Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human transplant organs grown in Pigs

seeder

Scientists grow human organs for transplant inside pigs

Scientists in the United States are trying to grow human organs inside pigs.

They have injected human stem cells into pig embryos to produce human-pig embryos known as chimeras.

The embryos are part of research aimed at overcoming the worldwide shortage of transplant organs.

The team from University of California, Davis says they should look and behave like normal pigs except that one organ will be composed of human cells.

The human-pig chimeric embryos are being allowed to develop in the sows for 28 days before the pregnancies are terminated and the tissue removed for analysis.

The BBC's Panorama was given exclusive access to the research for Medicine's Big Breakthrough: Editing Your Genes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36437428

• Like 1

I wonder if cloned humans are alive today?  I'd guess that there are at least a few.  It will be interesting to see how people - and governments - react to this when it becomes public knowledge.  When the human genome is synthetically brought into play I can't imagine the ethical gymnastics that we'll see.  Chimeras indeed :(

• Like 2

It sad how scientists are creating hybrids.In China they tried it in a man and human bone, hair was growing inside of  him . Who knows what kind of human  freaks scientists can create.:(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder if cloned humans are alive today?  I'd guess that there are at least a few.  It will be interesting to see how people - and governments - react to this when it becomes public knowledge.  When the human genome is synthetically brought into play I can't imagine the ethical gymnastics that we'll see.  Chimeras indeed :(

I wouldnt be surprised if some mega rich guy/company have done something similar

• Like 1

Anyone read the book "The Island of Doctor Moreau"?  Before its time it seems...

The Island of Doctor Moreau is an 1896 science fiction novel by H. G. Wells, who called it "an exercise in youthful blasphemy". The text of the novel is the narration of Edward Prendick, a shipwrecked man rescued by a passing boat who is left on the island home of Doctor Moreau, who creates human-like hybrid beings from animals via vivisection. The novel deals with a number of philosophical themes, including pain and cruelty, moral responsibility, human identity, and human interference with nature.[2]

At the time of the novel's publication in 1896, there was growing discussion in Europe regarding degeneration and animal vivisection. Several interest groups were formed to oppose vivisection, the two largest being the National Anti-Vivisection Society in 1875 and the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection in 1898.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Doctor_Moreau

• Like 2

THIS IS FROM 2008

Breakthrough in animal spare part transplants for humans

Blood vessels, tendons and bladders from animals are to be used in humans for the first time after a breakthrough in transplant surgery.

Scientists have overcome the problem of rejection, which has previously prevented animal tissues from being used in patients.

It opens the way for a range of new procedures using animal parts.

Children could be given pigs' heart valves that can grow with them, avoiding the need for repeated surgery; tissues such as ligaments, which have previously been difficult or impossible to repair, could be replaced.

By stripping the animal tissue of its cells with a series of chemical treatments, the scientists were left with a biological scaffold that provides a structure but no longer carries the factors that can trigger a recipient's body to reject a transplant. When the scaffold is surgically inserted into the patient's body, his or her own cells grow into it to create new tissue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3347664/Breakthrough-in-animal-spare-part-transplants-for-humans.html

7 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Click on 'Link' - fourth icon from the top left of the text comment box ( the chain ) paste the URL and then type something in the 'Link Text' and try see ~

I can't quote you either ... seems to be something with the setup of either your Laptop OS or your browser ...

edit : I see now I can't quote your post because its in 'quotes' ... seems I am as new to this new state of the forums as you are :lol:

Edited by third_eye
clarity

An international group of scientists has just announced their plan to create a synthetic human genome within 10 years - which means they're going to try to write a brand new DNA code for human life from scratch.

The ambitious undertaking, called Human Genome Project-write, could be the key to understanding human disease better than ever before, and it could also greatly reduce the cost of genetic sequencing. It's an incredibly exciting project for science, but what's worrying some is the fact that the project has been launched without the public having been properly consulted on any ethical concerns.

http://www.sciencealert.com/after-a-secret-meeting-scientists-announce-they-will-make-synthetic-human-genomes

• Like 1

I wonder: would a vegan accept a factory-farmed organ?

I guess I'd feel differently if I needed an organ transplant, but this seems a bit cruel to the pig.  I guess it isn't much different than growing the animal for food, from a moralistic standpoint, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

This possibility seems to help substantiate that humans are related to pigs in some way, from eons past.

This is immoral, but I'm not surprised.

I have been trying to imagine what type of person is able to sleep at night, while they inflict harm and suffering on living beings.  It's difficult to imagine.

:(

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I guess I'd feel differently if I needed an organ transplant, but this seems a bit cruel to the pig.  I guess it isn't much different than growing the animal for food, from a moralistic standpoint, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

This possibility seems to help substantiate that humans are related to pigs in some way, from eons past.

The reason they use Pigs is they are a similar size inside to us, thats why  in the war they would shoot pigs in different places so the medics could practice treating wounds realistically.

In a society that is happy to abort humans at so many months I dont understand why this would make anyone squeamish...

Edited by seeder

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

I have been trying to imagine what type of person is able to sleep at night, while they inflict harm and suffering on living beings.  It's difficult to imagine.

Ever eaten a hamburger? I have some sour news for you...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJNYC said:

Implanting cells into an embryo, then removing the embryo at a certain age, isnt exactly major surgery, so where is the suffering?

From the OP

The human-pig chimeric embryos are being allowed to develop in the sows for 28 days before the pregnancies are terminated and the tissue removed for analysis.

A Pig embryo at 28 days

pregnancy-and-parturition-19-728.jpg?cb=

Edited by seeder

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Ever eaten a hamburger? I have some sour news for you...

Right, that's why I no longer eat meat. 

3 minutes ago, MJNYC said:

Right, that's why I no longer eat meat. 

Researcher: Vegetarian Diet Kills Animals Too

Nobody's hands are free from the blood of other animals, not even vegetarians, he concluded. Millions of animals are killed every year, Davis says, to prepare land for growing crops, "like corn, soybean, wheat and barley, the staples of a vegan diet."

I don't believe there is any diet that is cruelty-free unless you are growing your own vegetables in an insect free environment. Hell, plants themselves may experience more than we give them credit for. Not trying to pick on you here, just bringing perspective for people that may not be aware of all the facts.

• Like 1

Some plants eat meat too.... should we be against those plants?   :lol:  putting those poor insects thru a slow painful death.....

9553954_orig.jpg

Edited by seeder

This isnt much different than farming to eat them. But i dont eat pork due to how toxic and parasitic it is, so i am wondering if the recepients will also recieve all this grossness with it. 

I am also wondering, as it now contains human dna, how likely it is that they are also experiencing a more human awareness before being harvested

My third concern is this. How long will it be before this creates a new pandemic of cross species disease? 

On 6/6/2016 at 4:49 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Researcher: Vegetarian Diet Kills Animals Too

I don't believe there is any diet that is cruelty-free unless you are growing your own vegetables in an insect free environment. Hell, plants themselves may experience more than we give them credit for. Not trying to pick on you here, just bringing perspective for people that may not be aware of all the facts.

I agree, no one's hands are clean and I don't like killing anything. I'm the person that puts a bug in a jar and puts it outside.

I understand that this isn't what most people do, but this doesn't make me a bad person (as I like to tell my mom) 

;)

• Like 1