Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goats would make good pets, say scientists

UM-Bot

I have known this because of my grandpa's goats.

I had a neighbor who had a goat last year. I agree with the article, it was a very nice pet. A loving and kindly animal. I used to go to a auto junk yard sometimes. Next to it in a fenced in area were three donkeys. Every time I went there the donkeys would run to the fence to be petted. They seemed very nice, too.

Goats are pretty awesome if you've ever spent time around them. Very smart animals; pigs, also. Or maybe I'm only as smart as one so I think they're smart, too?

Mmmm...goat curry.

• Like 1

They have the added benefit of being living lawnmowers.  I would love to have a couple of goats, but the law says no, so I must mow. 

• Like 3

There are enough unwanted pets in kennels wanting a new home, we really do not need to add goats to the list because "scientists" say they would be good pets, Do not get me wrong, i am not disputing the study - at all, i am just concerned that some may go out and buy a goat because little Johnny or Chantal wants one for xmas. 
Goats are already domesticated, this is not new news:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/domestic-goats-zmaz70ndzgoe.aspx

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There are enough unwanted pets in kennels wanting a new home, we really do not need to add goats to the list because "scientists" say they would be good pets, Do not get me wrong, i am not disputing the study - at all, i am just concerned that some may go out and buy a goat because little Johnny or Chantal wants one for xmas. 
Goats are already domesticated, this is not new news:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/domestic-goats-zmaz70ndzgoe.aspx

Parents just need to learn not to indulge their child's every whim. It's more than ridiculous sometimes.

• Like 2

Just now, Child of Bast said:

Parents just need to learn not to indulge their child's every whim. It's more than ridiculous sometimes.

True, its not even their children`s whim, there are many irresponsible adults out there with dogs, and the debate still goes on about licenses and training.

Would goats have to be chipped too?

As I said before, there domesticated goat is not new news, so I am not sure what these scientists have been doing, its all been said before. Now they are just advertising it more, why?  

• Like 1

Ok, when dog is unwanted you have to give him away, when goat gets unwanted -> Goat Kabob...I rest my case....can goats make a good bbq ?

As someone who has some goats, I'd say they are not on par with a dog. The dog recognizes you as leader, and is affectionate partly because of that. The goats just seem to think that we're just there to feed them. They seem to regard me as an especially big dog, and not a fellow goat. Though I think my beard would put me firmly into the goat camp many times.

We lost two little goats to some kind of cat.. probably a wandering cougar. The plan is to get a few more baby ones soon. They do do a good job eating down the berry bushes. Also eat the flowers though... :lol:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, freetoroam said:

True, its not even their children`s whim, there are many irresponsible adults out there with dogs, and the debate still goes on about licenses and training.

Would goats have to be chipped too?

As I said before, there domesticated goat is not new news, so I am not sure what these scientists have been doing, its all been said before. Now they are just advertising it more, why?  

they chip livestock.  will chip humans, thus the mark of the beast.

7 hours ago, Aardvark-DK said:

Ok, when dog is unwanted you have to give him away, when goat gets unwanted -> Goat Kabob...I rest my case....can goats make a good bbq ?

shouldn't use pets as food.  I decided this in the 80s when I watched a pet cow get shot in the head.

I'm leaning toward the pet rock. No feeding, litter box, pooper scooper, barking, scratching, fur balls, fleas or allergies. I think I'll name you Sylvester Stallone. Sit. Stay. Good boy!

• Like 1

they are wonderful pets, they recycle almost anything and the milk and cheese is great . and goats, octopus, sheep and toads have this same rectangle shape eye and through the wonders of science, you can too , goat eye contacts !

Goat_Eye.jpg

508b1f304119agoatseye_large_medium.jpg

I've known two people who had goats and can say those animals are natures trouble makers lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

they are wonderful pets, they recycle almost anything and the milk and cheese is great . and goats, octopus, sheep and toads have this same rectangle shape eye and through the wonders of science, you can too , goat eye contacts !

Goat_Eye.jpg

508b1f304119agoatseye_large_medium.jpg

I never had a goat but neighbors did. They were nice but as a pet I don't like something that eats everything in sight including clothing. All animals are smarter than given credit if we take them in a as a pet.

My spouse has a cocker spaniel that we often call the fat goat.  He also eats everything insight even when not hungry. He's still traumatized from other owners ignoring him in crate after being an unwanted Christmas pet, he was on his way to be put down at pound by owner and we were asked to take him in. He has eaten, carpets, plaster, light bulbs, razor blades, bones, frogs, birds, cats, bed covers, paper towels, weeds etc. We feed him well and he has chews toys but this goat dog is always hungry! I don't know how he never got sick from what he's ate. Vet has never had to treat him and was amazed by things going  through him with no damage!

I imagine a real goat pet would be just the same wanting to eat everything in sight all the time. It's hard to find intelligence in an animal that only thinks of food. The dog needs swimming and playing constantly or treats as a distraction. 

Goats are cool looking and give milk but as a pet what would they do besides following for food or sex? 

I'm serious how would one play with a pet goat?  At least the psychotic goat dog is a friendly dog unless you are a small animal!