Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
jethrofloyd

The Best Mystery Movies

jethrofloyd

Well, we have a threads about the best horror and ghost movies. I'm curious, what are your favorite mystery movies? :)

My list:

Mullholand Drive

The Game

Mystic River

Insomnia

Donnie Darko

Blue Velvet

The Box

Triangle

The Number 23

The Shutter Island

• Like 1

Farmer77

Perfect Getaway is one of my favorites. 

• Like 2

Claire.

That's a great list. Practically all the ones you listed are twitch psychological thrillers, which are my faves. They involve protagonists whose conception of reality or self-identity is revealed to be mistaken. Typical plot devices include: hallucinations, drugs, mental illness, mind control, emotional distress, guilt, suppression, amnesia, memory, surrealism, time-travel, brainwashing, dreams and death. 

Other good ones include: Boxing Helena, The Machinist, Jacob's Ladder, Memento, Inland Empire, Vanilla Sky, Lost Highway, A Scanner Darkly

All also fall under the Mystery genre.

• Like 2

Farmer77

How could I forget Momento?? and I would like to add The Usual Suspects. 

• Like 2

Claire.

Memento and Jacob's Ladder are two of my favorites. Shutter Island was pretty good too. Oh and Mystic River. That ending!

• Like 1

LV-426

Mystery is a bit harder to define than ghost and horror I'd say. It covers a much broader spectrum.

Some great films mentioned so far. I'd add Gone Girl as one of the better recent movies, and Rear Window and Vertigo for some classic Hitchcock.

• Like 2

HalfAnIdiot

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo; Seven; Zodiac; Source Code; Prisoners (sorry for the Jake Gyllenhall trifecta); Gone Baby Gone; Laura; Chinatown... for starters.

• Like 3

Oniomancer
On 6/27/2016 at 11:31 AM, Clair said:

That's a great list. Practically all the ones you listed are twitch psychological thrillers, which are my faves. They involve protagonists whose conception of reality or self-identity is revealed to be mistaken. Typical plot devices include: hallucinations, drugs, mental illness, mind control, emotional distress, guilt, suppression, amnesia, memory, surrealism, time-travel, brainwashing, dreams and death. 

Other good ones include: Boxing Helena, The Machinist, Jacob's Ladder, Memento, Inland Empire, Vanilla Sky, Lost Highway, A Scanner Darkly

All also fall under the Mystery genre.

Angel heart..

• Like 1

gerryko

Zodiac

Finder of Lost Things

Gaslight

North by Northwest

Shutter Island was great but my all time favorite is Vertigo with Rear Window coming in a close second.