Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indonesia "UFO Crash" was meteor shower

Blood Angel

user posted image rSeveral loud blasts were heard in the Indonesian capital Jakarta and two other towns nearby early Sunday, although one radio report said it could have been a meteor shower. Local Metro TV reported residents heard the blasts around 7.30am (0030 GMT) in Jakarta, the satellite city of Tangerang, and also Serang in West Java province. El Shinta radio said it could have been a meteor shower. Dozens of callers aired by the radio spoke of a fast whitish object crossing the sky towards the west of Jakarta and a big explosion followed by what they said sounded like an echo. The sound of the explosion could be heard in Tanggerang, just west of Jakarta, the southern suburb of Depok and as far away as Bogor, some 60km south of the capital.

But police in Tanggerang, where many of the callers said might have been where the object had fallen, said they had no report of any fallen object and that police were still investigating the origin of the explosion. Muji Harjoto, an expert from the Boscha astronomical observatory in Bandung, West Java, told El Shinta that there were no reports of any spatial objects crashing and that based on the visual accounts the object was very likely a meteor.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Channel News Asia

Edited by SaRuMaN

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• Stellar

• Dog Demon

• rassy

DAmnit! Worst part is: Im getting sky news monday when my satellite is installed!

Where was the explosion? Middle of nowhere around the cty or in the city?

CTV (canadian news) are calling it a metoer shower - more details?

This other link suggest it wasn't a meteor:

Muji Harjoto, an expert from the Boscha astronomical observatory in Bandung, West Java, told ElShinta that there were no reports of any spatial objects crashing.

Fairfax

Edited by Blood Angel

This interesting report, tells a litte more:

Several callers to el-Shinta radio station spoke of a fast whitish object crossing the sky towards the west of Jakarta and a big explosion followed by what they said sounded like an echo.

Metro TV station reported that a large object, suspected to be a meteor, had fallen to earth, also to the west of the city.

Whats strange about this is, that if it was a large object, from space like a meteor i think indonesia would have known about it. Meteors leave huge craters if they are bigger than a car on impact. Also this one reports a echo...which i also don't understand:

Herald sun

Yes, the echo is quite strange. Meteors don't echo! Might have been it breaking the sound barrier, but in that case it would be a bunch louder...

Thanks for keeping me informed of your current movements, i'm sure that was huge news - i'll see if they reported it on reuters shall i? *

*i'm being sarcastic

This new report, has a comment from the military, who tracked the object on radar.

Indonesian air force radar detected an unidentified object falling toward the earth at a great speed before disappearing at around the same time as the noise was heard, a military spokesman said on condition of anonymity.

Media reports said an object that might have been a meteor was seen flashing across the sky above the capital, but did not make clear if it had hit the earth.

All reports seem to indicate, that their were two objects. One to the west of the city, and the one that was tracked by radar. Both caused noises like a explosion, one said to have had a echo, no-one knows if they struck earth.

Holy Crap! Those armed indonesian kids, erm, I mean, police, are actually strong enough to carry those M-16s!?

Wtf is up with all these kamikaze UFOs?! Can they not land in peace...?!  hmm.gif

411843[/snapback]

They shouldnt be called UFOs... they should be called UCOs!

Finally CNN pick up the story (probably the last to do so):

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) -- Witnesses have reported seeing an object with a tail of fire hurtling toward earth near Indonesia's capital, before a loud explosion was heard in several districts of Jakarta.

An expert speculated that it might have been a meteor.

Indonesian Air Force radar detected an unidentified object early Sunday morning falling toward the earth at a great speed before disappearing at around the same time as the noise was heard, a spokesman said.

An astronomy expert speculated that the object was a large meteor that exploded and then burned as it fell through the earth's atmosphere, around 100 kilometers (60 miles) above the surface.

There were no reports of any objects falling to earth in or close to the capital.

"My suspicion is that this was a meteor that burned up, causing a loud noise," said Astronomy Prof. Muji Raharto, from the Bandung Institute of Technology in West Java province.

Several callers to el-Shinta radio station reported seeing a falling object with a fiery tail before hearing a noise that sounded like an explosion at around 7:30 a.m. (0030GMT) in western districts of Jakarta.

Authorities are on high alert in Indonesia after several foreign governments warned last week that Islamic militants, blamed for a series of attacks in recent years, were planning more bombings.

This is the latest report, however if it did burn up 100km up in the atmosphere, how could the radar track it to the ground? How would they see if fall near the western district of the city...? Somethings not right here. I suppose we will have to wait for full roper details and a release from the indonesian government.

I've been reading abt possible meteors, with no official reference to UFOs, except for the story/news flash that started this thread. I highly doubt someone would shout UFO over something as simple as a meteor or two, else we would see UFO crash breaking news all the time. So, where did the UFO reference start in the first place and why is it now being refered to as possible meteor(s)? It's certainly possible a meteor crashed down to Earth, more probable than a UFO even, but that doesn't explain how it's breaking news either way.

And *sigh*, since I don't have cable or satellite, the only station that I do get that might show any breaking news, is showing as lost it's satellite (at least that's what it says on the screen). Maybe the UFO aka meteor knocked it out on it's way in.

I'm hoping for a UFO. Do you think if there was a UFO, would the world be told? Or do you think it would be covered up?

Very interesting but it looks like it's a meteor sad.gif

Oh, I know....that is the most likely outcome, after all. Oh well, it would have been interesting to see a world changing event. whistling2.gif I guess this was my excitement for the night ... hehe

It was a ufo alien.gif . In the news they said it was a meteor crash. Yet they mentioned that none of the radars picked it up. It had to be a ufo. I gues they're just trying to cover things up (again!).

Why did it "have to be a UFO"?