Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gospel of Jesus's Wife Likely a Fake

Still Waters

On 7/30/2016 at 8:08 AM, Elsupremo said:

In the secret gospel of Mark, Jesus seems to be having a relationship with Lazarus, or some young man that follows him around naked except for a blanket. That would make him gay, wouldn't it. All I'm saying is, if I were the son of god I wouldn't be running around with 12 other guys. But that's just me. He probably was also married just as David was married to both of King Sauls children Jonathan and his sister. He married Jonathan first. Saul bad to beg him to marry his daughter. So it runs in the family.

The young man is a literary device for spiritual allegory.

The Gospel of Mark which is seen by most scholars as the first written Gospel (circa 70's CE) is chock full of spiritual allegory. The fleeing naked young man is just one of many that's mistaken as historical kernels of truth.

Mark 14:48-52

"48 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Are ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and with staves to take me?

49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

50 And they all forsook him, and fled.

51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young man laid hold on him:

52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked."

Now who's this young man covered with common linen cloth which easily sheds away?

Mark 16:3-8

"3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.

6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid."

Now who's this young man wearing an uncommonly clean, and luxurious white Robe?

Now the argument for the hypothetical "Q" makes it look like a single document. In reality the unknown authors of the canonical Gospels drew on many sources, and some we no longer have. As for the young men in Mark we can see the spiritual meaning, and it's inspiration from Paul.

1 Corinthians 15:47-53 (circa 50's CE)

"47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

The garment of the young man fleeing Jesus represents the Earthly flesh that decays, and the empty Tomb young man's garment represents Heavenly flesh that's incorruptible.

When you have scholars looking at the Gospels as if it was history embellished instead of the parable within parables that it is? Then no wonder said scholars cannot see how useless the Gospels are for determining Jesus's historicity.

davros

The young man is a literary device for spiritual allegory.

Not that young man. SECRET Mark refers to a (probably) forged fragment of a letter from Clement of Alexandria in which he describes three versions of the Gospel of Mark which supposedly were extant in his time.

Two of those versions contain material that is missing from today's canonical Mark. Part of that gone-missing material are versions of the risen Lazarus story (which in our modern canon is found only in John). In one version (which "Clement" says is genuine), Jesus and a grateful Lazarus seem to get it on a few nights after Jesus had done Lazarus that big favor. In the other version (which "Clement" says is a Gnostic supplement to the real Gospel), Jesus and Lazarus strip off first and then get it on.

Either way, I think we all grok the writer's deeper artistic objectives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

~

;)

~

On 8/3/2016 at 4:21 AM, eight bits said:

davros

Not that young man. SECRET Mark refers to a (probably) forged fragment of a letter from Clement of Alexandria in which he describes three versions of the Gospel of Mark which supposedly were extant in his time.

Two of those versions contain material that is missing from today's canonical Mark. Part of that gone-missing material are versions of the risen Lazarus story (which in our modern canon is found only in John). In one version (which "Clement" says is genuine), Jesus and a grateful Lazarus seem to get it on a few nights after Jesus had done Lazarus that big favor. In the other version (which "Clement" says is a Gnostic supplement to the real Gospel), Jesus and Lazarus strip off first and then get it on.

Either way, I think we all grok the writer's deeper artistic objectives.

The two young men follows Markan wrap around parable to me. Besides Clement of Alexandria was active when John has been in circulation for some time with apocryphal works about as well.

third_eye

rapturecat.jpg

• Like 1

I think this one young man was Jesus`s cousin  John Mark the beloved on the mountain, and at the cross When he woke up that morning and saw Jesus walking  down the road with the cross  and ran out with only a cloth on, in fear ran away. Jesus did`nt lay with  Lazarus. he was sick with thyroid fever laying in a cave to cool with only a loin cloth on, Jesus  came to nurse him from the brink of death,nope no homo sexuality. Im  still out on whether Jesus was married or not  if he was it was to Mary Magdalene Lazarus `s sister the women he had saved.

Edited by docyabut2

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, zim10 said:

Why wouldn't a young Jewish man of those times not take a wife? That's what they did.

True, but if Jesus was just an archangel that never was on Earth? He wouldn't take a wife.

• Like 1

And if Jesus were actually a character written and played by the magician Simon, then he had Helen as his companion. I don't recall whether they were married, however.

If there was a Jesus and if he was a man, then he probably had a wife, although she might have died before he went walkabout. Paul is very big that widows and widowers should not remarry, maybe Paul got that idea from Jesus.

I think the point of this thread was that regardless of what really happened, the bit of "ancient scripture" that was promoted by a famous Harvard professor is probably a modern forgery.

It's not the professor's fault, exactly; it's the whole field of Jesus Studies in which she ia a big star. There's very little evidence about Jesus, and almost all of it is dicey to one extent or another. This bit is just a tad more obviously suspect than the rest. An accomplishment in itself.

• Like 1

1449870193178343.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zim10 said:

Why wouldn't a young Jewish man of those times not take a wife? That's what they did.

Jesus  may have been of the  Essenes,  the sext believed in marriage and some did not. In the Quman  there were a lot  more  women graves discovered  just recently, if I can ever find that report again:(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qumran

Edited by docyabut2