Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Complete] New Forum

Saru

What I don`n get I get close to what this fourm was on my PC, but going to my lap top does want to do the same.

9 hours ago, Harte said:

I confess.  I needed that cuppa joe.

Harte

:) ... it's been a loooong time ....

13 hours ago, rashore said:

It's likely just a glitch, I'm sure no one erased it on purpose. And everyone was notified that there would be a total forum update- it should go without saying that there will potentially be some glitches that happen that also don't have specific notifications.

However.... To fix this, you can go to your profile- handiest way is to to click on your avatar- and then at the top of your page with be your avatar box with the option to put in an image.

tried... and somehow it went to background.. :)   I might get my kids to help again..

I had to like that. Interestingly enough it gave me a "you are not allowed to give this member a reputation vote" alert. To you and Dot, another Mod, it's happened twice.

It's a conspiracy, Mods are being denied their "likes".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

I had to like that. Interestingly enough it gave me a "you are not allowed to give this member a reputation vote" alert. To you and Dot, another Mod, it's happened twice. I said, "screw it" and did it anyways.

It's a conspiracy, Mods are being denied their "likes".

Wow i really can't believe "likes" have caused this kinda discussion lol

I use them for several different purposes...To alert someone i have observed their post and agreed without having to quote,a friendly exit outta a argument that i care not to continue,to be a smart ass lol,and several other reasons.

But i can positively say i have never hit "like" on someones post because they are more popular hahaha...This isn't 6th grade!

• Like 5

To try and change the subject.... :D

For anyone who like me, was frustrated with the new 'quote' system, you may, like me, have missed something obvious..  If you wish to interpose your comments several times within a big chunk of quoted text and don't see how to do it, just press Enter TWICE to break out of the quote...

You will be back against the left margin, out of the quote box, and the quoted parts will be intact above and below you.

Some stuff quoted above me

Here I am typing!

The rest of their post below me..

and so on...

Am I the only person who didn't spot this right at the start? :(  (And I also apologise to anyone who has already explained this, but this thread is getting rather long now...)

Edited by ChrLzs
due to a minor kerfuffle..
  • Like 1

My, I hadn't noticed that and it is more than a bit handy. 

Being limited to mobile the old way was a bit awkward.

13 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

To try and change the subject.... :D

For anyone who like me, was frustrated with the new 'quote' system, you may, like me, have missed something obvious..  If you wish to interpose your comments several times within a big chunk of quoted text and don't see how to do it, just press Enter TWICE to break out of the quote...

Ooh that's interesting.

You will be back against the left margin, out of the quote box, and the quoted parts will be intact above and below you.

Here I am typing!

and so on...

:D 

Am I the only person who didn't spot this right at the start? :(  (And I also apologise to anyone who has already explained this, but this thread is getting rather long now...)

Well, i don't think I did, so you get today's donut. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Ooh that's interesting.

By George...

I think you've got it, Otto!!  You clever little palindrome you!

Well, i don't think I did, so you get today's donut. 

I'm so relieved that you're not all laughing at me, like usual...

11 hours ago, crystal sage said:

:) ... it's been a loooong time ....

Well, you shouldn't have just hung it out there in front of everyone.  Somebody was bound to take advantage.

Yes, I blame the victim.

Harte

• Like 1

I have a question regarding the new forum and it's possible impact on computer performance.

Unless you switch off notifications, you get automatic notifications of likes, people quoting you, replies in the status updates section and replies to any threads you are currently browsing. To be able to recognise where you have posted, what status updates you have made, who has quoted you or liked you, etc, the new forum software must have a rather "intelligent" cookie scanning the forum from your computer, which would presumably have a performance impact. So, I want to ask if this impact has been studied and how severe is it?

I ask this because I have noticed that, seemingly since the new forum changes have been implemented, my computer has noticeably suffered an apparent slowdown in the speed of my internet connection. This may be unrelated, but may also be at least in part due to a cookie on my computer more actively requesting data from a site - and UM is the only site I visit where any significant changes have occurred.

Edited by Leonardo

This site, nor the notification system, will have any impact on the speed of your Internet connection.

Notifications don't work using cookies - a cookie is simply a piece of information stored by the browser, it can't actively scan anything. The mechanism for sending notifications involves a simple API and creating a message is as easy as a single line of JavaScript.

Also remember that if you don't have the site open in your browser, it can't possibly be impacting your computer in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saru said:

This site, nor the notification system, will have any impact on the speed of your Internet connection.

Notifications don't work using cookies - a cookie is simply a piece of information stored by the browser, it can't actively scan anything. The mechanism for sending notifications involves a simple API and creating a message is as easy as a single line of JavaScript.

Also remember that if you don't have the site open in your browser, it can't possibly be impacting your computer in any way.

Okay, thanks for clarifying, Saru. I called the tech support for my broadband supplier and they requested I first check "other options" - likely to avoid doing any work themselves! It's possible it's my broadband hub playing up as it is quite a few years old. Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Update:

• Forum post count totals are now displaying correctly again.

