Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MP Jo Cox injured amid shooting reports

Waspie_Dwarf

MP Jo Cox injured amid shooting reports

An MP has been injured amid reports of a shooting and stabbing in Birstall, West Yorkshire.

Unconfirmed reports suggest Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, was shot and stabbed. A man was also thought to have been stabbed.

It is understood the MP was holding a surgery at Birstall Library before the attack.

Read more: BBC News

This has been big news on the BBC, but why is the shooting/stabbing of a female MP any more "terrible" than the shooting stabbing of any person?

This is not to make light of the crime, and that I wish Ms Cox a full and speedy recovery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

This has been big news on the BBC, but why is the shooting/stabbing of a female MP any more "terrible" than the shooting stabbing of any person?

This is not to make light of the crime, and that I wish Ms Cox a full and speedy recovery.

Sadly, she has passed away as a result of her injuries

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-leeds-36543180

Edited by seeder

Just now, seeder said:

Sadly, she has passed away as a result of her injuries

has that just happened? I read the bulletin on the Beeb only about 1/2 an hour ago. It said she was critical, but still. Very sad for those who survive her.

Just now, Leonardo said:

has that just happened? I read the bulletin on the Beeb only about 1/2 an hour ago. It said she was critical, but still. Very sad for those who survive her.

Ive had the news on for a while, it may have happened literally now

Latest news here

She was apparently strongly supportive of allowing refugees from Syria in. Want to bet they'll be very careful to downplay any suggestion of a political agenda at all?
Whereas if the attacker had been Muslim ...

A 52-year-old has been arrested following the incident. He was named locally as Tommy Mair.

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Latest news here

She was apparently strongly supportive of allowing refugees from Syria in. Want to bet they'll be very careful to downplay any suggestion of a political agenda at all?
Whereas if the attacker had been Muslim ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-politics-attack-idUSKCN0Z21LS

The campaign has been canceled.  She was pro stay I think.  Doesn't it seem rather extraordinary that a very attractive, sympathetic figure would be so brutally killed one week before the vote?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, and then said:

The campaign has been canceled.  She was pro stay I think.  Doesn't it seem rather extraordinary that a very attractive, sympathetic figure would be so brutally killed one week before the vote?

Several reasons, and for the extreme right (as we can suppose by the Britain first screams of the perpetrator) the most evident is that she was very vocal when it came to helping refugees, especially Syrians.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, and then said:

Well, i don't think its a conspiracy, but one day after the Leave campaign goes ahead in eight polls this goes and happens, - If they try and link it to the BREXIT campaign and raise the possibility of suspending the Referendum Vote on the 23rd then it will be a tin foil hat moment.

• Like 5

I just hope nobody is low enough to use this to further a political agenda, whatever information comes out in the coming days. It's a tragic loss of a young mum.

Pardon the language, but what a *****d up world we live in sometimes.

• Like 5

All conspiracies and politics aside, events like this are sad where ever they happen. Prayers to this young woman's family and friends.

• Like 3

It reminded me of Gabby Giffords in Arizona.  She survived but it was just as stark and senseless.  The dad has a long road ahead - strength to him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, questionmark said:

Several reasons, and for the extreme right (as we can suppose by the Britain first screams of the perpetrator) the most evident is that she was very vocal when it came to helping refugees, especially Syrians.

It can be supposed, yes, but I wonder if it will be true?  No doubt some really angry man might have acted on his own and that's a tragic end of it.  OTOH if sympathy for the Remain camp spikes in polls, who would be able to prove they were accurate?  It's tragedy no matter how or why it happened but the timing is, to say the least, suspicious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Well, i don't think its a conspiracy, but one day after the Leave campaign goes ahead in eight polls this goes and happens, - If they try and link it to the BREXIT campaign and raise the possibility of suspending the Referendum Vote on the 23rd then it will be a tin foil hat moment.

