Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

City street runes

Opus Magnus

That's a literal eihwaz. Refer to the rune table on the previous page. It's merkstave like was said before, meaning backwards.

I like the red. Though I'm having a little trouble because some of the pics are too many bytes to post and my software is limited atm.

Here's a merkstave laguz. I had to darken the contrast a little too much to fit the file size requirements.

IMG_0011.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.jpg

Edited by Opus Magnus

4 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

I like the red. Though I'm having a little trouble because some of the pics are too many bytes to post and my software is limited atm.

Here's a free image resizing program, easy to use and does multiple images at a time: https://fast-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-309.2

It's a tiny program at 449.56 kB too, and takes about a second to install! ;)

Edit: Why don't you just ring the council/walk around until you find some active roadworks and ask the workers directly what they are?

Edit 2: This probably explains everything you need to know: https://www.digalert.org/pdfs/bestpractices.pdf

Appendix B (Page 95) gives the colour code. Page 104/105 has a list of common abbreviations.

Still think it's a conspiracy?

Edited by Timonthy
Edit. Edit 2.

Well, it's an intriguing thread, that's for sure.

In the UK, in days of yore, it wasn't uncommon for Craftsmen to develop their own "slang" (both verbal and written) to communicate with one another about their work (and possibly to "mystify" it to prevent the Great Unwashed from learning their trade secrets). In that light, the idea of a Public Works department adopting a Runic alphabet for road markings is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I have to say that at least ONE of those road markings does NOT look Runic to me. (the flourescent green one). It is simply an arrow pointing to a line, saying "this is the datum point", along with some numbers (presumably metrics). As for the "Z" thing, I couldn't comment.

Magnus... why not just email  your local public works department and ask them ?

• Like 1

Well, I actually think this mystery is pretty much solved. As Oniomancer referenced the tables showing that the symbols used in many of these trades appears to be Futhark on the previous pages. In about 30 mins on google you can find more engineering tables, and they imploy Futhark.

I don't think the people arguing here are even taking the time to compare the table of Futhark letters with the engineering diagrams, because it's quite clear and not waaay out of the ordinary.

I find it quite frustrating, and I think it makes a statement about the community as a whole. The rash judgement misleads people who don't know yet, and can lead people down the wrong path. Instead of civility, it seems more like a herd stampede, that isn't really even thinking. Unwashed really does make sense.

I use the Elder Futhark in my every day life.

I have a set I created from a Sequoia branch and find it a very effective tool for working with the subconscious.

I build scenery for film and television and am a master woodworker by trade.  When I'm laying out parts for complex projects, I prefer to label all my parts using the Futhark. 

I also use, create and mark projects with 'bind runes'.  Where you overlay several runes into one rune, combining their properties in your subconscious for a desired effect.  My glue patterns are usually done in runic script as well.  Mostly to entertain myself while I'm working and to keep things interesting... rather than just slop glue on two pieces of wood, I'll take two concepts I am working on in my internal life and then use those runes to bind two pieces of wood together... using the old Hermetic principle of "As Above, So Below".  To reinforce symbols from the subconscious into my conscious activity.

My group was commissioned to create a large round table for a NATO summit in Colorado back in 2000, I worked bind runes into the underside of the table focusing on runes that would increase listening, compassion and open heartedness. 

8 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

Well, I actually think this mystery is pretty much solved. As Oniomancer referenced the tables showing that the symbols used in many of these trades appears to be Futhark on the previous pages. In about 30 mins on google you can find more engineering tables, and they imploy Futhark.

I don't think the people arguing here are even taking the time to compare the table of Futhark letters with the engineering diagrams, because it's quite clear and not waaay out of the ordinary.

I find it quite frustrating, and I think it makes a statement about the community as a whole. The rash judgement misleads people who don't know yet, and can lead people down the wrong path. Instead of civility, it seems more like a herd stampede, that isn't really even thinking. Unwashed really does make sense.

I don't think I'm the only one here who don't really get what you are trying to present here, so maybe it would help if you tried to explain what this supposed conspiracy is all about ?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 11:48 PM, Timonthy said:

Here's a free image resizing program, easy to use and does multiple images at a time: https://fast-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-309.2

It's a tiny program at 449.56 kB too, and takes about a second to install! ;)

Why? Why would you do this? It's like giving a toddler a gun and then saying, "Play safe!"

This is a complete non-mystery, and giving assistance to the OP is acting like there is something here worthy of thinking and discussing.

If the OP was really on to something, he'd write about how the real figures behind this conspiracy communicate chiefly through smells and howls, and you can't take pictures of those.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Why? Why would you do this? It's like giving a toddler a gun and then saying, "Play safe!"

This is a complete non-mystery, and giving assistance to the OP is acting like there is something here worthy of thinking and discussing.

If the OP was really on to something, he'd write about how the real figures behind this conspiracy communicate chiefly through smells and howls, and you can't take pictures of those.

--Jaylemurph

I just wanted to let it spiral further into absurdity.

I should know better. 

• Like 1

Well, I've taken more photographs.  I don't really see the need to put any more up here than these.  I mean, in a 15 minute walk from home I took all these plus more that I decided not to put up.  But, I've been to many different cities, and it's all the same.  It's not hard to find them, they're all over the place.  But, in here there are some laguz runes, and Eihwaz.  The tell-tale sign is the Eihwaz rune, I think, that first gives away that they are Futhark.  Also, note the Isa surrounding the Ingwaz runes on both sides.  That's a typical pattern to use the Isa's around them.  Also there are Tiwaz runes with the squigly S on it.  These are the most common runes.  There are some others that are rare, but mostly these ones are seen.  I guess some cities have a different engineering scheme for their underground, so different cities also will have different runes in them.  Which might be interesting.

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

Edited by Opus Magnus
waiting while to upload more images due to the file size limit atm

• 11 months later...

Someone asked about this thread a month ago or so, so here it is with a couple more runes I've found. The first one looks like a merkstave Ansuz with a Laguz rune on it. The first letter in the second one looks like a merkstave Sowilo with a Tiwaz on it, which looks like an N spelling out No.

Image473.gif

Image165.gif

On 10/17/2017 at 3:24 AM, RoofGardener said:

In the UK, in days of yore, it wasn't uncommon for Craftsmen to develop their own "slang"

Magnus... why not just email  your local public works department and ask them ?

Regarding slang: You should see the 'symbols' friends and I used to mark for demo. 

Regarding email: You beat me to it, though I was gonna say call.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:29 PM, Opus Magnus said:

I invoke Jehova and the elder Gods to seek vengeance on you.

I can assure you I've probably dealt with The Elder Scrolls more than most here. The elders themselves are of no use, they just brag about how retirement is great and how they save money with AARP discounts. 

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

They. Are. Utility. Markings. 

Not runes. Not conspiracies.

Comes in handy too. Step 1 of digging a footer is calling and having an area checked. 

Long time ago I managed to cut right through an irrigation line with a post hole digger. Easy fix but really annoying cause then had to take time out the day to make a hardware store run and fix the pipe. Also was praying sprinklers didn't come on.