was simply that in any system where you introduce a new counter like that after the forum has been going for a long period, using it as a 'reputation' guide is, at best, just a very rough indication - those who have been here the longest have a disproportionately low level of likes compared to posts - and there is no real way to fix that (even if it was thought worthwhile..).

I just wanted to make people aware that it's just a guide and definitely should not be used as a comparison tool, or thought of as a 'race'..

Thanks for the advice about the YT link-only option - I missed that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

That might be helpful.

Nope (if that was intended for me). Stats are too huge

screen_UM_main_page_1.png

Is there any necessity to make numbers that big? Subforum thread headers (right column) are more important to be displayed in full, IMO

Wow !   You must be on this full time Saru !

here is the latest ;     the garble is cleared under my posts to just the text,  but now it is posting a video direct instead of the link .

It takes up a lot of the page and I went to delete it in my  profile .....   where is the section that controls what appears  at the bottom of my posts ?

26 minutes ago, back to earth said:

here is the latest ;     the garble is cleared under my posts to just the text,  but now it is posting a video direct instead of the link .

It takes up a lot of the page and I went to delete it in my  profile .....   where is the section that controls what appears  at the bottom of my posts ?

I've removed the video from your sig anyway as it had been taken down from YouTube.

You can edit your signature by going in to your profile and click "Edit Profile".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Is there any necessity to make numbers that big? Subforum thread headers (right column) are more important to be displayed in full, IMO

Ah, I thought you had been talking about the statistics at the bottom of the page.

The reason those post count numbers are that size is simply because that's their default size in Invision Board.

I guess they could be reduced a little.

8 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

@BMK Your browser is zoomed in

Yes, it is, zoomed max till the switch. But thats where complaint arises from folks with poor vision. When you zoom more, to the tablet, you loose thread header on the right, and you just have icon of the last poster, and here, BTW, stats are in the right place (right below subforum header), IMO

9 minutes ago, Saru said:

Ah, I thought you had been talking about the statistics at the bottom of the page.

The reason those post count numbers are that size is simply because that's their default size in Invision Board.

I guess they could be reduced a little.

That size could be reduced, simply remove, as far as I learned,  ipsDataItem_statsLarge.

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

My point was simply that in any system where you introduce a new counter like that after the forum has been going for a long period, using it as a 'reputation' guide is, at best, just a very rough indication - those who have been here the longest have a disproportionately low level of likes compared to posts - and there is no real way to fix that (even if it was thought worthwhile.)

You could go back into the old posts and like all of mine.  That would fix it.

Harte

• Like 4

On 5/31/2016 at 7:22 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Yeah sure, there are always shallow people that might react that way but the old like system never stopped people making controversial posts, so why should the new one?

It's true that the old system didn't stop people from making controversial posts, but before the system was put into place there was more support for controversial/paranormal views. The reputation system will continue that trend for less support.  

Some of the more controversial posters have a lot of likes.

There are always exceptions to the rules. Most of controversial posters get little support. 

Besides, people tend to like posts if they agree with them, if no one ever likes a person's posts it really ought to be telling them something.

That logic is flawed because it's much easier to agree and support a known entity or the path of least resistance. I've seen many threads where a members made an argument against 3-4 skeptics made a fair point but received no likes. A skeptic make a fair point and gets 5 likes because it's easier to support that view for that reason the reputation system is faulty.

14 hours ago, Saru said:

To those unhappy with the 'likes' system, what specifically are you objecting to ?

Is it the 'likes' counter above your post count in threads or is it the use of the word "reputation" in relation to the 'likes' system ?

What change(s) would you suggest in relation to your concerns ?

The reputation system is biased for the reason I gave in the earlier post.  There is little incentive for a member to upload there own material and answer questions, but if that was a parameter in the reputation then there would be more member uploads.The reputation system would be more useful if it was defined by more parameters.

2 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

The reputation system is biased for the reason I gave in the earlier post.  There is little incentive for a member to upload there own material and answer questions, but if that was a parameter in the reputation then there would be more member uploads.The reputation system would be more useful if it was defined by more parameters.

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill......:huh:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Euphorbia said:

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill......:huh:

I only gave an opinion, If you disagree with then explain your reason and maybe you'll change my mind. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

I only gave an opinion, If you disagree with then explain your reason and maybe you'll change my mind. 

The system of likes has been in use for the last four or five years with out any complaints that I know of and now that it technically has been changed to a reputation system doesn't change the fact that they are still just likes. I don't know as if any members (other than yourself) think of them as anything other than likes......so yeah.....mountain out of molehill.......

• Like 1

It's true that the old system didn't stop people from making controversial posts

Ben, I'd like to discuss all your comments, but I don't think this is the thread for that..  Why not start a new thread about the Like system and how you would like to improve it...?

I'm like all ears... :D

I'm still invisible!!!   I miss my profile picture of that wonderful cup of coffee.. who erased it?? or is it because I haven't posted enough lately ?   :( 

13 minutes ago, crystal sage said:

I'm still invisible!!!   I miss my profile picture of that wonderful cup of coffee.. who erased it?? or is it because I haven't posted enough lately ?   :( 

How's about finding and uploading another cup of coffee then ? :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

How's about finding and uploading another cup of coffee then ? :D

:)   forgot how to do this..  Just want to know who erased it in the first place.. shouldn't I have been notified  somehow ?  Just noticed my 10 anniversary here at this Forum  was March 14th !!! B)

Edited by crystal sage
just adding info :)

2 minutes ago, crystal sage said:

:)   forgot how to do this..  Just want to know who erased it in the first place.. shouldn't I have been notified  somehow ?

It's likely just a glitch, I'm sure no one erased it on purpose. And everyone was notified that there would be a total forum update- it should go without saying that there will potentially be some glitches that happen that also don't have specific notifications.

However.... To fix this, you can go to your profile- handiest way is to to click on your avatar- and then at the top of your page with be your avatar box with the option to put in an image.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, crystal sage said:

:)   forgot how to do this..  Just want to know who erased it in the first place.. shouldn't I have been notified  somehow ?  Just noticed my 10 anniversary here at this Forum  was March 14th !!! B)

yep ok -  maybe try google images if you like.....I'm sure you'll find what your looking for...then right click on 'save image'. It should then automatically go to one of your systems folders. Then go to your profile photo...click single file... follow the prompts... that should embed your pic. (well that's what I usually do) anyway good luck...I'm sure it will all work out :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crystal sage said:

I confess.  I needed that cuppa joe.

Harte

• Like 3

Signature now changes Youtube links into full Youtube windows!  While that feature is good in posts, do we really want a YT window appearing under every post for anyone who includes one in their sig? 

I know the video you are talking about, Charles. I dealt with that one today.

Any member with content in their signature you do not want to see can be individually turned off. Look in the upper right hand corner of the sig area for an X and a down arrow. Click it and options to hide that members sig, or everyone's, will appear.

To reinstate seeing a member sig you must go to Ignored Members in your Settings and clear it from the list.

This quote box system is still really awkward and fiddly. I'm sorry about this. :( 

• The title was changed to [Complete] New Forum
  • The topic was locked