The BBC where posting pictures of her in a dingy with her husband and two children in the Thames yesterday.  As it was complete PR disaster for Remain my first instinct was they were trying to link the two.  I really hope I am wrong.

• Like 3

My sympathy to her family and friends . I hope the media don't start ranting on about the killer being mentally disabled as anyone carrying a knife and gun has thought this out so its premeditated .Unfortunately we don't have the death sentence anymore 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

My sympathy to her family and friends . I hope the media don't start ranting on about the killer being mentally disabled as anyone carrying a knife and gun has thought this out so its premeditated .Unfortunately we don't have the death sentence anymore 

He shoots the woman twice.  She falls to the ground and he shoots her in the face, then begins stabbing her and kicking her.  When he is arrested he seems "calm".  Bizarre.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, and then said:

It can be supposed, yes, but I wonder if it will be true?  No doubt some really angry man might have acted on his own and that's a tragic end of it.  OTOH if sympathy for the Remain camp spikes in polls, who would be able to prove they were accurate?  It's tragedy no matter how or why it happened but the timing is, to say the least, suspicious.

Looks like he was a member of or connected to Britain First Party (Far Right) and has Jon Snowed her for her strong pro-immigration campaigning.

• Like 1

Though incredibly tragic and i give my deepest sympathy to her husband and children i've never seen so much media coverage on a murder before.

Have 'Britain first' claimed credit for the murder?

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Have 'Britain first' claimed credit for the murder?

How silly a question is that ?

• Like 1

She is dead. Another example of the right-wing extremism on the rise. How long does Europe intend to ignore that. First "only" asylum shelters and immigrants were attacked. Now Universities and students get attacked all across Europe ( a lot of these "minor" incidents happened). Then we heard about a French guy who wanted to conduct a massacre. A terrorist act in Paris. Now a politician got stabbed. This is getting out of hand.

Killer allegedly has a mental health issues history. This will rock the Brits.

• Like 1

Just now, Habitat said:

Killer allegedly has a mental health issues history. This will rock the Brits.

yeah the issue of being a right-wing fanatic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

She is dead. Another example of the right-wing extremism on the rise. How long does Europe intend to ignore that. First "only" asylum shelters and immigrants were attacked. Now Universities and students get attacked all across Europe ( a lot of these "minor" incidents happened). Then we heard about a French guy who wanted to conduct a massacre. A terrorist act in Paris. Now a politician got stabbed. This is getting out of hand.

As I said earlier "I just hope nobody is low enough to use this to further a political agenda"...

Firstly, familiarize yourself on the little that is known about the killer so far, i.e. that he is likely a mentally-ill loner with right-wing views, not a radical political activist.

Secondly, read your own posts in the thread on the Orlando shootings and ask yourself why there you look first to individual traits of the killer and secondly to radical Islam, yet here you do the exact opposite.

Thirdly, maybe show a little sympathy and respect to the loss of a young mum before jumping on your political soapbox.

• Like 3

Just now, LV-426 said:

As I said earlier "I just hope nobody is low enough to use this to further a political agenda"...

Firstly, familiarize yourself on the little that is known about the killer so far, i.e. that he is likely a mentally-ill loner with right-wing views, not a radical political activist.

Secondly, read your own posts in the thread on the Orlando shootings and ask yourself why there you look first to individual traits of the killer and secondly to radical Islam, yet here you do the exact opposite.

Thirdly, maybe show a little sympathy and respect to the loss of a young mum before jumping on your political soapbox.

I did that intentionally, since some people are so quick to blame everything on Islam. Those are also the people who with their speech support the rise of right extremism. (Which compared to Islamist terrorism is not a topic in the media) Whenever someone with a right-wing or Christian background does something horrible it is presented as being not political, but if it is  a Muslim it certainly is political. So to balance this one-sided situation I take up  the role of the person who points out the political background in these cases.

Anyway, I show my sympathy by supporting the EU. That is what she was standing for.