Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass-casualty shooting at Orlando nightclub

Still Waters

The situation is still very fluid. Reports will change for awhile until a clearer picture emerges. It does seem as though authorities believe there is evidence pointing to radical Islam.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The FBI did say he was on their radar for some time and has made terrorism threats in the past.

Yes, I heard this as well during a news conference with an FBI spokesperson.

• Like 1

This nation needs to stop having people on thier radar. Round them up those who are on" the radar" or at another untrustworthy level and deport them. As crooked as politics are there is no such thing as political correctness. We need to stop being afraid to hurt peoples feelings and tell it like it is. We haven't started playing cowboys and jihadist yet, and that is where the nation is headed when people get fed up.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

This nation needs to stop having people on thier radar. Round them up those who are on" the radar" or at another untrustworthy level and deport them. As crooked as politics are there is no such thing as political correctness. We need to stop being afraid to hurt peoples feelings and tell it like it is. We haven't started playing cowboys and jihadist yet, and that is where the nation is headed when people get fed up.

Do you like your freedom? *POOF* it's gone!

• Like 5

It was announced on TV the shooters father is saying the shooter say two gay men kissing and that may be what set him off.

It wouldn't be an infringement on my freedom. I don't engage in such behavior. However, I would like to be able to go into a public place without needing to worry whether or not I am going to be a witness to or a victim of a mass shooting because someone else does.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

It wouldn't be an infringement on my freedom. I don't engage in such behavior. However, I would like to be able to go into a public place without needing to worry whether or not I am going to be a witness to or a victim of a mass shooting because someone else does.

First they came for the communists....

(snip)

and when they finally came for me there was nobody left to protest.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

And who's to say that "having the person on their radar" didn't just mean "he is (or was) a Muslim"?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

The reasons why he was on their radar will come out. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this news in America. Just awful:( Sending hugs across the pond :wub:

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Deport him?   Like back to New York?  Despite his ancestory, the dude was still American. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

It was announced on TV the shooters father is saying the shooter say two gay men kissing and that may be what set him off.

Could it be the young man was himself gay, but brought up in an environment of conservatism and repressive expectation to be hetero?

His act may not be a result of his ideology, but his anger and frustration brought about by repressing himself?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

And who's to say that "having the person on their radar" didn't just mean "he is a Muslim"?

It is being reported that he bragged about having ties to terrorist organizations so I think it was a little more than him just being a Muslim.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/12/fbi-suspect-bragged-about-ties-to-terrorist-organizations/

• Like 4

Just now, Leonardo said:

Could it be the young man was himself gay, but brought up in an environment of conservatism and repressive expectation to be hetero?

His act may not be a result of his ideology, but his anger and frustration brought about by repressing himself?

That is possible but I doubt it but we will see when things become more clear.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

It is being reported that he bragged about having ties to terrorist organizations so I think it was a little more than him just being a Muslim.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/12/fbi-suspect-bragged-about-ties-to-terrorist-organizations/

I'll still wait to hear if this is confirmed. I'm not defending Islam, I just don't want this to be Islam-related as it will only ratchet up the already highly-strung tensions, and will increase the rhetoric of hatred that some express.

I'm also concerned that people will associate this with Islamic fundamentalism even if the man had a different motivation - like the one I suggested above.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

And who's to say that "having the person on their radar" didn't just mean "he is (or was) a Muslim"?

I could care less if they are Muslim or not. Being newly instilled into the U.S and "on the radar" is not wise. They should never have been allowed in regardless of nationality or religion

Just now, South Alabam said:

I could care less if they are Muslim or not. Being newly instilled into the U.S and "on the radar" is not wise. They should never have been allowed in regardless of nationality or religion

He wasn't "newly instilled into the US", he was born there.

• Like 1

Oh well, chalk one up for extremist, homegrown or newly instilled. Many innocent dead. On the radar or not, it's too late.

• Like 2

I'm just thinking there is a misguided sense of what freedom is. Being able to go to a nightclub and enjoy the company of good friends, regardless of sexual orientation, is freedom. Being able to attend events in a public place without fear of attack is freedom. Supporting a person's right to evolve into a mass killer is not freedom. Feeling that keeping a close eye on people who exhibit the type of behavior that can potentially evolve into that brain set will result in your loss of freedom is paranoia. 

• Like 4

His father is reported to have said it had nothing to do with religion --- oh well --- that's that question answered then...because his father wouldn't lie would he ---

(/sarcasm)

• Like 6

It's a terrible tragedy, regardless of this monster's motivations.

• Like 6

The shooter was a Muslim born in New York to Afghan immigrant parents. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-12/orlando-shooting-suspect-identified-omar-mateen-us-citizen

The FBI has also indicated that this individual had been on some type of 'watch list'.

Also, he was armed with an AR 15 assault rifle, a hand gun and some type of 'device' they have yet to disclose.

Edited by Lilly
typo
  • Like 5

CNN is announcing that the St. Lucie police have given information and there is now an unconfirmed report that there may be a connection to ISIS. We'll have to see if this information is confirmed. The spokesman in Orlando said this information did not come from the FBI but a counter-terrorism organization. They believe this shooter has claimed allegiance to ISIS.

• Like 1

To those in the US.... beware, its on your doorstep too, just as it has been on ours for a while

How do we end this?: religious war?

• Like 3

• The topic was locked