I also want to provide an update on the rebuilding of old forum posts to fix the formatting. This particular task has proven to be extremely problematic because the background process responsible for doing this keeps inexplicably stopping around half way through. It has happened twice now and because the forum is so large, even a single attempt takes days.

I have been in contact with one of the developers of the forum software who is helping to find a solution, however I want to apologize for the delay on getting this particular task done and offer some assurance that it has not been forgotten about - it is being worked on - it is just going to take longer than anticipated to finally get all the old post content showing up correctly.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Being overly concerned with the "Like" system seems to indicate to me someone who has real self-confidence issues. This little feature should in no way cause someone ever to hesitate to post something or start a new topic. You should do so with confidence, to share something of interest to you or to reply to a post with which you agree or disagree. In the end, whether someone "Likes" your post or not is really quite irrelevant.

I'm not overly concerned just showing that having a reputation defined by likes for the reasons I mentioned is flawed. Do you disagree with my claims? Why suggest low confidence for sharing an opinion. That's silly. This is supposed to be an open thread for all opinions.

I have no qualms about discussing my opinion against any member or even uploading my own material, and facing a barrage of skeptics. Yet there are some here here who may not have the confidence to do that or share these types of opinions  Saru asked how the like system contradicts your freedom to speak your mind. My concerns about the like system were brought about in private message. Another member expressed that they would not share their expertise if certain other member's were already active in the thread. I'm not that active or particularly sociable here, so if I came across a member with that point of view there are bound to be more.

The question is would another system help member's such as that to be more open to share their expertise no matter who has been active in thread, I can't say but it might be worth a try. 

On 6/2/2016 at 2:43 AM, ChrLzs said:

Ben, I'd like to discuss all your comments, but I don't think this is the thread for that..  Why not start a new thread about the Like system and how you would like to improve it...?

I'm like all ears... :D

I'm not sure this is some more 'tongue and cheek' comment from you but nevertheless I would be willing to do that, and it could be interesting  The only problem the new update is nearly completed so unless there is any chance to accept some changes it's pointless. If the decision makers are genuinely interested in adding changes to the system then it could be useful. 

11 minutes ago, Benfornow said:

I'm not overly concerned just showing that having a reputation defined by likes for the reasons I mentioned is flawed. Do you disagree with my claims? Why suggest low confidence for sharing an opinion. That's silly. This is supposed to be an open thread for all opinions.

I have no qualms about discussing my opinion against any member or even uploading my own material, and facing a barrage of skeptics. Yet there are some here here who may not have the confidence to do that or share these types of opinions  Saru asked how the like system contradicts your freedom to speak your mind. My concerns about the like system were brought about in private message. Another member expressed that they would not share their expertise if certain other member's were already active in the thread. I'm not that active or particularly sociable here, so if I came across a member with that point of view there are bound to be more.

The question is would another system help member's such as that to be more open to share their expertise no matter who has been active in thread, I can't say but it might be worth a try. 

Ok Ben, so for five pages now you've been telling us about your dissatisfaction with how likes looks now. You've made your point quite well that the system that has been in place for years just fine is a bad thing now that there has been a name change. 

Your opinion has been noted. Now could you stop please? This thread is really for known issues, updates and support, and that means of the tec kind. Your opinion sharing for pages has kind of gotten to the point of derailment over something that isn't a known issue, update, or tec support.

Again, please. It's difficult enough doing a forum upgrade in general. Leave this thread open for actual known issues, updates, and support.

• Like 5

On June 1, 2016 at 4:03 AM, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

The 'someone quoted you' can be useful in taking you to the last post in a particular thread, I think.

I want to see all of my quoted posts so that I can reply to the person who quoted me. It's just good manners.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rashore said:

Ok Ben, so for five pages now you've been telling us about your dissatisfaction with how likes looks now. 

Bit of an exaggeration there, don't you think? You're making it sound as if he's filled five pages all by himself! :lol: In fact, five pages back he made one post towards the end of the page, made no posts at all on the next two pages, three on the next and just the one towards the end of this page. There are plenty of other posters in this thread  who have made just as many, if not more comments about their own pet peeve.

And isn't he simply asking that now the site is being updated, this might be a good time to change the 'likes' system ...... if change was going to happen? Seems reasonable to me.

• Like 2

It's almost as if what's happening on this thread because of likes is exactly what the complaint is. Who'd a thunk that would happen. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

And isn't he simply asking that now the site is being updated, this might be a good time to change the 'likes' system ...... if change was going to happen? Seems reasonable to me.

The purpose of this thread is to report bugs and technical issues, not to request major new feature changes.

A debate over the merits or otherwise of a system we've had for over five years is not what we should be seeing here - that is a discussion for another day.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Just as an addendum... I now find that this doesn't always work.  It seems to be very erratic, and often you can press Enter as many times as you want and you won't break out of the quote...  I haven't found any rhyme or reason to this - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

It's not a huge issue, but there really needs to be an easy way to respond to individual parts of a quote...

• The title was changed to [Complete] New Forum
  • The topic was locked